skydiverek

The new ZPX fabric

One of the features they didn't list is the coolest (at least in the "gee whiz" sense) part about it: it can "heal" if punctured.

My friend Justin took a small swath of it, pushed a pen through it, and then rubbed the fabric together. The result? The hole was gone. It has to to with the design/weave of the fabric. It's pretty cool stuff. If I hadn't just bought a canopy, I'd be looking into getting a Pilot made out of it.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

An almost similar ZP fabric was on display at the 2007 Reno PIA symposium. The manufacturer was GELVENOR TEXTILES from South Africa. The fabric was "healing" when punctured with a ball pen but the pattern was a little rectangle instead of now a hexagon. I would bet that the new fabric described in this thread is from the same manufacturer. We still haven't seen everything with parachute fabric, webbing and components... thanks for the topic.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

An almost similar ZP fabric was on display at the 2007 Reno PIA symposium. The manufacturer was GELVENOR TEXTILES from South Africa. The fabric was "healing" when punctured with a ball pen but the pattern was a little rectangle instead of now a hexagon. I would bet that the new fabric described in this thread is from the same manufacturer. We still haven't seen everything with parachute fabric, webbing and components... thanks for the topic.

Yes it is Gelvenor

Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Luc-France/BASIK-AIR-CONCEPT/172133350468

I wonder to what extent the fabric will heal itself. My reason being is that my RDS has been rubbing holes into my tail, and the ZPX material may be a nice thing to have if it can fix holes half an inch or under. It is a real pain to have to constantly be worrying about the line burns and holes from the RDS lanyard, but I guess thats part of having one. If the self healing properties of the ZPX material are that good, it could be a worthwhile investment. Do you have any information on this, Les?

I didn't ask Brian when he was showing us the "pen through the canopy" trick, but I imagine that if you cut or melt the fibers, they won't close back up. Puncturing the canopy just pushes stuff off to the side kind of like when you're fingertrapping.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

Sounds like a patch of cotton "felt" on that part of the tail would be a better solution. My triatholon has something similar at the top for the retract. CRW pilot chute system.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

This new fabric obviously will not heal when there are broken fibers. If there is a hole with destroyed or worn out fibers forget the healing. OTOH it's interesting to see that people are designing new fabrics. We still have to see the final test on this,ie. the field test.
Jérôme thanks for confirming the manufacturer.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.