NightJumper

Cara and I on National TV

On January 11, 2005 Cara and I will be on Sony Pictures Television show "Life & Style" with Jules Asner, Lynne Koplitz, Kimora Lee Simmons and Cynthia Garrett. It is about Cara and her Guinness world record jump (30,100') at Rantoul this last year. It includes footage of the jump. For the station listing and time in your area go Here

In what category does the record with Cara actualy fall into ? Highest dog ? Highest animal ?

I had been wondering about something. Are you not concerned that too much publicity over this will bring out some nutters ?
...people who will want to make even higher altitudes with their cats, rats and racoons for the sake of a record ?

-
No 'mericans were harmed during the making of this post.

I'd love to see someone try to do a 35,000 foot jump with a pet racoon. Do you have a problem with it?:)

Well, where would the competition end ?
I have wondered already what motivates people to make these dives.
For science? (animal testing?) For record-making pride ? For fun ? Who's fun ?
Would everyone prepare as well as Nightjumper ?
Apart from oxygen, many animals (including dogs) have sensitive ears that require special ear plugs, big pressure differences are very bad for them.
It does mildy concern me that some non-essential achievements are only achievable with the consent of a person or creature that cant give it, or apply the necessary precautions.

-
No 'mericans were harmed during the making of this post.

In what category does the record with Cara actualy fall into ? Highest dog ? Highest animal ?

Highest Skydiving Dog

I had been wondering about something. Are you not concerned that too much publicity over this will bring out some nutters ?

Been there done that! When we were at ground zero WTC, PETA were protesting us (FEMA) using dogs to locate trapped survivors. When I was asked what my response to this was by a Wall Street Journal Reporter, I told him that I promised that if any of their family was ever trapped or missing I would not offend them by using my dog to find them!;)

As for this record, it was not for fun. Cara and I are part of a search and rescue special response team that jumps into remote locations to search for missing people. The jump was the result of developing an oxygen system to allow dogs to HALO jump. If your next question is why, the answer is that it military related. I train military units how to jump with dogs.

...people who will want to make even higher altitudes with their cats, rats and racoons for the sake of a record ?

First of all it is not just a matter of grabbing something with a pulse and jumping. It takes months of preparation. You have to apply for the record that you want to attempt and have it approved. The documentation alone was over 45 pages which included affidavits, veterinary examinations, certification of flight instruments calibration etc. plus video, stills and news reports. And then there is the cost of the plane and HALO equipment, safety jumpmasters, video crew etc. Now you would have to find a commercial aircraft that is certified to go above 30,000’ with the door open. Then since it was during the WFFC you have the logistics of when you can jump since they have to shut down the airspace. Sounds like an expensive rat jump to me.:P

Apart from oxygen, many animals (including dogs) have sensitive ears that require special ear plugs, big pressure differences are very bad for them.

Actually big pressure differences for anyone is bad. The ear structure in dogs specifically the Tympanic Membrane is the same as humans and dogs do very well equalizing the pressure by panting, swallowing and eating. As for ear plugs, they use the same ones we do.

You didn't let Cara hog the camera did you? :D

Why not, she is sooo GORGEOUS! B|

Thank you for the information, Mike. I'm looking forward to watching that! Congrats to both you and Cara. :)
***AND SHE IS HUMBLE, she will do whatever you ask in exchange for a simple scratch behind the ears. I need to learn this from her****
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]