wildblue

I no shit just got a ticket for jaywalking

When the judge or commisioner asks you for your side of the story after the cop tells his, remember to start your spitting diatribe with these two words

(-honest, I was a cop for a long time)

"Listen Fucker!"

It also helps if you reach into your jacket like you have a gun.

The court people think it's funny and they laugh real hard every time.

Honest.

:P

Let me get this right....
in the states you can get fined for crossing the road if you don't use a pedestrian crossing?!
That is the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard!:D

Nigel
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Sponored by NZ Aerosports, CYPRES 2, Tonfly & L&B

Team Dirty Sanchez #232

in the states you can get fined for crossing the road if you don't use a pedestrian crossing?!

It's worse than that - if you even use the crossing, but against the light - they'll fine you. Isn't America great? We'd all be dead or injured if not for the glorious motherland keeping us safe!

Deuce -
While you've never done anything to cause me not to trust you... I don't think I'm going to take your word on this one. Maybe I'll pay the guy in front of me $20 to do it and see what happens. I think the whole Atlanta thing may have people a tad jumpy.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Usually i push the button, wait for a gap, and the RUN!!! RUN AS FAST AS I CAN!!
Who's got time to wait for the lights to change anyway!?
The traffic doesn't move very quick in London so its easy to run across the middle of the road, just watch out for the motorbikes

Nigel
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Sponored by NZ Aerosports, CYPRES 2, Tonfly & L&B

Team Dirty Sanchez #232

Guess that will teach ya.

Quit breaking the law and somehow justify it by
nothing better to do. Thats why we have Speed limits and Laws in this Country. There are reasons for them. Safety etc.:)
Sometimes you are in the right. And in that case it is a Bad Bad deal even the Cops and other Court people make mistakes. So I know where you stand on that. It Stinks

Yeah, I'm kinda with him on that. Yes, a jaywalking fine seems pretty stupid and petty (and I've certainly jaywalked myself), but it is a law. I believe you have to enforce the laws on both sides of the fence (i.e., bust drivers for running red lights or turning into a crosswalk when a pedestrian has the right of way). I live in a city where people are (generally) pretty respectful of pedestrians - not perfect and you have to keep on your toes, but people *will* stop for you around here, which somehow still surprises me after living here almost 8 years. But if we expect the cops to nail the drivers for violating pedestrian rights of way, we also have to expect them to get the pedestrians who don't follow the rules.

That said, I'm pretty biased on this issue because I got hit by a car as a pedestrian a couple years back - I was in the crosswalk, crossing with the walk signal and the guy ran the red light, slammed another car and slammed me. And then hired a lawyer and got out of his ticket. >:( Yeah, it cost him a fortune to do that and the size of my insurance claim probably sent his premium through the roof, but it still sucks. I guess my point is if pedestrians want rights (the abilty to cross legally in a crosswalk without being concerned that some idiot's going to plow through there) we also have to accept the responsibility (stay out of the street when it's not our turn).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

you shoulda told him that your name is brandon and that you hang out at bw3's up there. :D

seriously though...i might not visit anymore now that i know that you live with the gestapo! [:/]
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

lol. that is sad. I didn't think those tickets were really written in the states. :S

I may be wrong, but I bthink that they're not allowed to write jaywalking tickets in Illinois. Maybe that's why people think they can always walk right in front of your car!
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Maybe I'll pay the guy in front of me $20 to do it and see what happens.

Water balloons then.

Judge: Did you, or did you not cross the street against the light?

WB: I don't understand the question, your emminence.

Judge: There's a blinking light on the other side of the street, right next to those two lines that go across the street that you were walking in. It either had an image red hand showing, or a characature, kind of like a cartoon, zippy, of a green person walking. Was is showing the hand or the person walking?

WB: Heck, worshipfullness, I have no idea! I was pretty busy trying to get to the island in the middle of the road, and with the UPS driver blasting on his horn and that retarded rent-a-cop waving his hands and shouting and everything I don't really remember if there was one of those signs at all.

:P

The first rule of breaking and rule or law is: Dont get caught.

Rule two is: When caught, act contrite and beg forgiveness.

:)

very true! Its much worse when they don't look when they step off the curb or even open a long car door! I do wish they could get tickets.. but then again, i'm sure i would get a fair share of them.

you dont see this happening in nyc, but then again that would be suicidal

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

I think that it is one of the most retarded laws in existance.

I "jaywalk" every morning walking between the parking structure and office. If a person is unable to determine if it is safe to cross the road they are either a child (ok fine) or belong in an institution.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Did you, or did you not cross the street against the light?

This I actually can't honestly answer. There was a group in front of me waiting for the light, I wasn't that far behind them, it was still the stupid little walking person as I approached, but it may have started blinking by the time I entered. I'm usually looking down the road for oncoming traffic at that point when I cross there, because people get hit all the time there - cars don't look for stop lights in the middle of a block.

I was pretty busy trying to get to the island in the middle of the road

One way street, no island.

and with the UPS driver blasting on his horn

Wasn't any traffic

retarded rent-a-cop waving his hands and shouting

I'm not even sure where he was... there were 3 or 4 of them around handing out tickets (another reason I purposefully went for the crosswalk) some other bike cop (she was actually nice) stopped me and asked me to wait - I was well into a dark parking lot at that point. He came riding up a few minutes later from the general direction of where I came from and started writing a ticket. I'm not trying to argue that jaywalking is a stupid law, even though it is. It just annoys me how screwed up the 'traffic court' system is here. They can blab on all they want about how it isn't a revenue generator, it is. And this guy didn't really care if I was the right person or not, he was going to write me a ticket and let me pay the fine or let the courts deal with it.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you, or did you not cross the street against the light?

This I actually can't honestly answer.

I can hear it now....... the gavel slamming into the bench and one skydiver still missing his two jumps.

Crying shame.