mnealtx

DZ.com Weight Loss Challenge: Friday check-in

You rock! Thanks so much for doing that! :)

You're welcome - it seemed like a good way to track progress. And, since I'm usually bored out of my skull at work I threw a spreadsheet together. I like messing around with Excel, and I've got a Maytag repairman type of job, so.... :)
I've made a mini - worksheet where everyone can track their goals, whatever they may be - pounds, bodyfat, inches. It has 24 weeks on it, and will change according to what is entered, week by week. I've attached it, below.

Put today's measurement in the "starting" block, then put your goal in (duh!) the "goal" block. Weekly changes are negative numbers for losses, positive for gains. Putting numbers anywhere else will break the spreadsheet!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

general info

important stuff

The bodyfat gender difference lies in the structure of the female body and the sex hormones.

In females, part of the essential fat is sex-specific fat. Depending on breast size, about 5 percent of a female's bodyfat is located in the breast tissue. The difference in bodyfat is also related to hormonal changes during the menstrual cycle and childbearing functions. Women should generally not go below eight percent bodyfat; in men, the lower limit is four percent. An excessively low bodyfat in females may lead to amenorrhea, which is a disruption in the normal menstrual cycle.

Young gymnasts stop their regular cycle.
Men can begin to have nosebleeds and heart problems.

Most weight loss includes a combination of fat and water. People who lose weight very quickly from a low-calorie diet are losing mostly water weight as well as body-sculpting muscle tissue. In fact, an average dieter who sheds 30 pounds without weight training will take off about 10 pounds of 'lean' (i.e. muscle as well as water) along with the fat loss. Smaller amounts of weight loss over a longer time is more likely to:

Consist mostly of fat
Stay off in the long run
Be easier on your mind and body
Allow your skin to adapt to the smaller size (less chance of saggy skin)
The American Heart Association recommends no more than 1-2 pounds per week of weight loss.

I am often asked the question "How do I lower my bodyfat while simultaneously adding some muscle to firm up?" and I tell them two facts:
For people trying to lose large amounts of bodyfat (10 pounds +):
If you lose more than 2 pounds a week, you will lose precious muscle tissue.
For people trying to add large amounts of muscle mass (10 pounds +):
If you gain more than 2 pounds a week, you will gain unwanted fat.
If you keep these two facts in mind, then your best bet is to do cardio 4-5 days per week and weight train 2-4 days per week.
Also, you must be sure to eat right.

Check out the chart at the bottom of the page.

I downloaded and saved it.
Thanks..
Also, I measured my belly. 44" around.
So, my goal is to lose diameter!haha..

You're welcome!

Just put 44 in the "starting" and whatever you want the final circumference to be in the goal...then measure yourself each week...

I'll be changing my quick-n-dirty spreadsheet to individual pages like that to keep track of everyone (if they keep reporting their stuff, anyway!)
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Off to a good start:

185/180/160/5

I believe that's how Duece suggested posting it: start/current/goal/lost

Edited to ask if that should be lost since last check in only or total?

You can either put current weight and I'll figure it, or the weight change since the last checkin - your choice

Current changes:
mnealtx +8
mouth -3
Breezejunky -5
idoru99 -3

Great job, you guys! Looks like I need to get more strict on my diet....

245/230/190 1st check in from 1st weight post
now 234
+4

Me: 182/180/160/2:)
As for the "Fat Bastard" title...sorry about that folks. I started that all in fun to 'lighten' things up...pun intended. I think it is important to keep humor and laughter. It helps make something that is so difficult a little easier. But if some don't like the phrase, that's OK. The most important thing is that we reach our goals.

Chris

whats the deal with body fat
isn't it
0-12% too little
12-20% athletic
20%-? something=good
and then over some other number=obese?

we have this free body fat reading at our gym every monday
im too scared to try it:$

Body fat % and composition differ for men and women. Here's a link that will help you out http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/body_comp/a/aa090200a.htm. The best advice I can give you is get a body fat composition analysis either with the water tank or the Bod Pod link here http://www.bodpod.com/. Call them up and see if theres one near where you live. Also visit a nutrionist since your diet reflect close to 70% of what your body looks like. You'd be amazed how simple things like cutting out simple carb and sugars will do. Also incorporate an exercise regime you enjoy. After about 6-8 weeks go get another body analysis done. Give your body time to adjust too, dont expect overnight results.

As for the "Fat Bastard" title...sorry about that folks. I started that all in fun to 'lighten' things up...pun intended. I think it is important to keep humor and laughter. It helps make something that is so difficult a little easier. But if some don't like the phrase, that's OK. The most important thing is that we reach our goals.

well, I liked the Fat Bastard title. Some people are being remarkably over-sensitive for skydivers.
I think most people on here thought it was funny & added humor to something that is usually thought of as drudgery (weight loss programs).
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

well, I liked the Fat Bastard title. Some people are being remarkably over-sensitive for skydivers.
I think most people on here thought it was funny & added humor to something that is usually thought of as drudgery (weight loss programs).

I don't care who you are - that shit right there is funny!

Couldn't possibly know what you mean - I for one have NEVER seen any drama come from a skydiver.[Rolling Eyes]
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Many a truth is hidden in jest.

Regardless of how fat a person is, it is usually hurtful to be called out as fat in our culture. It's also easy to tell someone else to lighten up when we refer to them in a deprecating way.

I made this commitment in Eloy because I got a lot of comments from people I didn't really know, and some I know well, about how I had gotten pudgy. I played along and kept my sense of humor, but I'll lose the weight just to not have to hear it. It's going to take a few months, and I, for one, don't want an epithet to be my motivation.

But hey, it's not a democracy!

Regardless of how fat a person is, it is usually hurtful to be called out as fat in our culture. It's also easy to tell someone else to lighten up when we refer to them in a deprecating way.

I made this commitment in Eloy because I got a lot of comments from people I didn't really know, and some I know well, about how I had gotten pudgy. I played along and kept my sense of humor, but I'll lose the weight just to not have to hear it. It's going to take a few months, and I, for one, don't want an epithet to be my motivation.

But hey, it's not a democracy!

Well said.
Even the the most calous of skins don't keep all the insult away from the core.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Hey, this is a cool idea. I started out hard in training 10th November, but I've had a cold recently that I can't shift so I've been laying off a bit. Anyway, here's my stats:

Starting weight: 195
Current weight: 178
Target weight: 165
Difference since last weigh-in (yesterday): 0

Target isn't probably realistic, as I'm in training for Army entry and I need to gain muscle mass, therefore I won't lose weight every time I weigh in.

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

You know, it's funny, as I've said on here, I've lost 125 lbs. I've gone from being (the medical term) morbidly obese, to just overweight. I've gone from being totally unhealthy to fit, strong, and energetic.

Yet, in a weird way, I am *more* sensitive to any references to being fat now than I used to be, particularly since they'll come from people who didn't know me "then." People who used to know me call me "skinny minnie" and stuff like that (which I know isn't true, but on a relative basis, it's very true). If someone says something about my weight I just want to say "But, but, but you shoulda seen me before!"

That said, I probably could have checked into a thread called "Fat Bastards" and laughed about it (though I'd prefer Fat Bitch, I think :)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Regardless of how fat a person is, it is usually hurtful to be called out as fat in our culture.

I refer to myself as "fall-rate enhanced (FRE)".
:)

During 6 way scrambles one of the female skydivers on the team I was videoing went low cause she had put on way too much lead. Somebody asked me how the dive went and I replied with something like "one of the divers took a leadership position in trying to motivate the others to increase their fall rate"

After a couple of beats they laughed like hell.

:ph34r:

Since I coined the phrase for this thread, I can assure you it was meant to be harmless and in humor. I apologize for offending anyone.

The point I am coming from is my need to laugh at myself. When I was in AFF, I had to learn to laugh at myself. When I fell down a flight of stairs and landed on my head causing a verrrry long recovery, I had to learn to laugh at myself. All through life we need to laugh at ourselves.

As I said, I apologize to those I have offended.

Chris

Friday evening 34 3/4 " around waist.:|

this is probably going to be a slow process for me...but I think that's the way to do it.

I think this Fat Bastard web forum Check-in thing is a great idea...its a powerful motivator & fun too... we may really be onto something here.B|B|
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------