op5e

Bike accident = No skydiving for 3 mths

Hi all,

Sorry all for posting here, I know I only new and stuff. But I figured this site will be the only thing keeping me from going crazy from not being able to jump.

Pretty much I was riding to work and then pulled into a car park area. I saw a car coming from a side 'road' in the car park to my left. So I put on my breaks slightly to see what she was going to do. At the T intersection she stopped, so I took my hands off the breaks and kept going. Of course she stopped, but didn’t even bother to look and T boned me. Fortunately she only travelled 5 meters or so and I was only going car park speed so it was only low impact but her car was on top of my bike and hence my leg got a few grazes and my fibula was broken.

Fortunately it was a cute nurse that did the scrubbing of the wounds and needle and stuff. Also the doctor said that it was a bone that even left alone and nothing done would heal well. But my very prompt reply of, "how long till I can skydive next?" was answered with 3 months or so.

My bike a Kawasaki ZZR-250 is a little worst for wear and probably is a write off. Thank god for safety gear else I might have been a write off. Will be buying proper bike boots as soon as I am able to return to the bike. Also it was on the way to work so it is covered by workers compo and she is fully insured.

Ironically my skydiving A license should be in the mail as we speak, and I cannot use it. Also it means all my xmas jumping will have to wait for another day. I plan to save as much as I can, during these 3 months and then jump a heap when I return.

Thank god the weather is sucking at the moment.

God damn dude!

That sucks.

I hope you have her license, her name and a good lawyer. She needs to learn a lesson, a very HARD lesson.

Skydiving will be here when you get you leg healed up, don't be afraid to go out to the DZ and drink beer with everyone at the end of the night, though. It'll probably help you from going totally insane!

I almost had to lay my bike down yesterday due to a careless driver while doing about 45mph...people fucking SUCK!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Thanks for your concern.

Yes I have all her details and already have insurance claim etc.. Just have to find another bike.

As for hanging out at the DZ after hours, unfortunately my only transport was the bike and the closest DZ is like 2+ hours drive. So I think I will save the money and go hard when my leg is healled. Am however thinking of hanging out at picton for New Years. Anyhow know how picton is for NY eve?

I read about your near miss and it does sound very familiar to some of mine. People in cages can suck sometimes. Mind you this carpark accident is something I have nearly had happen to me many times before.

Anyways as I have only just taken up motorbikes, skydiving, snowboarding, rollerblading at skate parks. I guess this is only the first of many hospital trips.

Yes I have all her details and already have insurance claim etc.. Just have to find another bike.

Naw, I was hoping you would call a lawyer. Teach the bitch a lesson about LOOKING for bikers.

She didn't just run into you, she assaulted you with her car, attempted murder, that's the way I look at it. You hit me, I'm suing you back into the stoneage. That's literally the only thing I would sue for (that I can think of in my current life).

Anyways as I have only just taken up motorbikes, skydiving, snowboarding, rollerblading at skate parks. I guess this is only the first of many hospital trips.

Man, maybe you should stick to a safer sport, like skydiving.:P

Saw your thread and clicked on it. Sorry about your misfortune! Guess you'll get to miss all the nasty winter weather, though. :^)

I just bought a bike myself tonight. Can't wait to take it out this weekend! Take a look-see! :)>

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Naw, I was hoping you would call a lawyer. Teach the bitch a lesson about LOOKING for bikers.

She didn't just run into you, she assaulted you with her car, attempted murder, that's the way I look at it. You hit me, I'm suing you back into the stoneage. That's literally the only thing I would sue for (that I can think of in my current life).

Thats a bit rough. While I agree that she may very well be a dumb bitch, no driver will be perfect as long as they are human. Also being a sportbike rider myself, I know that partaking in the activity of motorcycling, that I am at a bigger risk on the road with far less protection. It is much like the inherent dangers of skydiving, you could do everything right and still die. With Biking, you can do everything right and die as well.

