half-a-greek

How much would you pay for???

How much would you pay for this? no jump numbers on anything... old equipment... a little sketchy?

seller description-

The container is a Javelin J-4, Black, Light Gray, Blue and Purple. It is equipped with an RSL. I am 6'0" tall and wiegh 200 lbs, the rig fits me a litttle too snug, so I'm thinking the MLW is between 15.5 and 17. Date of manufacture is 01/92. The Container is NOT BOC, has NO AAD, nor is it equipped to facilitate an AAD.

The main canopy is a Performance Designs Sabre 9 cell DOM 12/95, no patches, no rips, no tears. This canopy looks to have plenty of life left, actually looks great for it's age. The lines are still white and look fine.

The reserve is a Glidepath (now Flight Concepts) Firelite 176r. Number of rides and repack history unknown. Date of Manufacture 01/92. Last repack 09-06-2007.

The pilot chute is black, in good condition, as is the slider, which is purple and collapsible.

I have never jumped the rig, but truly believe I would if I was still jumping. I am selling my gear because I have not jumped in over a year, and do not plan on jumping again, sorry to say.

I bought the rig as part of a package 2 1/2 years ago as part of a huge package.

If you got that for 500 or 600 bucks and had a rigger give it the thumbs up there is no reason you cant jump it. i have seen alot of people jumping worse rigs than that at dzs. Crikey our head instructor jumps a main with over 2000 jumps and reakons that it will make it to 3000. I am not one to waste money on hiring rigs that are a rip off, so i say get something like this for a budget price, have your rigger check it out and go jumping.

Don't do it. There are plenty of good used containers out there look for vector 3, mirage, infinity. I have a few friends that have back problems from jumping sabres. DO NOT DO IT. Try to stick to spectre, pilot, safire 2. Stick with PD reserves. Take your time buying gear don't rush it cause you will end up with something you don't really want.
don't try your bullshit with me!!!

What's it worth or what can you get?
What it's worth, about $1000
What will you get, $500-$700.
Most newbies are not going to be comfortable with a leg-strap throw-out or the no-AAD. It's the times.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

Don't do it. There are plenty of good used containers out there look for vector 3, mirage, infinity.

Where can I buy one for $300?

I have a few friends that have back problems from jumping sabres. DO NOT DO IT. Try to stick to spectre, pilot, safire 2.

Stick with PD reserves..

And if I want all three, where can I get a few hundred dollars knocked off for the package (the running total is $900 here, which is getting a little pricey for a complete rig; maybe the $700-$800 I'd have spent including a BOC conversion would be better?)

Take your time buying gear don't rush it cause you will end up with something you don't really want

I could have thrown my first rig in the dumpster after 70 jumps and come out ahead financially. With what I resold it for I broke even after a few weeks. And that was a _nice_ rig worth twice what we're talking about. As long as you buy airworthy gear for a fair price it doesn't matter.

On a small student-budget, buying such a rig is likely to be a much better deal than renting.

I agree it is better than renting. I am just not a fan of javelins or sabres in the least bit. I think that the price is very low, but you get what you pay for. I would hold off and save and look for something better.

I own a sabre 170 and I have put about 150 jumps on it in the last 8 months. When can I expect the back problems to start? My openings are quite nice (tho like all skydivers, I do have a brisk one from time to time) Just wondering how many jumps you have on a sabre 1? If you take the time to do a proper pack job and good body position at pull time, you may find that most of what your saying is hype.

I am not saying no one has gotten spanked by a sabre 1, but to say they all open hard is just plain wrong. And I am sure other canopies can open hard as well

and I got an even better price, FREE! (thanks again Montana!), I put a new lineset on before jumping it and couldn't be happier!

EDIT: I had not read your second post, if I only got what I paid for, then I got nothing!! just some lines to slow me. My canopy is a dream to pack, opens nice, on heading, and I can land it perfectly even in the dark (literaly) Minds are like parachutes, the only work when opened (and you need to pull brother)
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

I've jumped lots of used gear in my career and still do. And I jumped some of the worst crap and made a lot of bad decisions in my first three years jumping. Stuff I now know I never should have jumped. And yes a rigger put it in the air.

The difference now is I'm making an informed decision, am willing to go backwards in performance when I choose to, have jumped and am trained on older equipment and know what to be concerned about and keep a close eye on when using gear near the end of it's life.

Rigs at this level may be packed by one rigger and rejected by another. Get to $1500 and you getting near something that you may not have to worry so much about.

I'm all for cheap gear and jumping instead of having something pretty. I may never buy a new rig again. But there is a level that just isn't worth the risk, even if one rigger thinks it's airworthy.

I don't think a newbie should buy a new rig. But I've had lots of newbies come to me with their "great deal" that I promptly told them couldn't go in the air.

And right now I have two never jumped H/C in my basement. One I bought for $550 and one is for sale by the owner for $750, probably less. The same rig I jump as my primary. These are NEW rigs, not used.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

So I guess my friends developed back problems for no reason. LOOK all I am saying is that sabre 1's are known to spank people, and yes I have witnessed it. Twice I have seen openings so hard that lines broke and a friends had to cut away. Are they all like that? No. Has it came to be known for being slammer canopy for no reason? No. THe point I am trying to make is that they do open fast and for some if not most open like crap. I have met people exactly like you who say oh what are you talking about, with these hard openings. Then give it some time and they are walking around complaining how much they just got spanked. So have fun on your free canopy, but beware. One who defended the sabre 1 almost got borderline mad with me telling him how those canopies open, and he was one of them that had broken lines and had to cut away. Once again have fun.

I own a sabre 170 and I have put about 150 jumps on it in the last 8 months. When can I expect the back problems to start?

Probably tomorrow.

I jumped a Sabre1 last weekend and the openings were brutal, especially on the 170.

To the OP, what I found out was the key to packing the original Sabre is rolling the nose. Count your first four cells and roll (like you would the tail) towards the center. Leave the center cell alone and count and roll the last four cells also towards the center.

Once you have checked and separated the lines, flaked the canopy and quartered your slider, etc, roll the tail and then neatly pack the canopy without affecting the rolled nose or tail. This should help improve the openings. That being said by the time I really figured out the trick my thighs were so bruised I didnt want to jump anymore.

Cheers,

John

i definitely agree with your rolling the nose advice. i own a sabre 1 150. and yes, ive been slammed, but with a properly rolled nose and tail they can open pretty good. to the OP, i found a dirt cheap complete too ($400 for everything + extras) had it checked out, and i am happily still jumping more often because i dont have to pay for rentals anymore.
I'd wait for you outside the courtoom.
Taunting; when all of your appeals were declined.

i definitely agree with your rolling the nose advice. i own a sabre 1 150. and yes, ive been slammed, but with a properly rolled nose and tail they can open pretty good.

Oh, the rolling nose myth again.B|

Don't have a device which controls the speed of opening?;)

If your sabre is opening up hard either get a pocket made for the slider or find a slider that is around 50% bigger. i did that for my monarch and it worked great.

http://www.pcprg.com/hardop.htm

DO NOT just exchange your slider for a bigger one as this can lead to HARDER openings (slider bigger = can come down the lines faster). Always ask your rigger.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

i definitely agree with your rolling the nose advice. i own a sabre 1 150. and yes, ive been slammed, but with a properly rolled nose and tail they can open pretty good.

Oh, the rolling nose myth again.B|

whenever i did that, i had linetwists and headings all over the place, just not where i was facing initially..

push the nose in, roll the stabs and pay attention to your slider and be good to go!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda