Superman32

When do you convert from whuffo to skydiver

to get your answer, ask yourself why whuffos ask, "whuffo?"

My guess is some combination of seeing all this as a glorified amusement park ride, misunderstanding the risk or attention paid to safety, and being unwilling to dedicate serious time and money to a hobby.

when you stop doing that, you stop asking whuffo.

Being a whuffo is about not getting it.
I did a tandem today (both Riggerrob and I had frosted over goggles[:/]). My student was jacked. She will never ever say 'whuffo you jump?' She knows! Therefore she is no longer a whuffo. You do not earn your way; you do not need to pay your dues. You either know why the birds sing, or you don't.

You missed a couple of poll options. Not everyone started jumping with a tandem first. You missed After 1st AFF jump and After 1st static line jump. :P;)
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Being a whuffo is about not getting it.
I did a tandem today (both Riggerrob and I had frosted over goggles). My student was jacked. She will never ever say 'whuffo you jump?' She knows! Therefore she is no longer a whuffo. You do not earn your way; you do not need to pay your dues. You either know why the birds sing, or you don't.

Deep thoughts:)
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

I jump, and am learning to fly. I PERSONALLY don't believe that a tandem takes you off whuffo status. But, that's just me. I have a friend that did a tandem, that is still a whuffo in her beliefs about the sport, although she'd do it again......long story.

I jump, and am learning to fly. I PERSONALLY don't believe that a tandem takes you off whuffo status. But, that's just me. I have a friend that did a tandem, that is still a whuffo in her beliefs about the sport, although she'd do it again......long story.

I was pretty sure after the 1st tandem. I have been back 3 more times. Going this weekend to begin my AFF. It is all I think about. I have watched the sky for the last 2 days, thinking man it would be a great day to jump.
Does that qualify me?;)

Just wondering what you think

You don't need to have ever skydived to be a non whuffo.
and someone who has skydived and still asks the question Whuffo? is STILL a whuffo.

To call youreslf a skydiver you need to skydive.
You don't call yourself a footballer after only ever playing one game of footy you have to play the game regularly.
But that's just my opinion, and like arseholes we all have our own:P
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I think to get from a whuffo is just a mindset and you do not need to skydive.
I believe I am someone who skydives. When I am able to play with others in the sky, then I will call myself a skydiver.

I would like to add, people who do it just for the piece of paper or to impress someone are not skydivers. They have to do it because they like the feeling.

I said "A" lic. because:
You pack your own
You can jump your own
You can jump other DZs
And #1 reason, yep! you now are licensed to jump when you what to.

I was pretty sure after the 1st tandem. I have been back 3 more times. Going this weekend to begin my AFF. It is all I think about. I have watched the sky for the last 2 days, thinking man it would be a great day to jump.
Does that qualify me?;)

If the technical definition is someone who asks "whuffo" makes you one-I've never been one. I always wanted to skydive. It took me 44 years to get around to it, but knew I would! ps-I've only got 2 tandems, but would REALLY like to start AFF sometime in the spring.
For my part, I know nothing with any certainty,
But the sight of the stars makes me dream.
-Vincent Van Gogh

Just wondering what you think

If you have to ask....

From what I went thru and what I witness others going thru...you feel you have to prove you are a jumper to everyone right at the beginning so you can feel accepted at the DZ and to feel special among non-jumpers.

Once you start to care more about the skydives and less about titles you will look back and realize that you made the transition without even noticing. However, it's hard not to concentrate on the transition when you are only making a couple jumps a month and you have a lot of free time and daydreams working against you. (which means you are already a jumper ;))