fly-by69

Riggers who are Alcoholics

Question?:
do you let them pack your reserve or mod. your gear?
drunks don't stop drinking for SHIT!!! not their kids not to drive & not to repack a reserve...

when it's drinkin time, it's fucking drinkin time.
nope, don't give two fucks what you care about my profile

not interested in getting folks in trouble.
you guys got nothing better to do...lets hear it
you know them... no not looking for names.

"Just cause I fucked you last nite, must mean I'm too hungover to pack your reserve today!!" :P

Flame away...

I have flown a reserve packed by an alcoholic, another by a drug addict. Three times I have flown reserves packed by a reformed alcoholic. The alcoholic was sober and the chronic wasn't stoned (I don't think).
The number of times I have flown in aircraft flown by a hungover pilot is of way more concern.

Good Gawd, what a pansy ass sport its become . . .

And while I'm sure there are some exceptions most drunken riggers (and aren't they all) observe the green light rule. I even know a couple that have actual green and red lights mounted on a wall in their lofts. The red light burns during shop hours and then the green light is switched on.

Also most alcoholics I know in skydiving will tell you, "Thank god for skydiving or I'd be drinking 24 hours a day."

And gee whiz, many of you wouldn't have survived the 70s when everyone was doing heroin, the 80s when everyone was smoking pot, or the 90s when everyone was snorting coke. And all through that time I've never heard of a case where a "flying" rigger killed someone . . .

NickD :)

taking your bait:

"And gee whiz, many of you wouldn't have survived the 70s when everyone was doing heroin, the 80s when everyone was smoking pot, or the 90s when everyone was snorting coke."

many many didn't survive:S

"And all through that time I've never heard of a case where a "flying" rigger killed someone . . ."

where the fuck have you been?
where would you like me to start with the crazy shit riggers have done wrong? recently too. maybe it was under some influence.....who knows. people have died from fucked up reserves.

It aint cool to drive drunk when you can kill someone else. it s not just yourself in danger. Iits not cool to pack someones reserve drunk because you might kill them.

i drink with the best of them so i aint no saint

its my job to pack reserves sober & other riggers to be sober...its our fucking responsibility to each other as friends if anything and mods on gear too

so you and your drunk rigging buddies are better than alcohol, heroine, pot, coke, and,meth cuz you beat the odds? you got away without killing your friends, or maybe you didn't because you were all too fucked up to know you screwd up, nice.

I must be drunk

since I'm not skydiving

you know more than most as educated as you are what mistakes riggers have made.

you also know most riggers are not subject to drug testing while working as part of their terms of employment.

As i said im not trying to get anyone in trouble.
there IS something wrong with being under the influence while servicing someone elses gear...and for money.

well known "crazy things riggers have done" such as: leaving molar straps in, not having a rapide link screwed, hooking a reserve up sideways, etc. are more likely to happen under the influence. all happened by human error, so why add drugs and alcohol to that?
and human error can include being under the influence, proven or not.

>well known "crazy things riggers have done" such as: leaving molar straps
>in, not having a rapide link screwed, hooking a reserve up sideways, etc. are
>more likely to happen under the influence. all happened by human error, so why
>add drugs and alcohol to that?

I agree! It's a bad idea. I am sure most would agree.

But that's not what I'm asking. Nick said that he had never heard of a case where a drunk/stoned rigger killed someone. You replied "where the fuck have you been?" Apparently he's been the same places I have, since I've never heard of such a case either.

Thus, I don't think it's a huge problem. If you have evidence to the contrary, by all means, post it. If not, it may be the same level of problem we have now with drunk 4-way teams at Nationals. (i.e. it's surely a bad idea, but has never, to my knowledge, caused any injuries or deaths - and thus it's nothing like drunk driving which _does_ kill a lot of people.)

Look bub, you're involved in a sport where newbies and first timers are told they are 'required' to provide a case of beer for every milestone they reach, and riggers are rewarded with a bottle of liquor packing a reserve that works.

You're surprised that some jumpers don't know where to draw the line when it comes to drinking? The sort of person who jumps out of airplanes for fun has trouble drawing the line? This is what surprises you? Really?

never said it surprised me.
all the cases of beer and swoop and chugs. its a culture built upon addictions and a sport that is one. im well aware of that

just curious who does what when it comes to getting their gear serviced, simple.

Ii asked because the majority of jumpers I know give their gear very willingly to someone they know will be messed up while servicing it simply because they are good friends.
why wouldnt you take your "last chance" to someone you know will do their best? which i consider sober. friend or not. i wont pack my own main after one beer.

i find it a valid question
if i knowingly give my reserve to a rigger i know is gonna be shitfaced by 2:30 pm and i go in from something they messed up...i'll be dead. but in that chain of events thats where i screwed up.

cant prove it in most cases and this wasnt a post to bring up names, bad blood, or hurt feelings. so, no, i wont.

but if we should all know our gear and be responsible for our gear.....wouldnt that be part of it?

i wouldnt blame the drunk rigger. id blame the deceased for not making a wiser decision.

just curious who does what when it comes to getting their gear serviced, simple

I pack my own stuff, main and reserve. Minor repairs I give to my local rigger, and I inspect all work before I jump it. Major work goes to the manufacturer, and I inspect all work before I jump it.

Look bub, you're involved in a sport where newbies and first timers are told they are 'required' to provide a case of beer for every milestone they reach, and riggers are rewarded with a bottle of liquor packing a reserve that works.

I seriously forget how much I love this sport.

If you don't want to use a drunken rigger then don't. Good gawd, it's not complicated. :S

What if they don't tell you? How about someone who smokes out before they head into the loft?

Your pilot is bound by the FAR's not to use, but not your rigger?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

thank you.
i started this with some dipshit attitude for shock value, but id like some serious replies.
told several friends that theyd be better off going to so & so but they shrug it off.
guess i just dont get that reasoning.
one can never really know if they are pilled up or whatever, but when its blatantly obvious that they are a drunk why even go down that path?
Most I know are being faithful to their org. rigger....who might have been great but shit takes its toll. some of those i used to swear by i'd no longer let even pack my main. sad to say

Did enjoy the reply about the shakes & sweat...funny!

I don't know about you guys, but I won't turn a wrench on a customer's car if I've had any beer. Generally won't even do it on my own.

At my DZ I've always turned down the beer until I've completed packing the last rig, my own included.

Drinking while rigging? Can you look at yourself in the mirror if you phuck it up and someone goes in? Even if you only had one or two how would you ever sleep at night without wondering if you wouldn't have made a mistake had you left the beer until after the job was done? How about legal liability?

-Michael

drunk riggers, drunk doctors, drunk car mechanics, drunk musicians, drunk firewood delivery guys, drunk carpet installers and drunk skydivers.

I have dealt with them all, most I told to piss off. If you do not want to, then don't.

pretty simple really.