ryan_d_sucks

How good were you?

It's not what you're jumping out of. Its the "quality" of instruction (and your ability to respond to corrections) available. But to think that you HAVE to go to a turbine dz to find quality instruction/coaching is just absurd and rather offensive.

My primary message was: "In this particular instance, to this particular individual, we have a situation where someone with 84 jumps is learning 80's shit. My point was to go to a large turbine DZ for the exposure to a sundry of disciplines, methods, advanced flying techniques, exits, etc. and that turbine DZ will exponentially increase the learning curve. Plus, it prepares them to be safer at a boogie in the future."

And, I'll back off the "any" and say, "a greater percentage." Fixed it.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I am answering the question here. Me at about the same amount of jumps.... Oh boy. Unlinked exit, 2000ft to get to two way. between 2-5 turns(when lucky), and break off. When I watch footage of that, I laugh. Don't worry, and don't compare. It is what You make of it, and that should include a LOT OF FUN!!!!!
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

aMy point was to go to a large turbine DZ for the exposure to a sundry of disciplines, methods, advanced flying techniques, exits, etc. and that turbine DZ will exponentially increase the learning curve.

And my point is that he doesn't necessarily need to go to a turbine dz to do that. He just needs to go to a dz that does that, regardless of what aircraft they are jumping.

How good am I? I am better than 10 jumps ago. I am not as good as I will be 10 jumps from now. I know some of what I need to work on and can't spell most of what I don't. I am concerned about improving myself. I learn, or try to learn, something every jump. I try to apply something I learned the last time to the present jump.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

Maybe a clearer answer to the OP's question is:

First off, compare you to yourself.
Second, get to a DZ where they are doing alot of relative work, get some tunnel time, get some coaching.
Jumping at a turbine DZ where you can get another 3000 or 4000 ft of freefall per jump won't hurt either.
Nobody here is dissing any Cessna DZ. I have had some great jumps at two different single engine Cessna DZ's. It's just different from what you can get in the overall at a little bigger dropzone with bigger faster airplanes.

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

***Unless the 182 DZ is taking you to 13000 you get a lot more practice time out of a turbine. At 9500-4500 at a 182 DZ that is about 38ish seconds to practice, at 13000-4500 at a turbine DZ that is 55ish seconds of practice time. That is a gain of 17 seconds or almost 40% more practice time.***

Who's ending their skydives at 4500, must be a turbine DZ.

Who's ending their skydives at 4500, must be a turbine DZ.

A&B license holders who aren't jumping by themselves. The rest of us who are being sensible about separation and opening altitudes with modern canopies.

USPA recommends break-off 1500 feet above the highest opening altitude for groups of 5 or less.

The BSRs require A and B license holders to open no lower than 3000 feet, and even as a D license holder you want to open that high when you're jumping an agressive canopy so you can get back to the DZ with enough altitude to fly a high performance approach or wait for people who want to race to land first and get out of your way. I also like to be able to cutaway, flip right side up, cuss, and then deploy my reserve following a violent spinning malfunction.

Add 1500 feet for a 4 way to 3000 feet for minium opening altitude and you have 4500 feet.

I hear you!

On the one hand, maybe you're expecting too much from yourself.

On another, maybe you think that YOU should be better simply because HE is better.

On yet another, maybe you're trying to outfly your ass right now trying so very hard to improve.

I can remember 80 jumps. I was not having fun back then because I was putting so much pressure on myself. Every jump was trying to force the issue and I was not "getting it". Hell, I went right close to 50 jumps going low on every one until the day I finally said to myself..."Screw this, I'm done. No more "working jumps" only fun jumps. And I'll be damned, things started to click...what made it work? For me it was simply relaxing and taking it slower instead of trying to force it.

The other thing was the acceptance that I'm ME...not the Joe Blow 4-way champ...I'll do what I can do and quit trying to force myself to be that Joe Blow 4-way champ.

It's great that you want to improve your skills. More jumps = more skill building time.

The tunnel idea is a great one and add me to the list of those suggesting it.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Ryan-
You can get better instruction at your DZ than "hugging the ball" or wearing baggy suits! Get with a licensed coach or instructor and do some two way jumping. It's free!

Dave Crocco
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Maybe the people you jump with need to put on some weight?

I put on 8 punds of lead for almost every jump I do, and have no problems jumping with the bigger guys on the DZ. I actually like it when it goes faster, and I feel that I get more power in my inputs, and my big canopy is also more fun to fly with the extra weight. Both the bigger guys and the small ones should dress for success, and there aren't many with my fall rate, so I have to adapt.

BTW I SUCKED at 80 jumps, in freefall, under canopy and in judging wind conditions. But then I broke my leg skydiving and learned the hard way about wind conditions, and got some tunnel time, so I stopped drifting around the whole sky all the time. It gets better!

:)
Keep having fun!

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

my big canopy is also more fun to fly with the extra weight.

You're not supposed to land it with the extra weight. You fly it over the parking lot, drop the weight, then enter the pattern.

I thought about that, my weight belt makes me wingload at 1:1, and that is still very conservative. I land it with no problem.

I knew I was going to jump RW, and I knew I would have to wear weights, that's one of the reasons why I got a big canopy.

Maybe lightweight people who want to get into RW should consider getting a canopy that is big enough for them to wear a weight belt safely?
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

my big canopy is also more fun to fly with the extra weight.

You're not supposed to land it with the extra weight. You fly it over the parking lot, drop the weight, then enter the pattern.

:D:D:D
We make the youngters go out and catch them so as to prevent asphalt and impact damage. The weights don't work well if they are flattened on one side and it gives the youngsters a valuable lesson-learned.
:D:D:D

(for the literal-minded...j/k)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

We make the youngters go out and catch them so as to prevent asphalt and impact damage.

Ah, but if done properly, the asphalt remains unscathed. And sheet metal tends to crumple, preventing too much damage to the weights.

pssst..Pinkfairy: I was being facetious. There's an old joke:
Q: What do you do if you have a total mal on your reserve?
A: Track for the rigger's car.

Get with a licensed coach or instructor and do some two way jumping. It's free!

Free?
At a small DZ? Sure. At a larger DZ? Not any more, unless you're female.

That's not true at my (large) home DZ.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Get with a licensed coach or instructor and do some two way jumping. It's free!

Free?
At a small DZ? Sure. At a larger DZ? Not any more, unless you're female.

That's not true at my (large) home DZ.

I'm glad to hear that, seriously.
Of course, I do have good legs.

I learned similarly. could'nt get a on a 4 way. Sucked at RW. Was good at pulling my main and landing the parachute. At 60 jumps I was fortunate enough to go to a RW seminar that included 3-7 jumps for 3 days with Guy Manos and his buddies. Had a big turbine , a caravan going to 13,000ft.!!! Did 7 on one day, that was a helluva lot of jumping in a day for me back then. My rw skills boomed. Two things were different than the cessna dz. 1. Extra altitude, extra people. 2. paid some people to coach me to fly. Seemed to work. Next thing I new I was the new 'natural' flyer and was doing 4 way for a while, then hookturns, freestyle, then skysurf, crw, 8 way out of 2 cessnas was a great time, chasing clouds, no-lift dives, then coaching others, then video, competition, BASE jumping, and packed mains from year 1- present. Packed reserves the past 11 years. Banned in 4 states for doing hookturns, grounded in 5. I suggest not doing hookturns, hookturns are the deadliest game in skydiving.