ChrisL

When faded friends fade back in

He was your first love. That is a big difference from being a first girlfriend. My first girlfriend was certainly NOT my first love.

THere is one thing to making your SO happy. There is another thing when that person is being so selfish and insecure that they are ruining YOUR happiness. Selfishness is often a two way street.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

You knew she was insecure and overly emotional, but you married her anyway, you really have no ground to stand on as far as being mad at her.

You knew what you were marrying and now you want to complain about it?

You are assuming that I knew everything there was to know about my wife before we got married.
Thats a pretty big assumption and in this case, completely wrong.

I was not aware that this was a problem until long after we were married. I dont actually have 1000 female friends that this would pop up right away.

I ASSUMED that as an adult I could chose who I want to be friends with.

Jealousy and sensitivity don't form overnight, they are part of someone's personality. I find it very hard to believe there werent signs for the duration of your relationship before you got married, that she was an insecure woman. You either didn't pay attention enough to notice or you ignored them.

I think it's pretty low to call your wife an idiot and an asshole, too. :S

Being friends with ex's, I don't see as a problem.

The problem I see is the names you've called your wife and the fact that you are keeping this a secret at the moment from your wife. If she finds out without you having told her, **shudder** I wouldn't want to be within a 500 mile radius of that explosion.

Be honest with your wife. She's got to learn to deal with the fact that you're friends with your ex, and as long as you don't give her a reason to not trust your word that there is no attraction, etc., she has no reason to be worried.

Tell your wife, and if you're planning on hanging out with your friend, bring your wife along to begin with until she gets comfortable and sees there's no reason to worry. You never know...if you handle it the right way, she just may end up being friend's with your ex.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

I wouldn't worry about it, if she's as insecure as he thinks she is, she is probably checking his posts on this site occasionally. That'll help put that into context when they talk next.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

People are sometimes sexually attracted to blow up dolls, does that mean that you can't ever be left alone with pool toys? :S:D

My GF trusts me to go hang out with (usually drunk) college girls and does'nt care. I've never thought of doing anything that could ever cause her to lose trust in me and shes never done the same to me. I know she goes and hangs out with guys all the time. I've met some of her guy friends and would hang with them too since they are cool if I was there.

So you've never had a fantasy about sex with someone else huh? :S
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Jealousy and sensitivity don't form overnight, they are part of someone's personality.

You are correct. These were issues of hers that existed before I met her. However they did not become evident until something came along to trigger tham, and that didnt happen until long after we were married.

We did marry rather quickly, if that makes any difference to you,
tying the knot a mere 8 months after we started dating.
I dont think this fact means that I "deserve what I got" though.
We were in love.

Her insecurity did NOT rear its ugly head until we had been married for a couple years, mostly because I do not go out much and stay at home most of the time.
As a recovering alkie I dont socialize all that much.

Also, I did not call my wife an idiot or an asshole. I said that "with regard to female friends she is an idiot, and with regard to old flames that are now friends, she is a complete asshole"

She has called me far worse than that simply for having a woman I made a jump with one time send me an e-mail.
I dont think I'm all that low.

Obviously you seem to agree with my wifes position and think that a man cant simply be friends with a woman
__

My mighty steed

Here's a third option, he saw the signs of insecurity in addition to many other fine qualities. The good outweighed the bad. He loved her, he married her, he loves her still but as in any relationship, there are things about her he doesn't love. That's called marriage!

Are you saying you would never marry a man who wasn't perfect in every way?

(Oh and when my fiancee is acting like a jackass, I call him a jackass. That doesn't mean I don't love him!)

I repulse you???[:/]

FINE,no cookies for you!!!>:(>:(>:(

ok ok you don't repulse me... I just don't feel the need to make babies with you.

But you didn't mention all the practice.:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Obviously you seem to agree with my wifes position and think that a man cant simply be friends with a woman

I know that part wasn't directed at me specifically, but I wanted to comment on the above quote.I do in fact have guy friends who I am JUST friends with...how else would I be able to stay in this sport and actually have friends???:D:D:D

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

You are correct. These were issues of hers that existed before I met her. However they did not become evident until something came along to trigger tham, and that didnt happen until long after we were married.

We did marry rather quickly, if that makes any difference to you,
tying the knot a mere 8 months after we started dating.
I dont think this face means that I "deserve what I got" though.
We were in love.

Her insecurity did NOT rear its ugly head until we had been married for a couple years, mostly because IU do not go out much and stay at home most of the time.
As a recovering alkie I dont socialize all that much.

Also, I did not call my wife an idiot or an asshole. I said that "with regard to female friends she is an idiot, and with regard to old flames that are now friends, she is a complete asshole"

She has called me far worse than that simply for having a woman I made a jump with one time send me an e-mail.
I dont think I'm all that low.

Well, then that's unfortunate.

Yep, that's exactly what I think. /sarcasm :S

I think your wife is insecure and jealous, if that means I'm on her side, then I guess I am. :confused:

At any rate, good luck to you. I hope you can figure it all out.

Are you saying you would never marry a man who wasn't perfect in every way?

No, I'm saying that if you marry someone with qualities you know they have, you shouldn't complain about them later. You knew what you married.

In this case, he says he didn't know so I guess it's different, but I guess that can happen when you marry too soon.

I know that part wasn't directed at me specifically, but I wanted to comment on the above quote.I do in fact have guy friends who I am JUST friends with...how else would I be able to stay in this sport and actually have friends???:D:D:D

Actually that was directed to Conudrum. B|

I would point out that things got a lot worse when I started jumping
because now instead of spending all my weekends at home, some of them are at the DZ where there are lots of WOMEN.

If you believe my wife, I'm SO amazingly attractive, that you are ALL going to want to steal me from her. And of course having no mind or soul, I will blindly fall into the arms of any woman that expresses interest.

This belief is of course supported up by absolutely no evidence that this is the case .B|
__

My mighty steed

I would want to do everything possible to ensure a healthy,long-lasting marriage, and to me, one way to do that is to not have CLOSE male friends.

In my experience, guys usually dont meddle in or give advice regarding any of their friend's marriages. Female friends, on the other hand, are another story. Single girls, especially lesbians (in my observations), can be very bitter and divisive when it comes to the romantic lives of their married or attached girl friends. It seems they have the propensity to not have the best interest of their attached girl friends or marriages at heart. They just want to bring them into their unhappy fold.

[
I think your wife is insecure and jealous, if that means I'm on her side, then I guess I am. :confused:

My assumption that you were on her side was based on the spirit of your messages which seemed to indicate that you think I should have known these things about her before we married and therefore cant complain about them, and also the fact that you feel I was out of line in using profanity with regard to her behavior.

If I was wrong, then I stand corrected.
__

My mighty steed

option, he saw the signs of insecurity in addition to many other fine qualities. The good outweighed the bad. He loved her, he married her, he loves her still but as in any relationship, there are things about her he doesn't love. That's called marriage!

Very well said!

Chris ~ You should try to work on this issue of your wife's insecurities together with your wife. You may think that it's her problem and she should get over it, but having a "secretive friendship" (not that I think that there is anything wrong with you being friends with your ex) with an old girlfriend is not going to help your relationship with your wife at all. As a matter of fact, your wife will probably become even more jealous and insecure before this is over, once she finds out.

My advice is to tone down the friendship with the ex for a little while, until you can talk things over with the wife. Let her know that you want to have this person in your lives. Then, when your wife is ready to meet the ex, invite the old friend over to visit with the two of you. You two can then integrate her into your lives together. Who knows? Maybe the wife will become friends with her, too. Above all, your ex shouldn't be taking away from your confidences with your wife or from your private time with your wife.

Oh my god. After 2 years of posting I finally had a thread catch on fire! :)
Dont nobody say beer. Chris dont drink and Chris dont buy no beer B|

Fine...I don't drink beer anyway so I'll take a coke. :P
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

[

My assumption that you were on her side was based on the spirit of your messages which seemed to indicate that you think I should have known these things about her before we married and therefore cant complain about them, and also the fact that you feel I was out of line in using profanity with regard to her behavior.

If I was wrong, then I stand corrected.

I DO think you should have known her better before marrying, but I don't agree with her behavior. I think it's immature.

I don't think anyone should be calling their spouse names like that, not just you.

Truce? :)

Truce? :)

Truce :)
As I just said to another in PM, if I had only wanted people to affirm my actions, I would have posted it on the "chris-is-right.com" forums B|

I wanted other points of view and thats what I'm getting.

I'm not disapointed, hurt, or upset :)
__

My mighty steed

option, he saw the signs of insecurity in addition to many other fine qualities. The good outweighed the bad. He loved her, he married her, he loves her still but as in any relationship, there are things about her he doesn't love. That's called marriage!

Very well said!

Chris ~ You should try to work on this issue of your wife's insecurities together with your wife. You may think that it's her problem and she should get over it, but having a "secretive friendship" (not that I think that there is anything wrong with you being friends with your ex) with an old girlfriend is not going to help your relationship with your wife at all. As a matter of fact, your wife will probably become even more jealous and insecure before this is over, once she finds out.

My advice is to tone down the friendship with the ex for a little while, until you can talk things over with the wife. Let her know that you want to have this person in your lives. Then, when your wife is ready to meet the ex, invite the old friend over to visit with the two of you. You two can then integrate her into your lives together. Who knows? Maybe the wife will become friends with her, too. Above all, your ex shouldn't be taking away from your confidences with your wife or from your private time with your wife.

I agree with you on all points. Others have said pretty much the same thing.

I really do want to tell her. Even though theres nothing going on it makes me feel kind of sleazy.

The real problem is, that there is no way I can bring this up without having a MAJOR explosion.
It is completely unavoidable and that simple fact really makes me angry.

As you and others have said, it will be worse if she finds out on her own.

The worst thing of all is that no matter how it turns out, I will have to pay a price for it.
My wife will basically say "Its her or me" and by all rights my response to that SHOULD be "If you force me to chose, then I will chose her for no other reason than you forced me to chose."
If i chose my wife, then I lose a friend in favor of someone that forces me to give up friends to cater to theri childish insecurity.

Its a lose/lose situation

I predict that I will lose.

Frustration is: I'm 40 years old and my wife is 43.
I honestly thought this kind of nauseating highschool crap was WAY behind me :S
__

My mighty steed

I can understand a woman's insecurities driving a guy totally batty. Even I have my insecure moments. Rare, but they happen and it bugs my husband because he wants me to see myself as the amazing person that he perceives me to be.

Does having a 'secret friendship' help your wife's insecurity, or does it give her good reason to doubt you? If you would refrain from telling her something like this, how can she believe there is nothing else you are not telling her? These you need to answer for yourself.

If you are emailing your friend regularly, do you talk with her more about your life, what is going on, how things are treating you more than you discuss everything with your wife? If you are always open and communicating with your wife, then emailing someone else isn't a big deal. If you and your wife are not talking a lot or being open with each other, and you are emailing someone else on the side, that is a problem. You are giving something that your wife deserves first to another woman.

Have you considered counselling or working directly with your wife on the insecurity thing? Insecurity is as much a hell for her as it is for you to deal with it. No woman wants to feel that way about herself, she just doesn't know any other way. It isn't easy to break that.

Last night, I had a hell of an insecurity night. I accused my husband of being critical of my router work on the cabinets even when he hadn't said a word, I just went by the look on his face. An arguement ensued. I asked him how was I supposed to know that he wasn't being critical of me. He replied 'because I told you.' That shut me up. My husband has never lied to or misled me in any way, and he never would. I was wrong for projecting my insecurities on him and causing an arguement as a result. Insecurity isn't the only issue, trust comes into play too.

Have you let her know just how much it bothers you that she doesn't believe in you? It isn't the insecurity that drives you nuts directly, but the fact that it drives a wedge between you, puts you in the position of having to hide things, and that you feel as though she doesn't trust you when she refuses to believe what you say?

Everyone else here hit on the idiot and asshole comments. But you also say you dearly love your wife. Make sure she knows that and work with her instead of against her or behind her back to help you both learn to cope with things like this. If not, it will be a reoccurring theme forever.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda