kelel01

What computer should I buy?

I can't even decide between laptop and desktop. HELP! I have wireless internet at my apartment, and I just need something basic. I also don't have a desk, which is why I'm torn between a regular and a lappie. Thoughts? Are Dell computers good, or is there some other PC I should look at?

Thanks!

Kelly

Depends on your price range, what you will be doing with it, and how long you want it to last. Wireless can be done either way as long as you have an access point and a wireless card in your system.

After the string of bad luck that people have been having with Dell Support, I would stay away from them.

I really like my laptop because I can work with it where I want :)Don't know if dell is good. I have a compaq and it ain't that bad, considering the thing is 3 years old and that i'm an expert in letting computers crash ;)

And a laptop would save you a desk ;)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1057501&Sku=H24-PE387US

You would still need to spend about $150 on a wireless access point and a wireless expansion card.

OR there is something like this:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1095668&Sku=I70-2980

Or this that comes bundled with all of your wireless needs:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1135211&Sku=T24-S206B%20KIT

I just bought Derek a Gateway Laptop and so far it's been great, the price was better than I could find anywhere else for the components I wanted. I also have a gateway desktop that has been great so for me it was an easy choice.

I have an HP laptop from work and it's had to have it's harddrive replaced twice and I've only had it since June.

Sorry can't tell you about tech support, I'm able to do most my own tech support and what I don't know how to do I have tons of friends that can fill in the blanks.
Fly it like you stole it!

My parents got a dell desktop a few months ago. I'd stay FAR away after seeing it. Tech support is in india, and you will need it. Recently I decided I wanted to pull the hard drive out of their old computer, which had died, and put it into the dell. I was shocked to open it up and see there is no slot for a 2nd hard drive in it or even an unused IDE cable or place to plug in an IDE cable. I've had dells before, and for the most part they've been disappointing. But they seem to be making them especially cheap (in the bad way) now.

I didn't buy a complete system from them, but a few years ago I bought a motherboard, processor, memory, etc from http://www.mwave.com. I was very happy with them. You can even order any components you want and they'll build it for you and test it. They also sell standard systems.

Dave

You would still need to spend about $150 on a wireless access point and a wireless expansion card.

If her apartment already has wireless, she'd just need the card. I use this wireless adapter on my computer at home and it works like a champ for only $27. Also, it's USB so I can throw it on any PC very easily.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

No question in my mind. Lappie. With wireless. You may not think you need the portability now, but once you have it you'll never want to go back to being chained to a desk.

I loved my Dell laptop. Had it for over a year, never a problem. I would recommend keeping them away from water though.

If her apartment already has wireless, she'd just need the card. I use this wireless adapter on my computer at home and it works like a champ for only $27. Also, it's USB so I can throw it on any PC very easily.

Most new laptops comes with wireless integrated, I think it's the way to go, no antenna hanging out the side. Both of my laptops have it integrated and it makes it very convienent. ;)

Mac laptops start around a grand, and their emac desktops start at $799. Mac makes a wireless card for the desktops and laptops. With the emacs and Imacs, the screen is built into the system, so you don't need to buy a monitor, and the keyboard and mouse are included. Take it out of the box, plug into the wall, and turn on.

They're wonderful systems. I'm converting from PC to mac very soon.

Laptop advantages: portable, usually has wireless built in (you want 802.11G, not B)

Disadvantages: Not as easily upgradable, costs more (on average), video/sound usually not as good as desktop

Desktop advantages: cheaper, upgradeable, better video and sound options (on average)

disadvantages: not portable
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

If you can spend a grand, go with a Shuttle. That is what I bought and I am a programmer. I had a custom one I built, but when it finally died, I didn't feel like building another and found the Shuttle.

It will definitely be sufficient for whaevert you want to do and has alot of USB ports if you want to add on. IMO, they are better than Dells...but Dell is a good deal too.

You can get a Shuttle at Best Buy.

Oh and the best thing about Shuttle? Its just a small Cube, so if you want to take it somewhere easy, you could. You can hold it in one hand.

http://www.shuttle.com
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages, which some have been listed. One thing i have noticed about buying a new computer is to watch out for preloaded software, computers bought at Wal-Mart for instance. The reason being is that most of the time the computer runs Windows instead of Windows running the computer. I found this out the hard way and had to reinstall windows in order to change some memory settings.

I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid!

That is why I only order my PCs from the factory, both my gateways came with pretty much just the OS loaded. I had to load everything else, which does help keep the amount of usless programs that take up hard drive space down. B|

I started off with Gateway desktop for my home office almost 5 yrs. ago. My monitor has warantee for 6 yrs., Gateway PC for 3 yrs. along with Tech. support.

Just under the 3 yr. PC needed replacement components which Gateway delivered to my door promptly and each was upgraded.....new harddrive, then a month later new motherboard, then new cd/cd-wr drive and finally a new power supply.

Needless to say 5 yrs. later---I am very impressed with Gateway and its service...!!
:P:P

SMiles;)

I got a new dell laptop for Christmas. So far so good...but of course there hasn't been time for anything to go wrong yet. I'm hopeful. My Compaq Presario is in the shop right now for about the 5th time in 3 years.... I'd like to not relive that.

Peace~
linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail