skymama

Engagement rings for men?

So not ALL women want a big diamond or expensivce ring.

Damn, I seem to mingle with the wrong crowd!
Our wedding bands had little diamonds, inside, nice, not visible from the outside eye. But the engagement ring, thats another story...

i love the way you can tell if the girl has a guy but the women never know who is in a relationship or not hahahahaha

and cheaters never prosper

Look what i made at work today mom!! Put it on the fridge
http://www.bouda.moonfruit.com

That's great! I'd get my guy an engagement ring! Uh, but I'm about 11 years too late...and he doesn't like to wear jewelry. :$

He wears just his plain, gold wedding band (but I INSISTED on getting the realllly wide gold band for him. Y'now, the kind that says, "I'M MARRIED back the f*%& off."

:D:D:D:D:D
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I think that all engagement rings sort of 'mark' people and it's a sign of possession. I guess I'm not so much a fan of either. I don't mind gifts that are a symbol of love, just not if they are a symbol of ownership. I guess I am weird that way. :)

I like to be owned. :| That also means someone has to care for me. :)

>Not liking diamonds is a curable form of dementia. Come shopping with me. >:(<
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

When my ex-husband and I got engaged, we had this discussion and agreed that it was silly for the woman to get 2 rings and the guy to get 1. So I asked him what he wanted - ring, watch, ???? - and he chose a ring. So, yes, my ex did have an engagement ring.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

I probably wouldn't get Derek one cause I doubt he would wear it,

:oDid I miss something? You'll have to fill me in at dinner.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I guess I'm just too practical to get into this idea. Like you said, an engagement and wedding ring go nicely together on a woman's finger. They are both simple bands for a man. I can't really see a man wearing one on top of the other on the same finger, so I assume it's just going to sit in a dresser drawer for the rest of his life after he gets the wedding ring. While the thought is good, it seems like a waste of money to me.

Total agreement here

The Engagement Ring Industry is already making way too money by manipulating the general Public.

The whole 2 Months Salary for an Engagement ring is just STUPID. How about use that 2 Months Salary to put down payment on a House or some other investment in your future.

DaBeers has done such an unbelievable job in marketing their useless stones and convinced people that they have throw away such ridiculous amounts of money on something so useless at time in a couple’s life where they usually really need that money to get a good start in life.

Now they want to sell you 2 Engagement rings??
PT Barnum summed it up best - There is a sucker born every minute.

I wasn't going to have the love of my life wearing a damned $200 ring if I could do anything about it.

I'm just curious...why does it matter so much that the ring have a certain price or value? If you're equating the value of the ring with the love of your life, it seems that the relationship would be "doomed" because of this kind of thinking, as well.

Andy gave me his grandmother's engagement ring, which is probably worth less than $200. But, neither of us really care what its monetary value is. That's not what matters in a marriage.

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

I think its silly.

I think wedding rings are silly too for that matter.
I dont wear mine half the time and the only reason I wear it at all is because my wife likes it.

To me they feel like someone put a tag on me claiming ownership.
Hands off ladies, I BELONG to another woman.

Nah.

I think engagement rings for women are silly too and RIDICULOUSLY overpriced.

I know, I'm as romantic as an old log. I can live with that B|

PS. You forgot the "man: Gimme a break" option in the poll ;)
__

My mighty steed

The Engagement Ring Industry is already making way too money by manipulating the general Public.

The whole 2 Months Salary for an Engagement ring is just STUPID. How about use that 2 Months Salary to put down payment on a House or some other investment in your future.

DaBeers has done such an unbelievable job in marketing their useless stones and convinced people that they have throw away such ridiculous amounts of money on something so useless at time in a couple’s life where they usually really need that money to get a good start in life.

Now they want to sell you 2 Engagement rings??
PT Barnum summed it up best - There is a sucker born every minute.

Thank God, another practical person. I was starting to feel lonely. :D

The Original Cabana Boy!

I'm just curious...why does it matter so much that the ring have a certain price or value?

Good question.

The ring you recieved has family and traditional value. I wanted a ring that would be something that we might be proud to give a son (and him be proud to have to give) to give a women someday and their son to give another women. I wanted something that had value that could become a family harelum. Not only that but I wanted to get her the best I could, I wanted to do even more since she didn't care if I used a simple gold band. Just like I do now and just like I want to do for the rest of our lives, I have a strong desire to simply provide and do the best I can for her and for our future children.

Hopefully that all makes sense.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I think that all engagement rings sort of 'mark' people and it's a sign of possession. I guess I'm not so much a fan of either. I don't mind gifts that are a symbol of love, just not if they are a symbol of ownership. I guess I am weird that way. :)

I agree with you. I think however, that someday I might find a person worthy of allowing that infringement on my independence. WTH. :)

Thoughts?

I think it would probably be wasted on most guys.

A wedding band really stands for something, but I think the whole engagement ring scam is a crock. The diamond brokers, who work for the thugs that run Debeers, will tell you that it is an investment...that's BS, it's a gift. I bought into the whole thing too...I was in love....bought the 2+ carat "investment quality", GIA certified stone....did the fancy, platinum setting with the stones on the side...the whole thing. My ex rarely ever wore the thing cause she worked in a laboratory environment. Now it's sitting in her jewelty box (I bought that too). What a waste... never again.

I love my ring. But yes, it is a bit crazy that my husband's ring only cost $300 whereas mine cost over $3k. (His - plain gold, mine - 1k of diamonds, tho.) But I agree with all that stuff Dave said about it lasting a lifetime and being a family heirloom. Not to mention I wear it every single day, so I have to love it.

I didn't need it to be huge, but I did want one that was really beautiful, that would catch someone's eye. I ended up putting in some money on it so he could get the one I wanted. I love it and I'm going to keep it forever. BTW, thats another reason to get a nice one. I know lots of women who got a really small/plain one for their wedding, and then later on upgraded to something else. I wanted one that I would keep forever, so that when I am 65 I am still wearing the ring my husband gave me when I was 25. :)
Oh, right, the topic of the thread - mens' engagment rings - sure, thats a nice idea. My husband probably wouldn't have gone for it, but it makes sense to me. I don't know if it would ever catch on in the States, tho. Too many traditionalists.
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

Well I was the one to ask my X to marry me so I bought him a ring. Then we went and bought mine together. I got him one with his birthstone rather than a diamond, cause it fit her personality better

I'm confused:D did you get engaged to someone you found out was gay?

Yep I discovered he had no balls which would be why we are no longer married, and I hooked up with a guy with balls to spare. ;)
Fly it like you stole it!

Well I was the one to ask my X to marry me so I bought him a ring. Then we went and bought mine together. I got him one with his birthstone rather than a diamond, cause it fit her personality better

I'm confused:D did you get engaged to someone you found out was gay?

Yep I discovered he had no balls which would be why we are no longer married, and I hooked up with a guy with balls to spare. ;)

Ouch! B|

The Original Cabana Boy!

That's not even too expensive. :D

Some of my coworkers have engagement rings valued over 10 grand. I don't think they required them to be that pricey, but it's what they got, nonetheless.

$10K, WTF! I wouldn't buy a ring that expensive if I was a millionaire. That's just retarded, I'm sorry....$10K for ring....please :S

The Original Cabana Boy!

I said I don't like diamonds. I actually love russian alexandrite and some other alternatives. I just have a need to be unique. Not much of a 'shopper' though actually. Guess that makes me weird too.

I don't like diamonds either, they are such blah, cold, heartless looking stones. My engagement ring is an emerald.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda