Skolls081102

I need help, (this might be long).

Alright, I have wanted to skydive for many years now. It's finally got to the point where it pretty much consumes my thought during the day. The problem is (as some of you know) is that I'm fat. There, I said it. Anyway, I need to lose weight (about 45 pounds the last time I checked) to make it to the 250 max limit for my first tandem. I was doing good for a while, eating right, and going to the gym, until I got an abdominal infection. It's kind of been downhill from there. I've been eating ok (not the best, but definitley not that bad either), but I haven't been back to the gym yet. I was really hoping to make my first jump sometime this summer, which is now looking like an impossible dream. 45 pounds even by August would be 11+ pounds a month. That may not seem like alot to some people, but to me it is.
So I need some motivation. Anything will do (except being mean:)Thanks in advance for any help or motivation I may receive.

The sole intention, is learning to fly.Condition grounded, but determined to try.Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies.Tongue tied and twisted, just an Earth bound misfit.

My dad weighed more than you did and he managed to drop 150 pounds in 10 months. He has since put some back on, but not all of it, at least. His secret: Weight Watchers.

It may sound silly, but having to go every week and be accountable to other people really motivated him. It made it a lot harder to say, "Well, I'll just have this one extra helping" or "I'll just put off the gym until tomorrow."

Whatever you choose, good luck at it, and I'm glad skydiving has given you the motivation you need to look seriously at weight loss. Your body will thank you for it!:)
Oh, and sorry we missed you at CrossKeys!:P

Gastric bypass surgery.

Ok, maybe I should be a little more specific- I'm not that fat. Geez. I weigh about 292 at 6'. Although most people say I llok like I weigh much less (the scale doesn't lie). But I am definitley not fat enough for gastric bypass.

The sole intention, is learning to fly.Condition grounded, but determined to try.Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies.Tongue tied and twisted, just an Earth bound misfit.

Gastric bypass is a pretty drastic thing. I would try other solutions before you do that. The key, in my mind, is finding a food plan that works for you and your body chemistry. For me, that meant pretty strict low-carb - no refined sugars (at all), no simple carbs (so rice, pasta, bread were all out), and very little processed food. I dropped 125 lbs in 18 months - I probably averaged over 11 lbs a month for the first few months. PM me if you want more details. You have to look at this as a lifestyle change, not a quick fix.

Note that I'm not criticizing gastric bypass surgery, but if you haven't explored other options, I would highly recommend those first.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Skolls

Skydiving is for me the single most thrilling thing I ever accomplished, even just doing the first tandem skydive.

The reward you would find after accomplishing your weight loss. Is a sense of exhilaration you can barely imagine.

IT IS WORTH IT!!!!!!

Gastric bypass surgery.

Ok, maybe I should be a little more specific- I'm not that fat. Geez. I weigh about 292 at 6'. Although most people say I llok like I weigh much less (the scale doesn't lie). But I am definitley not fat enough for gastric bypass.

Besides, that is a last ditch effort. Best wishes on your weight loss attempts. B|

Oh, and sorry we missed you at CrossKeys!:P***

Sorry I missed you guys too. I'm kicking myself in the ass for that one. Someone mentioned Memorial Day weekend....anything going on, or is it just a busier weekend because of the holiday?

And I tried Weight Watchers, but it's a time thing. I know, excuses, excuses. But I'm a supervisor for Costco. My wife also works there part time in the morning. So I work mostly late hours, and in the morning I have my 18 month old. Mondays and Fridays are clear (my days off, 2 easy days for the gym, but I still have to get there on Wednesdays....

I also have a few friends that have had this done. It might be something to consider is you have been struggling with your wieght for a long time. They don't regret doing it. They say it's the best thing they could have done for themselves.

Also please do not give it up. It is a dream of yours to skydive. Do whatever you need to do to achieve that dream.

I truly believe everyone who has every skydived struggled with one thing or another at one point. Be it "Door Monsters" (that's me), flips, barell rolls, what not.

You just have a little struggle before hand. Just think how excited you will be when you get to do that 1st jump. Just think how much more it will mean to you.
Punky Monkey
You may never get rid of the butterflies, but you can teach them how to fly in formation

Gastric bypass is a pretty drastic thing. I would try other solutions before you do that.

I completely agree. It seems like it is not something that anyone should do unless all other avenues have been explored first. I think that my friends who have had it done, Darcy and Ed (they talk about it on here, so it's ok for me to say their names) feel the same way about it.

Edited: Although I am naturally thin, I am pretty close with my friends that have struggled with these issues. The only reason why I answered at all was to let you know that there are plenty of other skydivers out there who have struggled with similar weight problems.

Gastric bypass is a pretty drastic thing. I would try other solutions before you do that.

I completely agree. It seems like it is not something that anyone should do unless all other avenues have been explored first. I think that my friends who have had it done, Darcy and Ed (they talk about it on here, so it's ok for me to say their names) feel the same way about it.

Yep, Ed and I have talked about it a lot, so we both definitely understand the struggles. I was lucky enough to find something that worked without having to have surgery. Doesn't work for everyone.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Gastric bypass surgery.

Nice. He said he needs to lose 45 pounds, not 145 pounds. :S

Skolls - I know a few ways to drop pounds quickly. None of them are healthy, several of them are illegal. Your best bet is to do what you've been doing/plan to do - eat right and exercise.

Eating right doesn't have to mean denying yourself. Instead of frozen/processed foods go for fresh, whole, unprocessed foods. Allow yourself the occasional treat - if you're craving a Hershey bar, by all means have one!

Go back to the gym as soon as you can. In the meantime increase your activity level any way possible - take a walk every morning or evening (or both), park at the far end of the parking lot instead of as close to the doors as possible, etc.

