Adrock

Suggestions for Athens sightseeing?

The countdown has begun for my two-week trip to Greece (I leave in 3 days). I've never been, and have most of my trip planned out, including time in Athens, Volos, Nafplio and a couple of other smaller cities. Any suggestions on places that I just NEED to go?

If I can't use your suggestions now, I'll make sure to when I'm living in Athens in six months!

Thanks.

My suggestion for a good time in any cities:
Take a walk and get lost in the city. Monuments, etc... you can get postcards. Back streets and alleys will reveal to you the true nature of a city and culture.
Have fun.B|

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

The countdown has begun for my two-week trip to Greece (I leave in 3 days). I've never been, and have most of my trip planned out, including time in Athens, Volos, Nafplio and a couple of other smaller cities. Any suggestions on places that I just NEED to go?

If I can't use your suggestions now, I'll make sure to when I'm living in Athens in six months!

Thanks.

Don't forget my postcard!!!!!!!!!!
Scars remind us that the past is real

I'm not sure how close it is to Athens, but I've always wanted to go to Thermopylae. It is the site of a famous battle, where 300 Spartans and a few thousand of their allies held off over a million advancing Persians for one week. The last day, the Spartans sent their allies away, and covered their retreat. They fought to the last man.

Apparently it is a mountainous pass with natural hot springs, and there is a memorial to the battle there.

Mike

My suggestion for a good time in any cities:
Take a walk and get lost in the city. Monuments, etc... you can get postcards. Back streets and alleys will reveal to you the true nature of a city and culture.
Have fun.B|

Great way to put that, Frenchy. That's what I've always tried to do when visiting any city. I do like the monuments, but the backroads are better. I particularly like discovering some small quaint shop or place that for me embodies the culture of the place.

And Steve: Check your mail in a few weeks!

Athens is an interesting place. I preferred the smaller cities and beach towns like Nafplio.That was a great place to hang out. Stay there overnight.

-Be sure to catch sunset from Likavittos Hill.

-Wander through the Anofiotika neighborhood below the acropolis...it has the painted houses you will see on islands like santorini and has a good vibe to it.

-Mars Hill by the acropolis is awesome on full moon nite, lots of younger people hanging out there, guitar playing etc...

-The Zapion in the Natl Garden area is an outdoor movie theater w/good place to eat nearby.

Insight Guide has a good book on Athens....so does Knopf (great illustrations and maps).

I didn't have time to go to Meteora with its monasteries on top of tall narrow mountains. Looks wonderful.

By the way, if you get a chance, go to Istanbul. I liked it far more than Athens, and for me, people were friendlier and the History 'fresher' than those old Greek ruins....

have fun! Spring weather should be ok....but summer is broiling! Islands like Santorini are more fun not walking under the hot sun....

marc
ps taxis are a real pain to deal with! you'll learn why. use the metro and buses...

So jealous! I lived in an Athens suburb when I was little (age 5 to 8) and haven't been back since so I really don't remember enough about it to give you any suggestions about what to do. But I agree with the idea that you should get engaged in the street life - that's one thing I do remember - I remember spending a lot of time at little tavernas sitting outside eating great, cheap food and interacting with the locals.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Thanks, all, for the suggestions. I hope to get quite a bit of city-exploring done when I'm there this time.

And Chris, no need to cry yet, this time I'll only be gone for two weeks. It's in August when I leave for two years that you'll need to cry.:(

Avoid the 'Acropolis Sound and Light Show' dutifly sponsored by the UK. It was a waste of a walk across town and the money it cost to see it.
The acropolis is a cool place to visit during the day though. When you're walking back down from the acropolis, there will be a small restaurant on your right with tiny balconies on the second floor. The food was most delictible. :)
-----
~~~Michael