RamboCritic

Rambo First Blood Part 2

I am reviewing the film Rambo First Blood: Part 2 for my Vietnam Film class. In the film Rambo is dropped into Vietnam from what appears to be something similar to a Gulfstream twin engined personal jet. He jumps from the plane in front of the wing and the jet engines. I have absolutely no experience or knowledge of skydiving, but it seems to me that to jump from a plane in this manner is very dangerous. Couldn't Rambo have been sucked into the jet engines or been anihilated by the wing?

does anyone have an opinion about this matter? thanks
Darwin
--------------------------------------------

No. But that's the quick answer. The longer explaination has to do with the fact that the exhaust comes out of the front while the air that the blades are pushing go out the back. So, he would have gotten pushed by that hot an exhaust. And yes, it is hot. That's probably why he was yelling so much...because it was hot.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

so you are telling me air comes out both the front and back of a jet engine? can Rambo breath out of his ass too?

(This post was edited by RamboCritic on Oct 25, 2004, 9:17 PM)

edit 2 less personal...

keep tryin!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

so you are telling me air comes out both the front and back of a jet engine?

Yes in certain conditions. If this happens there are a lot of flames!:P

Proper subject should be:
Are you bored? OR
Are you busy at work?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

LOL..........LOLOL........LOL:D:D:D:D Learning about Vietnam from rambo!:D:D:D You should study Skydiving, i recomend Point Break, Dropzone and Terminal VelocityLOL....:D:D:D
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Rambocritic, eh? How can you possibly criticize Rambo? Without people like Rambo we could not possibly have achieved the resounding victory in Southeast Asia that we did. Or peace with honor or whatever.

From the question you ask you might surmise that the whole of the script was cranked out by a 4-F wannabe whose knowledge of the military and parachute operations was and is nonexistent.

These people make MILLIONS of dollars. They MUST have the inside scoop on the way things really work. You dare to question HOLLYWOOD? Well, if you're so smart, how come you're not rich?

Anyhow, the short form of any analysis of any of the "Rambo" series (with the exception of the book "First Blood" by David Morell, which was okay) is that it is entirely nonsensical. It was written by Sylvester Stallone, who is a dyed in the wool civilian.

The James Bond series has a more solid basis in fact than does the Rambo series. Ian Fleming was, indeed, an Admiral in Naval Intelligence, and created his title character as a goof - the exact opposite of what a spy really is. Instead of being sleazy people trying to get peoples nastly little secrets to leverage information, 007 was suave and sophisticated.

Many of the devices provided originally by Q wound up in production for the masses, the Nikonos and office pagers being examples.

Thus, your treatment of any questionable part of any "Rambo" story line should be simply "this is patently absurd because...."

The only Vietnam film with a core of reality is "Full Metal Jacket." Michael Herr spent a year in the bush as a journalist - to include bunkered down at Khe Sanh during the siege - and captured much of the nature of the Marines he so admired in the film directed by Stanley Kubrick.

"Platoon" shows the lack of perspective that comes with being a line grunt. Your view of the world is what you see out the back of a deuce and a half, and most would have to do a great deal of research to find out just what the hell they were actually doing. Oliver Stone drew the inaccurate conclusion that his presence on the battlefield provided him with a global comprehension of the conflict, but his film demonstrated convincingly that his understanding was both very local and flawed.

When reviewing films about any conflict, do so with a great deal of skepticism. It is a rare piece of film that approaches a balanced and impartial treatment of a conflict, and most are little more than fantasy. Witness the "Rambo" series.

Blue skies,

Winsor

I think if you cross reference this movie with the time honored classic "Eraser" (possibly talk to a pre-law student who is learning about the government's witness protection program by reviewing that film), you will see the correct procedure would be for Johnny to toss a chair into the engine first. The ensuing FOD (Frickin' Outrageous Drag) damage would change the airflow enough to permit the jump.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

The James Bond series has a more solid basis in fact than does the Rambo series. Ian Fleming was, indeed, an Admiral in Naval Intelligence,

If you're being really factual Fleming only reached Commander in the wavy Navy (reserves) definitely not Admiral. did work in intelligence though.

The only Vietnam film with a core of reality is "Full Metal Jacket." Michael Herr spent a year in the bush as a journalist - to include bunkered down at Khe Sanh during the siege - and captured much of the nature of the Marines he so admired in the film directed by Stanley Kubrick.

Dispatches by Michael Herr is just an awesome book. So well written and with incredible stories. recomend it to anyone.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback. I have to write a review for the movie telling what was wrong about its perspective on Vietnam. Where to begin...Well, the first thing I would say is I don't think soldiers in Vietnam wore anti-troll pendants and i would thank you guys for pointing that one out for me. But my question for you knowledgeable folks here was simply, You're not supposed to jump out of a jet airplane or propeller airplane in front of the engine and in front of the wing right? (except when you wear the anti-troll pendandt, and when you have special engines that blow air both ways). I thank you for your perspective and I would really like some feedback that I can use in my review. thanks

Assuming you're on the up-and-up, in front of a jet, or in front of a wing, are not normally considered to be good places to jump out. In a propeller airplane, I'd consider that to be a hamburger door.

But if you're looking to critique the film, I think they're saying that there's a whole lot more relevant stuff to critique it on than its technical accuracy with regards to skydiving.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Yeah, but, well, being a girl with a heart-healthy pear shape, I have plenty of ass to share :)
Anyway, it's way more satisfying in the long run just to give the answer and figure he's young and clueless, than to figure he's really trolling. I know a lot of young and clueless folks :P

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hey! I may be young and clueless but, like Rambo, I make up for it in heart. and really isn't that what Rambo taught us? that superior brains and technology can be overcome by the size of your heart? The sheer desire to overcome and......ok whatever, it may sound like a dumb question, is jumping out of an gulfstream type aircraft from the front door as dumb as it looks, and i already know the answer but gees guys!!! I just want some affirmation!!