Kennedy

Read Any Good Books Lately?

No, Life of Pi is by Yann Martel (here). I haven't read it yet, but have heard nothing but raves about it. Recently I also read The DaVinci Code, and have to disagree with Michele on that one. I was totally blown away by the book, so much so that I've since read Angels & Demons, and am currently reading Digital Fortress, also by Dan Brown.

If I could just recommend one book though, it would have to be Power Vs. Force, by Dr. David Hawkins (here).

I'm walking a marathon to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Click Here for more information!

Richard Bach

Out of curiosity, Bach talks in one of his books about occasionally making skydives. Just enough to keep his rating current. Anyone ever jump with him?

Have to admit that he was a big part of my childhood dreams of flying.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

That WAS a good book! That William Hamlin character was a real sonofabitch. I thought Follet did a really good job with the book - and the opening-closing scenes brought the story full circle.

B|
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

wow... that's a pretty scathing review. I'm about to take up Angels and Demons.

Just finished it. Without giving away anything, the stuff that happens right before he jumps into the river makes you realize, Dan Brown doesn't have a clue about some aspects of what he writes. But it held my attention. I'm so easy.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

Yep.

Noam Chomsky's Hegemony or Survival....you know where.

I was simply enraged.

I saw Chomsky speak last year at UofH........He kinda walked out and started talking. He hit on a few points of interest but nothing too specific. I was not expecting a little old man! He did have a Q&A session that lasted about an hour. I could not believe some of the dumb things people were asking!:)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

Current books:

1)American Dynasty-about the Bush family rise to power.
2)A book about dreams based on Jung concepts
3)The Little Prince-everyone should read this book!
4)A book of letters and short articals by Hunter S. Thompson.

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

"The Pillars of The Earth" by: Ken Fowlett

That's Ken Follett for anyone looking it up. It is a very good book.

I'm reading "Principia" by Sir Isaac Newton.

Really! It's cool - the first place Newton's Laws of Motion were written down, the first place the law of gravity was written down, the first place the orbits of the planets and Moon were ever explained, the first use of Calculus, the first description of vectors, and resolving vectors into their components (the word "vector" hadn't been invented yet)...

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I know i'm breaking the rules, but in the past 5 years, I've read many books. There are two very different books that stand high above the rest:

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, by Gregory Maguire. An incredible book that tells her side of the story...

and

Memoirs of a Geisha, by Arthur Golden. A beautiful story about a girl sold into womanhood. This one made me want to write an opera on the story (don't laugh, I'm a composer), but alas, I'm no good at writing poetry and have no libretto.

If you like literary fiction, check these books out.

This is a good book, if it's the one I think it is, I read it quite some time ago and really enjoyed it!

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

I'm assuming "Life of Pi" is Fowlett as well? or no..

I'm trying to find another one of his books that I might like... I found one about WWII ... but I don't know if I'm up for it...

Ken Follett (not Fowlett) has written loads of stuff - I think the one you are talking about is 'Blackbirds'? but try 'The Key to Rebecca'. My favourite one of his is set in Afghanistan but I forget the name. Amazon will have it.

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.