Kennedy

Read Any Good Books Lately?

Well, have you?

Simple rules: only one book, the last really good book you read. (providing the amazon link never hurt)

Mine is A Republic, Not an Empire: Reclaiming America's Destiny by Patrick J. Buchanan (yes, him). found here

It is quite possibly the best book on foreign policy I have ever read, seen, or heard about. I recommend it to anyone who likes to talk politics. You also might be surprised to find yourself agreeing with him even if you disagree with everything he has to say about here at home. I was.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

The Pillars of The Earth by Ken Fowlett

Never read him. Sounds like I know what to borrow from Barnes & Noble next. (Yup, they're my library now, I work for them)

From Publishers Weekly
Set in 12th-century England, the narrative concerns the building of a cathedral in the fictional town of Kingsbridge. The ambitions of three men merge, conflict and collide through 40 years of social and political upheaval as internal church politics affect the progress of the cathedral and the fortunes of the protagonists. "Follett has written a novel that entertains, instructs and satisfies on a grand scale," judged PW.

witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

"Gates of Fire" by Stephen someone or other. Story of the defence of Thermopylae by the Spartans. Stirring stuff...

Sorry - no link but Amazon do sell it. My connection is too slow to hunt that down!!:S

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

Pillars was rather good. A bit long, but overall, a very good book.

As for me, I'm in the middle (again) of "The Witching Hour" by Anne Rice. I'm not a huge fan of hers, but this particular set of books (it's a trilogy) is interesting.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

bout to start "the da vinci code" by dan brown....
i have only hear AWESOME things about this book!

:(
Sorry, Alana, but I found that book to be far less than the hype leads one to expect. It's repetitive, boring, and reads like a movie script. The characters are not developed well, and the plot is weak. It brings very little new to the table, and I, for one, wish I hadn't spent the money on this book (and that's a rare wish...)

Oh well.

Ciels-
Michele

Jonathan Livingston Seagull

again

the book is so worn that the cover has become a comfort to my fingers as I sleep.

Along those same lines:

Illusions - Tales of a reluctant messiah

Again.

Same author as Johnathan Livingston Seagull - Richard Bach

From the book:

"Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours"

If you are a fast reader you can put this one away in a couple short hours. Wonderful book, full of inspiration.
__

My mighty steed

Yep.

Noam Chomsky's Hegemony or Survival....you know where.

I was simply enraged.

This reminds me of a story - maybe true story dunno, anyway there's a professor of biology that does some groundbreaking research on genomics. Some shite about how DNA replicate at the molecular level. Anyway, he gets this big award and is on the news all over the place. After a few years, he quits his job and goes on a speaking tour talking about international politics. BIG audiences everywhere. Then one day, after one of his talks on foriegn relations during the Q and A, this man gets up and asks a question about DNA replication. Stunned the professor says "Didn't you hear my talk??? I didn't say anything about DNA!" To which the man replies - "No, but I feel its a lot closer to your area of expertise..."

Chomsky is a professor of linguistics at MIT. I've heard him talk several times and come away with the same impression - he who screams loudest and longest is usually heard most.

Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

The 5 People you Meet in Heaven by Metch Albom It was a gift and I enjoyed reading it while traveling to and from Florida. Oh and I think that he also wrote "Tuesdays with Morrie" (which I have not read).

kristen
swooo #3 MB #3587 P.M.S. #66
"so let go, jump in...what're you waiting for? it's all right 'cause there's beauty in the breakdown"

Operations for clan. meth. laboratory shutdowns and clean up. Just a cool book on meth lab raids and booby trap hazards for us haz-mat technicians. It showed you how cookers will place cyanide crystals on a plate and place a jar of hydrochloric acid next to it. They place it near a closed door, and when you open the door it tips the jar over into the plate and it reacts creating hydrogen cyanide gas. Another good one is to rig a hot plate to a light switch. On the hot plate is a milk carton of gas. If anyone walks in and turns on the switch the hot plate heats up and causes a fire. [:/]

wow... that's a pretty scathing review. I'm about to take up Angels and Demons.

I know it's scathing. It's my honest opinion, though. I've heard better about Angels. However, I'm still regretting the $20 spent on Da Vinci, and so I likely won't read that one unless someone loans it to me (I have an odd fear of libraries...;)).

Ciels-
Michele