kelel01

What computer should I buy?

Kelly,

A week today Steve Jobs will give his keynote address at MacWorld San Francisco. One of the new products being rumored to be announced is a new iMac that will cost under $600 without a monitor. Still just a rumor but could be fact in a week.

Any extra cost of owning a Mac is, to me, offset by the rock solid operating system, excellent service and reliability, freedom from viruses and spyware and especially the great software written by Apple included with every Mac...iMovie, iPhoto, iTunes, Garageband, iCal, Address Book, Mail, Safari, iChat (works with AOL).

Because the operating system, the Apple software and the hardware is all supported by Apple it is easier to use tech support if you need to....no calling the computer maker, then Microsoft, then the video card maker, etc, etc.

Also remember that all Macs have Firewire built in and are ready for video editing with no configuration/installation, etc. Digital cameras likewise work with no hassle.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions about Macs.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I've had a Dell Inspiron 8600 Notebook for about a year now.

Came with Firewire port, 1 PCMIA slot, onboard 802.11(a)(b), A/V output (but you have to use a silly adapter), 2 USB ports, and an IR Port (didn't know about that until I found out I had to turn it on in BIOS :$) I didn't listen to Billvon about processor speed and opted for the 1.6 so it could stay Centrino... Hindsight
It did come with a touchpad (which I never use unless I don't feel like plugging in the mouse) and one of those pencil eraser tips that I don't use at all. They are out of the way though and don't interfere with my normal usage.

Also, for myself I prefer notebook computers for ease of movement when, if needed.

This past summer I spilled a phat Jack and Coke on it and it stopped working ($799 US.) Then another unexplained issue about a month ago (out of warranty, $799.) Now my computer won't charge the battery (get an error message during boot saying soemthing like unidentified AC adapter) So I'm now limited to the 20th century and have to have the thing plugged in to use it. So they billed me ($190 US) for a new power adapter and battery, but I can return whicheve is not the problem.

Best of luck in your search. If you happen to find a Class A/B motorhome in good shape for a nice price I'd appreciate leads.

Also, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have a copy of Windows XP and are switching computers, can't you use the same copy on the new one so long as you don't use the old one anymore?

:)

--
Hook high, flare on time

Also, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have a copy of Windows XP and are switching computers, can't you use the same copy on the new one so long as you don't use the old one anymore?

You are correct as far as I know...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

You are correct as far as I know...

If by "can you" you mean legally, than the answer is maybe. If it was an OEM version of the operating system, one with a sticker on the machine itself with the license key and provided with the machine by the manufacturer, than no. You're not legally permitted to install it on another machine. If MS ever decides to raid your house and finds out that you did, you'll probably have to pay them for an operating system. Don't do it!!!! It's too risky!!! :P

For the record, I'm anti-software-piracy. But the above rule I described is bullshit.