whatever

Snowboarding ROCKS! who knows about skiing?

Tell you what. Let's go do a black (nah make it a double black) diamond run (and for shits and giggles let's do it in the trees). I'll be on the snowboard (I've never snowboarded in my life) and you'll be on skis. Then tell me which one is harder to master. To say that snowboarding is harder than skiing tells us how little you know about the two. I don't mean to put you down. But you just don't know what you're talking about. :P

Once again, I don't have anything against shredders. But to get to blacks and double blacks on two blanks takes more time and effort in the sport than it does for a shredder.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Tell you what. Let's go do a black (nah make it a double black) diamond run (and for shits and giggles let's do it in the trees). I'll be on the snowboard (I've never snowboarded in my life) and you'll be on skis. Then tell me which one is harder to master. To say that snowboarding is harder than skiing tells us how little you know about the two. I don't mean to put you down. But you just don't know what you're talking about. :P

Once again, I don't have anything against shredders. But to get to blacks and double blacks on two blanks takes more time and effort in the sport than it does for a shredder.

You make it sound like a bad thing. :P
Fly it like you stole it!

The goal of anyone playing on the mountains should be to have fun and not hurt themselves. And it shouldn't matter if they're skiing or snowboarding. I feel that skiing is more versatile than snowboarding and get to more (difficult) sections of the mountains (like moguls, chutes and bowls which require traversing), it is easier on a pair of skis. And this is why I continue to ski and not bother buying a board. But I also feel that one can start doing the more difficult runs faster in their snowboarding careers than they would if they were skiing. Being able to ski on blacks and (true) double blacks diamond runs takes years and years of skiing whereas it can be done faster by anyone with a shred of athletiscm on a snowboard.

I love being in the mountains. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less.

Steve, you are right about being on the board makes it more difficult to get to harder areas of the mountain, especially if there are some flat places. Most times if the area is flat, I'll just take the board off and hike to were ever I need to be. But, as far as doing harder runs, through the trees, I found that I can do them better on my board then on my skis. I think it's because I only have two edges to worry about rather then four with the skis;)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

But, as far as doing harder runs, through the trees, I found that I can do them better on my board then on my skis. I think it's because I only have two edges to worry about rather then four with the skis

No argument here. That's what I'm saying as well. I just worked too hard to get to where I am on skiing to start over. But I have tried running with friend (me on skis, them on boards) and they wanted to stay away from moguls, runs with chopped up crud (what happens when a powder field gets used) and the really steep stuff. All they wanted to do was stay on the groomies or go to some open bowls. Then again, they we only intermediate boarders. But at the same time, I've thrashed myself in the glades of Steamboat while some boarders with less experience had an easier time than I did. It's all good.

But I have tried running with friend (me on skis, them on boards) and they wanted to stay away from moguls, runs with chopped up crud (what happens when a powder field gets used) and the really steep stuff. All they wanted to do was stay on the groomies or go to some open bowls. Then again, they we only intermediate boarders.

Well there is your answer right there. I love the moguls, hell, give me any run. Oh wait, except the runs with rocks and buried tree stumps:ph34r:
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Shredder?

Where does this come from?

There was this really funny TV commercial from the 90s (I can't remember if it was a gum commercial or a car commercial) where snowboarders were referred to as Shredders and the skiers were Two Plankers. And it kind of makes sense. The Shredders kind of skid down the mountains while Two Plankers is self explainatory. :ph34r:

Ha-Ha! two-plankers! that's great... :D

I've never heard that before, shows how little time I've been in a country with a snowy winter.

I didn't mean for this thread to become a 'which is better because it's more difficult'-pissing contest, I wanted to see where people's preferences lay.

I snowboard and I have only ever snowboarded, as I'm from South Africa and we have no snow, I grew up playing with my bicycles and my skateboard and occasionaly a surfboard.

So, take 7+ years of active skateboarding and some surfing and it was a pretty obvious choice for me when I hit Europe.

Some of the people on my first snow/ski trip were first timers to skiing/boarding too.

So we all took the lessons offered and this is how it went:

day 1: we all fall around a lot, my skiing buddies learn to snowplow, everyone's on the bunny slopes
I fall down a LOT, my ass and knees are bruised and my skiing friends are faring way better at this point.

day 2: I finally get the idea with the edges and my board balance kicks in. I learn turns, and how to do the bunnyslope easy. My skiing friends do more snowplow and work on easy turns. we all ski and board together in the afternoon, I'm doing the blue runs now, they are still on the bunny slopes.

day 3: my skiing friends are still working some kinds of turns. I quickly get bumped up to the intermediate class by my instructor and get my first run from the top of the mountain, coming down a red slope (second most hardest in this system) and even doing some off-piste, through the powder, between the trees. I'm having a ball and spend the afternoon with my newly met snowboard classmates while my skiing buddies are still on the bunny slopes...

that is the way the rest of the week went, by the end of the week I did every run the resort had to offer and a whole bunch of off-piste runs too. my skiing friends never went harder than the blue (intermediate) runs, and that was only those with previous experience...

the point is, I have great respect for skiiers, as skiing takes much more time and effort to learn, there are many more techniques to learn than in snowboarding. It's easier to stay upright and in control initially on skiis, but once a boarder gets their board balance and the feel of their edges, they progress so much faster than skiiers, just by being on the board.

but for me, personally it doesn't look nearly as fun as snowboarding and I love being able to do 360s, rails, and halfpipes on my board afer only a few seasons of snowboarding, it would've taken me so long to get there skiing...

I will give skiing a try one day, but for now I'm all about the snowboard! B|

soon to be gone

as skiing takes much more time and effort to learn, there are many more techniques to learn than in snowboarding. It's easier to stay upright and in control initially on skiis, but once a boarder gets their board balance and the feel of their edges, they progress so much faster than skiiers, just by being on the board.

That was my experience. Learned to ski as a kid in Utah. Went to all the resorts near SLC over several years. Didn't get on snow for a few years until I was 19 and joined the Air Force. They sent me to Spokane, WA. I had never boarded before but knew it was for me just by watching. Bought one at a local place and spent the next 4 seasons on it. All over WA, Idaho, Montana, and even a couple places in Canada. Canada had the best powder and trees by far. I always liked boarding better!

I was from one of those families that didn't ski -- that's just because, well, if your parents don't ski, you don't get to ski.

The first time I ever went skiing was in 10th grade. I picked it up pretty easily. I skied again once in 11th grade, and then a couple of times in college. I'd say I was competent on skis.

In 1994, I saw a ski shop going out of business and walked in and bought a snowboard I knew nothing about; I had never been on a snowboard in my life and just knew I'd love it. And sure enough, I did. :)
I spent the next three years going on day trips as often as I could in the Northeast, averaging maybe 5-10 trips per year. Then I moved to Florida in 1997. I had to take up inline skating and surf kayaking to get my fix, until I re-took up flying and skydiving in 2002/03.

In the time between 1997 and now, I've been snowboarding exactly twice: in March 2003 and then again in May. I was amazed that I got right back onto a board after a six-year hiatus and felt completely natural, and even did some of the tricks and jumps I had done before! B|

I'll always love snowboarding... and now I see no need for skiing anymore. As far as I'm concerned, two-planking is obsolete.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

As far as I'm concerned, two-planking is obsolete.

I respect your view, but do not agree. Although I have minimal experience skydiving, I would compare skiing and snowboarding to freeflying and belly down RW. I enjoy both "two-planking" and "shredding", with very different sensations.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I skiied right up to the point that snowboards really became truly operator-friendly, when I was in high school right around 1980. I used to luuuurve bombing hills on my Fisher C4 comps (210's, more than a foot longer than I was tall at the time), but I can honestly say that I have not strapped on "planks" since I started snowboarding. Nothing against skiiers at all, but they are simply not my bag anymore. Still, I would love to try a pair of the now-vogue super-sidecut skis that everyone is using.

I lived in Colorado during the halcion age of snowboarding. The stuff that people were trying was pretty nuts. Sims made a thing that was basically a skateboard with individual skis attached to the trucks and velcro bindings. Likewise, the original Winterstick (which, amazingly, can still be bought and is marketed for powder use) and Burton boards had velcro bindings. The bindings didn't work for shit, but it was cool to be riding something on the snow which was remarkably like my skateboard. At the time there were three skateboard parks in Colorado Springs, so there was no shortage of grommets begging mom and dad to buy those those things for us. Wow, that was a lifetime ago (I am 41 now).

Chuck

I used to luuuurve bombing hills on my Fisher C4 comps (210's, more than a foot longer than I was tall at the time)

Ah yes the good ole Fischer C4 210s. I too at one point of my long skiing career was on a pair of C4 210s. They were good at the time, but far too heavy compared to what's available today. Then in the late 80s and 90s I downsized to some Ross'y 198s (of course back then longer skis could go faster, they were just harder to control in the bumps and trees).

I would love to try a pair of the now-vogue super-sidecut skis that everyone is using

The parabolic shaped skis which are available in todays world are leaps and bounds above anything performance-wise which was available in yester-year. My current skis are a pair of Dynastar 186s and they rock. I can ski comfortably black and double black diamond couloirs (here in the west where the real mountains are), in the trees, in the moguls, in crud and can still take them down the groomers of all steepness on snow or ice (assuming my edges are tunned) like a magic carpet ride. Of course the most important equipment component in two-planking is and has always been the boots, how they fit and what sort of flex characteristics they have. In fact one wonders how many people neglected this and suffered because of it. You don't need poles to ski (as a former pro ski patroller I learned to ski with snow fences, shovels, medical gear and other things in my hands), and you can be skiing on skis with poor bases and no outside edge. But if your foot doesn't feel like it's part of the ski, you're behind the 8-ball.

Wow, that was a lifetime ago (I am 41 now).

As am I. I just live the lifestyle of a 20-something year old. :ph34r:

As far as I'm concerned, two-planking is obsolete.

I respect your view, but do not agree. Although I have minimal experience skydiving, I would compare skiing and snowboarding to freeflying and belly down RW. I enjoy both "two-planking" and "shredding", with very different sensations.

I'm not so sure I would compare shredders and two-plankers to freeflying and RW (unless of course you're saying that skiing is like freeflying which I know is going to piss off a bunch of people because shredding is thought of as the youthful expression discipline). The reason why I say this is because while two-planks are harder to control (once one gets over the initial learning curve of the two), skiing is way more versatile than snowboarding. How many shredders can honestly say that they can take their shredding to all parts of the mountain. And I'm not talking about resorts with nothing but groomed runs and bump runs. I'm talking about the back-bowls, couloirs and glade runs of major resorts. With all honesty you hardly ever see snowboarders on good bump runs and if they are on them, all they are doing is side slipping the run and destroying the continuity of the bumps. And how many snowboards can be seen on true double black diamond couloirs (like one finds in Blackcombe, Jacksons Hole and/or the east bowl of A-Basin when it's open). Yes there are a handful of talented extreme snowboarders in the world, but they are few and far between. So to say that skiing is obsolete just goes to show how little one uses the entire mountain of a major resort. Plus how many patrollers use boards while they are working? They don't because it's impossible to get the job done on a board.

There will always be a place for two-plankers and shredders on the mountains and we just need to respect and admire the capabilities of both tools.

And how many snowboards can be seen on true double black diamond couloirs (like one finds in Blackcombe, Jacksons Hole and/or the east bowl of A-Basin when it's open). Yes there are a handful of talented extreme snowboarders in the world, but they are few and far between.

See the attached pic of skiers going up to the East headwall of A-Basin...no snowboarders there!

That said, I took my snowboard up on a fairly steep bump run two weeks ago. Determined not to side slip the bumps, I tried running all the same lines I would on my skis and found it difficult, but definatly feasable. I would say that it isn't any more difficult than learning to ski the bumps. I have a good friend that loves to ski the bumps on her snowboard. I think it is just that bump skiing is not a part of snowboarding culture..if it were, they would be in the bumps skiing them just as well as us skiers do.

I would say the only thing that shredders (I call them knuckle-draggers) can consistantly do better than skiers is terrain park and half pipe, however there are some twin tip skiers out there giving them a run for their money.

Plus how many patrollers use boards while they are working? They don't because it's impossible to get the job done on a board.

Actually I've been seeing more and more of them at the resorts, including hauling meat.

As for the not being able to snowboard in the backcountry, I'm finding it hard to believe since I work with 4 guys who go backcountry hiking and boarding every weekend. True you have to walk more, but the end result is the same, fresh untouched powder in extreme locations with no tourists.

A boarder can do anything a skier can do and a skier can do anything a boarder can do, it just depends on the amount of time and dedication each is willing to put into the sport.

Personally, I’ll never be able to ski due to knee problems but some of the attitudes that have come out in this thread have really turned me off to even getting to know some of you let alone ride with you. [:/]
Fly it like you stole it!

A boarder can do anything a skier can do and a skier can do anything a boarder can do, it just depends on the amount of time and dedication each is willing to put into the sport.

I agree. This is essentially what I was trying to get at. Both have their obvious benefits and drawbacks in certain situations, neither one is perfect and neither one is obsolete.

As for the not being able to snowboard in the backcountry, I'm finding it hard to believe since I work with 4 guys who go backcountry hiking and boarding every weekend. True you have to walk more, but the end result is the same, fresh untouched powder in extreme locations with no tourists.

There is a group of us that do the back country stuff just above Loveland. There isn't much hiking with it. We take turns as to who is doing the pick up were we come out. Then we jump into the back of the pick up, drive up to the top of the pass and do it again.

There is a group of us that do the back country stuff just above Loveland. There isn't much hiking with it. We take turns as to who is doing the pick up were we come out. Then we jump into the back of the pick up, drive up to the top of the pass and do it again.

That reminds me... a bunch of us are going up to Loveland Pass Christmas night for full moon skiing / boarding. Hundreds of people always show up and it's always a good time with kegs, bonfires, etc. I'm looking for a few more peopoe to switch out shuttles with if anyone's interested

Personally, I’ll never be able to ski due to knee problems ...{other sad stuff}

[anyway, you and Mary et al are lucky to be where you are with the skiing/boarding/climbing so accessible. My next trip to Longmont I'm calling Mar.]

Easier on the knees sounds good right now, how about the lower back? I can see a board being less prone to pressing outwards with the upper thighs taking away twisting pressure from back muscles.

Anyone have any experience in this? I'll like rent a board sometime this winter just to see.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants