DaGimp

Not sure what to do

Heres the deal, alot of you know me and who i am, not here online, but really who i am.

Well, i was on orders for Ft. Polk LA, and actually still am, but that is someplace i have decided that im not going. It would make it difficult for me to partake in my true love, skydiving. And recently I have just lost all type of motivation with the army. Now there is a new thng out where they will be changing peoples jobs if needed...WTF now i cant even pick my own career field??? My orders are supposed to be deleted, but as of yet they are not. So with 8 years in service I am basically down to a few options..

1. 9 years in service...almost 10, get out and find something else to do with no school beyond highschool.

2. 9 years in service, get out and go to school

3. 9 years in service, suck it up for the second half of my career and retire, but be miserable.

I have already decided that the only way that will change my mind about staying in is I have one more year to try for the Golden Knights, if i make it next year (3rd times the charm??) then i'll stay in.

Dont get me wrong, I have weighed the options, the army is a steady check, major benifits, full medical.....which i use alot, full dental......who needs teeth, early retirement.

But......get out, be a DZ bum, and skydive......B|
thoughts?
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

That was my point. If you really don't want to go to school, then don't, otherwise you'll be miserable trying to go to school. If you don't have a goal, then school is sort of just a "thing" that won't do anything but piss you off trying to deal with classes full of dumbass kids.

On the other hand, a diploma opens up other career opportunities...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

School can include a lot of things that aren't necessarily college, and the GI bill can pay for them too. I'm thinking about things like nursing, fixing things, a whole lot of jobs where having a leg up helps.

So no matter what you do, consider finding a community college that will give you a leg up on the kinds of knowledge that will help you. It can be part of the way to the life you want. And I'm not talking English Composition here, either.

Even if you were to decide to work construction; well, there is education that you can get to supplement OJT for that.

And yes, don't be miserable.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Jake,

Only you can decide what's best for you, my friend. Looks like you need to do some serious thinking about what will make you happy and what you want out of your life.

Good luck making the decision. Many hugs, my friend. :)
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

School can include a lot of things that aren't necessarily college, and the GI bill can pay for them too. I'm thinking about things like nursing, fixing things, a whole lot of jobs where having a leg up helps.

I'm glad you said that, I was definately thinking within my own little box on this one. Yup, you know I've always thought going to a mechanic school would be a blast, learn the real way how to fix cars/motorcycles, instead of the way I learned, which is dirty, grease and a wrench in my hand.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

learn the real way how to fix cars/motorcycles, instead of the way I learned, which is dirty, grease and a wrench in my hand

The real way is to use both sets of knowledge. You can't get there only through school, any more than a freshly-minted lieutenant can lead a platoon (or whatever it is besides his own ass a freshly-minted lieutenant leads). But if you add the school skills to real life, you end up with the richest skill set.

Because for most people, it takes both to really open your eyes to the possibilities.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

You didn't say what your MOS is. If those skills transfer to a high-paying civilian job that you can do in the place of your choosing (near a DZ), then that would seem to be the ideal option.

I got out of the USMC after five years. It was bad enough being a low-ranking trooper having to take crap all the time. But as a Sergeant, I was supposed to start dishing it out. It just wasn't me. I didn't want to have a career being an asshole, when I didn't feel it was necessary to get the job done.

You gotta be happy.

Have the service re-train you to do something you enjoy.

Become a civilian, doing what you do now.

Or if the skills don't transfer, go back to school, and learn something that will pay you the big bucks, so that you can afford to do all the things you've dreamed of.

Just an FYI on the involuntary MOS change deal...

My lil' bro is being retrained in supply in a couple of weeks and expected to deploy immediately after. :( He had originally chose an MOS that he felt he could use on the outside (HVAC; Air conditioning/heating stuff) but apparently our military is wearing thin of supply over yonder, and so with a new wife-to-be and son (they are getting married next week in a court house because of this), off he goes...:(

I'm sure glad I'm out. I was communications, in a field I'm afraid is also in high demand on that side, so I've heard from friends.

Good look on whichever you decide Gimp...just trying to give you some more 'real-life' stuff to consider here...
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

There is no reason you couldn't have been taking classes while you are in. I got every bit of my college education while on active duty and in a very-busilly-deployed SF unit. Do what you want, Jake. I can tell you in all certainty, though, that having that retirement check at age 40 was fucking NICE. There is nothing stopping you from going into a more many, sexier career field except yourself. Plenty of shit to get into.

See you for coctails tomorrow.

Get out. Cash your GI bill in and go to school. Study something you love. An education is never wasted. Nothing good comes from being trapped in a job that you are done with. I've got three years to go in a job that I've been done with for the last ten years. It truly sux.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

school.

you could either:

1. stay in the army and take advantages of the provisions the military makes for soldiers to get an education

or

2. get out, and go to school. a community/junior college is a good way to get back into the routine of education, and at around $20 a unit, it's not too expensive, which makes it much easier to take out stafford loans (which you're guaranteed to get) and pay your rent and expenses with the loans while you go to school. Additional loans, such as Bank of America's education maximizer loan, are also available, especially if you have a relative willing to be a guarantor. The financial aid office at the school will help you. Also, there are many scholarships out there for former military. After you finish your general education requirements, you can transfer to a four year university and finish up. Hopefully in your time at the JC, you'll find a subject you like and want to major in. Doesn't much matter what it is, most employers just care that you have a degree.

Best of luck!!!

Disclaimer: I don't know you, and I've never been in the military.

Option three sounds like shit. All the money in the world ain't worth shit if you hate having to get up in the morning.

Options 1 and 2 aren't mutually exclusive. You mentioned that you're in communications - what kind? There's plenty of courses to help military/ex-mil folks rejig their skills for the civilian world.

I was communications

thats what i am

:(.

I was 31C back when that was a radio operator, I know they've combined that with the cable dogs and have a more 'universal' MOS code for it now.

Hope you like sand, buddy. [:/]
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Jake, talk to Wingi. He's going Palace Chase right now.

yup but i don't thik they call it the same thing in the army.... pretty much i'm transfering directly from active duty to the reservs.... i'll be changing jobs and moving back to ohio (probly gona end up stationed in indiana though)..... tryingto get an transprtation managment (air cargo) job.. get my second assosiates degree inthatand hopefullyby that time they will have the c-5 at wright paterson and theni can try and get a flight engineer job there....... who knows though... i'm gona go to school get a degree and try and get a commision... then go back active duty.... were i'llstill ave 13 years left (minus my active reserve tme) and then that retirement at say 48 instead of 40 would be very nice......

Jake,
With your track record for getting hurt, my vote is for you to stay in the Army. You got that health insurance coverage:ph34r:

The service isn't so bad, I grew up with my dad in the Air Force. He lived through it and now has a nice retirement check coming in each month.

Go and try out for the Golden Knights again, and if that doesn't work out, then set your goals on some thing else.

I suggest you sit down with paper and pen in hand, write down all the pros and cons. I mean really list them. That will help you.

Good luck in what ever you do.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Option 4. Come and live in Australia ;)

Seriously though Jake, life is about finding that balance between being happy and having security. I don't have enough experience or knowledge of the situation/environment to really help you with your choice, but whatever road you take I hope it all works out for you.

You only live once, make sure it's worth every second.
:).

And you shed not a single tear for the things that you didn't need
'Cause you knew you were finally free - Death Cab For Cutie

I had the same conversation with my best friend about 15 years ago..

He had 10 in and was thinking hard about pulling the plug,
to sell USED CARS!
Someone had convinced him that his fortune was awaiting
in rusty Pintos!:S

We had a weekend of long talks and barley pops, he thought
the grass was greener on 'my' side of the line.

...It's not!

He stayed...Knights...Rangers...the whole 9.

He retired a few years ago with his 20...
a monthly check, and another career he was setting up
his last 3-4 in...38 years old...FAT CITY!

The DZ bum thing...a REAL tough road.
and say you do it for 5 or even 10 years,
what then?

Will you have better 'marketable' skills so to speak,
..... Mac & Cheese gets real old quick.[:/]

Unless it's a draw every morning between suckin' a
gun barrel and putting on the greens...I'd stick it out.

Make some kind of plan to work toward as far as getting to
be where you want to be...heck in 11 years you may be in
a position to start your own DZ!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~