loumeinhart

how does he do that???

OK seriously call me dumb but I swear David Blaine was levitating on TLC last night -no harness or wires in the footage and bystanders freaked out

Two points;

1) The trick he showed does work in real life without any wires or prior prep. The reactions are real.

2) The trick as shown on TV, is NOT the same trick as the one performed in front of the people he got the reactions from.

The trick in real life only gets about 4 inches of levitation and -requires- some specific conditions. He set that up and performed it for the reactions -- THEN -- they reshot some cutaways of his feet showing a different type of levitation much higher off the ground than is possible doing the first trick.

It was a huge editing cheat.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Naw, I don't believe that for a minute. I really believe the audience reactions were genuine. It's an impressive trick in RL, why they felt they needed to screw around with it and make his levitation higher than normally possible for TV is beyond me.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

OK seriously call me dumb but I swear David Blaine was levitating on TLC last night -no harness or wires in the footage and bystanders freaked out

anyone else see this?

yes - and right afterwards, my boyfriend (NOT a magician) showed me the same trick in our living room. :)

anyone else see this?

yes - and right afterwards, my boyfriend (NOT a magician) showed me the same trick in our living room. :)

HAHA sounds like me.. my GF was gasping as what that trick. I got off the couch and said watch this.. :D

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

If we go with the idea that levitation is impossible, then it's a trick. Here's what I think he's doing.

If you'll notice he always does this with his back to the onlookers. He raises and lowers his arms a lot in preparation and this is the misdirection that causes you to focus on his upper body. I think he slouches somewhat before extending his body and raising himself up and balancing on his toes. This means curling his toes down and pushing up. I don't think there was a clear shot of empty space beneath his feet during the segment (and why not, that would have been the money shot).

I tried it in front of my girlfriend and it does seem to work. However it would take a lot of practice, strong toes, and maybe even special shoes, to do it as well as he does.

On the other hand, this is TV so the whole thing, including the onlookers, could all be faked.

NickD :)BASE 194

yes - and right afterwards, my boyfriend (NOT a magician) showed me the same trick in our living room. just a trick, and for this one, it depends on the angle the person / camera sees the trick from.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HAHA sounds like me

So I wasnt the only one? lol

Same for some of the card trick... I mean, you know its a trick... but the way Baline presents them, thats the real amazing thing... its just so seamless....
Remster

but HOW? I mean, you could pick a card, almost say it.....then change your mind and it would STILL be the card - -that's not possible!

It's the same principle that a cop uses when they question you. They set you up so that you REALLY WANT to give the answers that the cop wants you to give. You're being suckered......you just don't realize it. :D

several of the card tricks are pulled off with the camera man playing as an accomplice (good example of that is the trick where a chosen card ends up in a girls pocket.

I need to watch the three card monty trick he did several times to see if I can catch the misdirection.

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Fox (I think) ran a special where they showed every trick Blaine does in the street and duplicated it. He is VERY good at what he does and when you see some of the explanations you just have to go "Doh!"

One of the more impressive is when he kneels on the ground withthe palm of his hand on the floor then turns it through 360 degrees. When you see how it's done it is SO simple, but looks so real....
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?