Hipwrddude

Mi Amor Friends, Camping & Absinthe

By this time Saturday night, 9 of us will be camped out on the Appalachian Trail, miles from civilization, soaking our brains in the inebriating elixir of the “Green Fairy.” We’ll have reached the top of the mountain after a 5-mile hike and the view from the overlook will be stunning. The cold chill of Old Man Winter will be offset by Bergelene and goose down underwear, 700 down rated clothing topped with balaclavas and thick gloves. We’ll offload internal frame packs of expedition and 4-season tents, subzero sleeping bags and gear with names like Marmot, Mountain Hardwear, Columbia, Arc’Teryx, The North Face, Mammut and Cloudveil. We’ll take in the view, smell and sounds of Mother Nature, as we fire up our stoves, rehydrate dehydrated food and feast. After collecting firewood, it will be a gathering of tribes around the campfire for a festive eve of reckless abandon. Ground rules of the tribal council are: everyone must be put down, insulted and ripped on until the laughter has subsided. Self-urination or temporary asphyxiation due to lack of oxygen caused by excessive laughter will not result in the cessation of public humiliation. Any member who commits a verbal blunder is subject to a diatribe of unkind words and foul gestures. Excessive intoxication is strictly forbidden yet jokes, lies and purported tales of extraordinary manhood are strongly encouraged. To all thee who read thee, presents greetings. We search for life in all that we do. It is what you make it and the making is good. To all my friends and future friends, Cheers! And Good Night! Oh, by the way, if you’re an Absintheur, let me know what you recommend. If you’re also into backpacking, Cheers to you! Now I must go and check my eyelids for holes. Good night! :)

You're always the starter in your own life!

"Absente" means = "missing" in French. Absente has none of the herbs and essences that make absinthe what it is. Hence the fact you can legally buy it in the US. And hence its name as well...
I think you will be surprised how the effects of absinthe are nothing like what regular liquor does to a person. It is a smooooooooth drink, and should be enjoyed accordingly. After a couple of drinks, you will discover the meaning of life. By the next morning, you will not remember what it is, but will remember that it was beautiful and...smooooooooooth.
Have fun. Count me in on the next one...:)

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Is it like tripping?

Not quite, but somehow. Whatever that means...:D
It's actually hard to compare it to anything. You have to try it...:)

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

:o you may have well just described heaven to me. Wow, that sounds like so much fun.Glad you're using an internal frame pack, heard those are a lot more comfortable than external frame packs. I am so jealous of your adventures!!! I will take my first backpacking trip next month, I can't wait. Glad you have friends that want to accompany you and bear the cold. And hey, if any "crisis" happens, something small like a sleeping bad gets soaked or you forget the toilet paper:D,it will definitely make the trip much, much more memorable.
I wish I could find people to do that sort of thing w/ me; but I'm still young, I'm sure I'll find a few to take with me.

Here's to you, your friends, freeze-dried food, fires, and fun.
:)
next time take me with okay?

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

Make sure the absinth has a lot of Tujonol in it, because thats what makes the "trip"-effect ;) I was once on absinth but was so drunken that I couldn't feel ANYthing trippy.. And remember to drink some water with it or after it, otherwise your backpacking trip could end really soon..

Cya,

Max

Make sure the absinth has a lot of Tujonol in it, because thats what makes the "trip"-effect ;) I was once on absinth but was so drunken that I couldn't feel ANYthing trippy.. And remember to drink some water with it or after it, otherwise your backpacking trip could end really soon...

Please DO DRINK absinthe mixed with water. Very few of them are OK straight up. But some of them can be extremely hazardous if ingested straight up.
Also, there are many more herbs & essences involved in absinthe than Tojonol to give it its special "touch":)

Hiking a part of the Appalachian someday is a big dream of mine. Enjoy it dude!

Also you should check out Bill Bryson's book "A walk in the woods" if you haven't already, it's a very funny account of his adventures on the trail.

peace

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Make sure the absinth has a lot of Tujonol in it, because thats what makes the "trip"-effect ;) I was once on absinth but was so drunken that I couldn't feel ANYthing trippy.. And remember to drink some water with it or after it, otherwise your backpacking trip could end really soon...

Please DO DRINK absinthe mixed with water. Very few of them are OK straight up. But some of them can be extremely hazardous if ingested straight up.
Also, there are many more herbs & essences involved in absinthe than Tojonol to give it its special "touch":)

If you want to go old school. You pour water over a sugar cube into the absinthe since the stuff is a bit bitter.

I don't know what Tojonol is. Do you mean thujone, which comes from the wormwood? It has never been proven conclusively that thujone has much of a real effect. Instead, most reserchers find that it is the super high alcohol content (around 75%) that accounts for much of the "high".

For good reference see

La Fee Verte article on Thujone

and

Totse.com Absinthe FAQ
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

I was never a huge fan of the Eastern Mountains. They are pretty but never quite held the same fascination for me as the West. One of these days I will actually get back to MY house in Montana. Haven't seen it since 2000. Abundant trout in every stream and lake, mountain lions, deer, elk, black and obscure grizzly bears, and there is even a wolf pack roaming around Freeze Out pass. Lost Praire 2006!!!! B|

I was partaking in a bit last night - actually - it was the same bottle with the 72 printed on it - good stuff.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Regardless of tests. I am at a stage in my life where I have been through the doors of perception and now am in the process of creating my own reality! ;)

ehhh, that sounds like some hippie crap to me ;)

Just kidding. I gotcha. :ph34r:

I take the philosophical approach: reality is anything I experience, whether that is chemical or not...its all reality.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Thanks for the insight. Here I assumed Absente was, like French for Absinthe and here I was "missing" the point. Thanks. And yes, you, Windcatcher, everyone is invited on the next trip wherever that is (whether it be in person or imagined.) Regarding the alcohol content of 72% Amer, youknowit, we'll be taking that easy... with plenty of wahtta. As a former serviceman who lived through some training in mountain warfare/cold weather survival, I here ya when you mention the cold. That's why I have to whip my bros into shape about what to bring, what not to and what to do--and no mistakes!@#$% Razzemfrazhem. Luego.

You're always the starter in your own life!

Regardless of tests. I am at a stage in my life where I have been through the doors of perception and now am in the process of creating my own reality! ;)

That's cool. I was just wondering if something that I would drink somewhere would screw me up somewhere else, ya know??

Never tried it though. B|
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.