As a motorcyclist you must have the mindset that you are invisible to ALL other drivers on the road, and I take it as my own personal responsibility to avoid accidents. I know that before I had a bike, I've looked right through bikers, drivers are looking for cars and mentally filter almost everything else out. Have you ever been in a position where a pedestrian "ran out in front of you?" Same deal.

And this is coming from a guy who has been rear ended and it cost me THOUSANDS of dollars for the PRIVELEDGE of being rear ended. The important thing is that everyone is still able to live another day.

op5e: I am happy to see you are really levelheaded about the entire thing. I wish you a speedy recovery so that you can get back to whats important in life. Unfortunately you were hit, but I have a feeling I know what you'll do the next time you find yourself in the same situation. Be careful, they're out there.

I dig and I feel the same way. Things can happen and we are invisible (that point was driven home to me once again on Wednesday), BUT when it comes to someone fucking up and hurting me (or a family member) very quickly I go from nice cuddily David to 100% fucking asshole. So I don't see it as harsh, I see it as a lesson that needs to be taught before she actually kills a biker.

I certainly will log on often. I used to fine myself loggin onto other forums and they have all gone by the wayside for dz.com. I spend hours and still dont get through all the new posts. Damn you all stop talking. And a large number of posts make me smile often. Thanks again for your concern.

I just phoned my DZSO and he was pretty bummed, lol. I promised I would make it up to him when I return in a few months.

In regards to missing the winter weather. I am from Australia and hence I am missing the summer. I have a flight booked for Queensland on the 21st Dec and I will not be able to enjoy Ramblers or the beach.

Well my bone didn't heal properly. Last thursday I got a plate put in my leg and pretty much the counter has started again. It has been 2 months of no skydiving and I expect no skydiving for about 3 and a half or 4 months from now.

Think I might buy my skiis and stuff because they might be more useful by then.

Hey op4e....... so sorry for ya what a shit thing to have happen >:(

Dont worry though i've been grounden since Jan but hope to get airborne soon! ;)

Take care

Renee

A man who views the world at 50, the same as he did when he was 20, has wasted 30 yrs of his life.

"Muhammad Ali"

Well my bone didn't heal properly. Last thursday I got a plate put in my leg and pretty much the counter has started again. It has been 2 months of no skydiving and I expect no skydiving for about 3 and a half or 4 months from now.

Think I might buy my skiis and stuff because they might be more useful by then.

Just an update, pretty much I am out of the cast walking and all that (with a limp). Pretty much healling great and should not have any problems. I will be able to hike again in 2 weeks, hopefully start running again in 6 weeks. But doc has said I should not ski this year. And he said I shouldnt skydive for 3 months. Arg, accident happened first week of December so that means I will have been off skydiving for 8 months total. Damn and all the good training camps are in June/July. Oh well.

How many other people have broken their lower fibula and got a plate. What turn around did you have after the surgery?
:|[:/]:S:(

What turn around did you have after the surgery?

That's great that you're out of the cast! And it sounds like the doctor has a realistic viewpoint about skydiving.

Unfortunately, what worked for others might not be right for you. Really. Some folks heal faster. A friend's wife has had an external fixator for the last couple of years from a broken leg that just won't heal (there was a tumor there when she was a kid).

Good luck on the healing. If you pay a lot of money for a good doctor, listen to his advice.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hopefully Bobster will post something here..but he broke his fib just above the ankle...has a plate...and is already jumping again.

Recovery is different for everyone, but don't be afraid to push yourself to the limits while recovering.

Having recovered from a femur myself - I can tell you that the more you push it (within limits...obviously don't hurt yourself further...the quicker and better off you'll be later).

Good luck - heal quick!!

Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Kiwi, RB #926, AFF-I, FAA Snr. Rigger, RN/BSN/Paramedic

But doc has said I should not ski this year. And he said I shouldnt skydive for 3 months. Arg, accident happened first week of December so that means I will have been off skydiving for 8 months total. Damn and all the good training camps are in June/July. Oh well.

How many other people have broken their lower fibula and got a plate. What turn around did you have after the surgery?
:|[:/]:S:(

Don't be such a WUUSSY Chimp, harden the f#%k up and jump at the LCC in July:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?