Unstable

Required First Aid Training as Part of the Coach/Instructor Course?

This idea came to me a few weeks ago.

We had a First jump student a while ago who broke her ankle on landing. Suprising video to watch, because it REALLY didn't look that bad at all...watching the video I'm suprised she even fell over, nevertheless break her ankle!!

Either way, a few issues were raised a few weeks afterwards. A few EMS operators we have at our dropzone offered some pointers during our monthly staff meeting about how to handle situations like this.. Which begs the question..

Why doesn't USPA integrate basic First aid into their coach and instructor courses?

Seems simple enough, especially when you consider the fact that when there is an incident, it is almost always the DZ staff to be first on scene and act as first responders..

Has this idea ever surfaced before?
=========Shaun ==========

I don't think it should be a requirement for a USPA rating but its definitely a good idea to have a few people running around with some first aid knowledge. A good thing for not only instructors, but I'd also include manifest, packers and pilots to that list.

We have a two doctors that jump at my dz, along with a handful of first responders. We updated our emergency plan this year and upon reading it, I discovered that our club will pay for first aid training if any jumper decides to persue it.

A first aid course would be a good safety day activity, and a good way to hit "the masses".

This would open the USPA to all kinds of legal issues and litigation. Plus a defacto DZ EMS service can't operate without being under the medical direction of a local supervising medical doctor. And the scope of practice allowed EMS workers varies by state, and sometimes even by counties within states. This would make USPA coming out with some kind of national program impossible.

However, laymen can act under the Good Samaritan Law. Basically that law says you can't be sued for providing emergency care in good faith. However, if you are an off duty EMT or Paramedic there's a gray area there you have to be very careful about.

On the other hand the public tends to think taking some quickie first responder course automatically turns you in Randy Rescue. Emergency medical care is a very complicated subject and is best left to the pros. The best course of action when someone biffs is to call 911 and provide shade and verbal assurance . . .

NickD :)

Why doesn't USPA integrate basic First aid into their coach and instructor courses?

[My opinion:] Because skydiving instruction has been made so complicated now days, and the courses have been made so structured, that there is little time for learning some of the more practical and helpful aspects of being an instructor. (It's the apprenticeship versus the formalized instruction issue.)

I recall the days when we had Jumpmaster/Instructor Certification courses (which were only a weekend). The first day was usually lectures by experienced instructors on the various topics of instruction, plus, at the really good courses, we would talk our doctor or nurse experienced jumper friends into lecturing on first aid, (and get this!), talk our attorney experienced jumper friend into lecturing on liability and other legal matters.)

On the other hand the public tends to think taking some quickie first responder course automatically turns you in Randy Rescue. Emergency medical care is a very complicated subject and is best left to the pros. The best course of action when someone biffs is to call 911 and provide shade and verbal assurance . . .

The wilderness first aid courses would be the suitable ones to take if one wants some knowledge - a bit more focused on the types of first aid events we're likely to see. The half day course...not nearly so good.

Interesting idea.

As others have pointed out there are some legal reasons why this wouldn't be an ideal solution, plus the standard basic first aid course is very long and detailed, and would be too much of a burden for most instructional rating candidates.

As better solution is for the DZ to have a first aid policy, and make it well known to all the jumpers. Those who are trained in first aid should get together so they can develop and share a common approach. If DZ management wants to have well trained responders on site they can offer to pay for jumpers to attend a local first aid certification course.

I earned my EMT certification when I was the S&TA at The Ranch specifically so I would be able to oversee the response by our jumpers and local rescue squad. It was helpful, but once the rescue squad arrived it became their ballgame. We did develop a response plan that you can read at: http://theblueskyranch.com/STA.php. It's called "Article 10 In An Emergency."
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

This would open the USPA to all kinds of legal issues and litigation. Plus a defacto DZ EMS service can't operate without being under the medical direction of a local supervising medical doctor. And the scope of practice allowed EMS workers varies by state, and sometimes even by counties within states. This would make USPA coming out with some kind of national program impossible.

I think that some basic first aid woud be helpful. I don't think that anyone needs to be using AED's or starting IV's, but basic "stop the bleeding" and what to do when someone breaks a bone (which I guess are the two most common injuries on the DZ) would be helpful.
Learn from others' mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all yourself.
POPS 10672

Has this idea ever surfaced before?

This idea has been brought up before.

IIRC, the major reason USPA won't add in first aid or EMT type training (today) to the 'official' training syllabus is for liability reasons and there any many other resources that provide this type of training.

USPA is not in the business of training people in medical techniques. That is well beyond the scope of their duties.

OTH, there was a time in the 'old days' that first aid was covered in the JCC and ICC. There were a few articles is Parachutist about this too. IIRC, it was even part of the 'old' IE rating.

The way the US has 'progressed' to be such a litigious society has made it impractical for an organization, such as USPA, that teaches people how to jump, to also include teaching people about 'other things' that can be provided by other agencies.

IOW, go to your local Red Cross or FD to get someone to teach you the basic first aid stuff.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

A DZ should offer a Basic First Responder Course for every jumper and instructor once per year. Most DZ's have doctors, nurses, EMT's and paramedics in their jumping ranks. They can assist the local First Aid instructor gear the course towards skydiving injuries.

I have spoken with Bryan Burke at SDA about putting together a skydive injury related course above and beyond a Fisrt Aid class, sort of like the Wilderness Training. There are so many issues legally to deal with, it may never get done.

The best thing a DZ can do is co-ordinate an emergency plan with the local EMS providers, incorporate their medically trained jumpers in the planning process and have some basic first aid supplies on hand.

About ten years ago I trained the Eloy FD in all aspects of gear, safe removal/packaging and types of injuries skydive related. It enlightened them and improved DZ/FD relations, which in turn provided much better response and care.

And I think everyone should take a basic first responder course, just for everday life encounters.

Disclaimer;

I was a pro ski patroller and EMT for 17 years. In my younger days I was a big advocate for mandatory first aid training for all USPA rated instructors. As was mentioned above it used to be part of the ICC and JCC.

Now;

I think this is a bad idea. With the cell phones available the first thing you should do is call 911 and let the pros deal with it. Sure, everyone should have these skills but it should never be a requirement for any DZ staff.

I have made many rescues and climbed a lot of trees but I would never expect any DZ to have a guy with my skills on hand 24/7

More later,
Onward and Upward!

The way the US has 'progressed' to be such a litigious society has made it impractical for an organization, such as USPA, that teaches people how to jump, to also include teaching people about 'other things' that can be provided by other agencies.

Could the USPA require prospective individuals whom want to be granted a Coach or Instructor rating to first go outside of the USPA and receive First Aid or CPR training from some other entity, like the Red Cross, and hold or maintain some sort of certification as to such as a pre-condition to being granted a Coach or Instructor rating by the USPA and, thus, the USPA be able to maintain some level of insulation form potential litigation?

In other words, could the USPA make it a requirement for all their Coaches / Instructors to be First Aid or CPR trained / rated, but we (the USPA) aren't the ones providing the training or granting the certification as to such.

Notice I said, "Could the USPA...", above.

Now a slightly different slant, do y'all think that the USPA "should"?

I'm not so sure it would go down too well if it was "required" and mandatory. It should be offered, though and it is a great idea for staff to be educated in EFR/First Response.

In each situation requiring medical need, there has always been someone more "qualified" than I. But there's always a chance that there will not be.

That being said, as a scuba instructor I was "required" to take a EFR/First Responder Course to be certified. As an AFFI it's an invaluable skill.

The last time I audited a CSPA Coach Course, one of the candidates was an Air Force Search and Rescue Technician.
His practice lecture was on basic first aid. His lecture concluded with encouragement that other candidates to attend first aid courses offered by Red Cross or Saint John's Ambulance.