You may not be down to 250 by August but I doubt it will take much longer than that.

Good luck! Hope to hear about your first jump soon. :)

There is a woman skydiver at our DZ that used to be very heavy - she lost over 100 lbs doing LA Weight Loss (it's sort of like Atkins). If you'd like more information, PM me and I'll give you her name and email address.

I would also recommend Weight Watchers - it works wonders. You set small goals for yourself.

Good Luck!
Jump, Land, Pack, Repeat...

Thanks for the advice and motivation everyone. I guess it comes down to sheer determination on my part. The thing that really sucks, is I was never one for suspense, or having to wait for something. So I guess I'm going to have to learn to be patient, and just eat healthy an work hard at losing weight. And I know the payoff will be well worth it.

Keep at it. I live in NYC and we still have a good number of tandems in September. Also remember, you will have times of rapid weight loss and time where you hit a wall. Stick with it.

You have heard it many times; but, it's true. You need to eat healthier and get exercise. The exercise needs to be on a regular basis. Find the hidden exercise that is out there. With the warm weather, taking your kid out for a walk or to the park is a great hidden exercise. You get to run around with your kid and have fun. Your kid gets quality time with dad, everyone wins. Ride a bicycle on short trips instead of taking the car, stairs not the escalator, etc, etc, etc. Keep your diet realistic. Have a treat once or twice a week. Just keep the treat reasonable. No 6 slices of pizza and 12 beers. And hate to say it; but, limit the alcohol. Tons of wasted calories.
Also get an add for you tandem and put a few of them up at work, in the car and in the house. Remind yourself what the reward is.

Good luck. And if you do lose the weight, try to keep some of the new healthy habits you learned. Even if you gain back some of the weight, you will feel better.

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

Walk. Lots.

If you live within 10km of work, walk there and back once a week. If you don't, take a walk to the cinema rather than driving. Or next time you need to pick up a bottle of wine for dinner, wander along the sidewalk rather than jumping in your car.

Walking is one of the best forms of exercise, and it's great for burning fat too.

For me, home cooking makes a big difference. The food is fresher and generally less greasy. More importantly, it allows you to control your portions. In the US, we are constantly faced with excessive portions and even if we don't finish everything on the plate, the tendency is to overeat to at least some degree.

Keep watching skydivingmovies.com. That should be a good motivation when the going gets tough.

Figure out the triggers that are making you overeat like being bored or stressed out. Most people don't eat because they are hungry, they eat because of emotional reasons. Once you figure that out, you can learn to do something else instead of reaching for more food. Listen to your body, if your stomach isn't starting to growl, you probably don't need to eat anything.

In addition, I'm a big proponent of eating 6 small meals a day. Are you doing that in addition to exercising?

When I first started skydiving, I lost 60 pounds so I know it can be done. The next time you reach for some food, think to yourself what is more imortant to you; that bag of chips or feeling what it's like to freefall through the beautiful blue skies. :)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

first your comment about beeing patient is very good, and right on!

There is NO SECRET way to accomplish your goal, all the "gimmicks" out there will work if you apply there principles and strickly follow them.

Bottom line = you must expend MORE calories then you are consuming

there is really NO way around that fact, and there are hundreds of ways to accomplish it!

check out this forum for great support and information about this discussfitness.com I have an account there and it is a great site tons of information.

side question, what about going straight to AFF, i think they weight restrictions are higher to start AFF here is a thread where a guys says he did AFF at 265... thread

Hey Skolls, do the eat right thing, and the exercise regularly thing, but do one more thing that will help your wait, and remind you of your motivation. Go to your local DZ and VOLUNTEER. There are always a million jobs to be done, you'll be around skydivers, and exercising at the same time. Lawn mowing, packing carpet vacuuming, painting out buildings, they all add up. We operate our event with 150 to 300 volunteers, and if we didn't have them, we wouldn't exist!
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

First let me say that you can skydive at your current weight. It takes gear that most dropzones don't have, but there are DZs out there that can accomodate you. Of course there are a couple that charge even their experienced jumpers a fat fee for every jump. Just ignore those that don't want to help and keep looking.

I personally found that skydiving was motivation enough to lose 80+ pounds when I first started jumping.

I stayed out of the sport for a number of years and put all of the weight + some back on, so when I returned to the sport last year I needed to lose weight. Once again I found that skydiving was the motivation I needed and I've lost 60+ lbs since last summer.

There is not a secret to weight loss. Everyone knows how to lose weight.
YOU PUT IN LESS THAN YOU TAKE OUT!

I have found that for me, weight loss is a state of mind. I have to be motivated and give it conscious thought throughout my day.

Blue Skies

side question, what about going straight to AFF, i think they weight restrictions are higher to start AFF here is a thread where a guys says he did AFF at 265... ***

I looked into that. The DZ that I really want to go to (I have been emailing them for over a month now- they've been very helpful, and extremely friendly) doesn't do a flat AFF progression. They do a Tandem/AFP progression- 2 Tandems, Ground School, a third tandem, and then 7 AFP jumps. I haven't been to the DZ yet (haven't had the time) but I will be going there in the next few weeks to check everything out. While I'm there, I am going to ask alot of questions- I may ask about doing the straight AFP, but again, they don't do it, so.....
And I'm sure I could find a DZ that does it, but this DZ has quite a good reputation (from what I've read and heard) so I'd really like to go with them.

think s/l instead of tandum

I weigh 284 and 6'1"

worked for me

I had to get my own rig main is by flight concepts and is 290 zp
reserve is a strong 300 f111

container is by strong

s/l works for the military it can work for you

every time you land it will get easier to loose weight

get ready to have a FAST fall rate ,I drop at 160mph sooo you will need big or fast instructers

do not get discouraged

diet ,jump, have fun

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com