BillyVance

Giant bear shot in Alaska!!! NSFW

This has been verified at [/url]www.snopes.com[url] though some details are different. In Anchorage they have bears mounted all over the place.. in fact you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one somewhere. :D

+++++++++++++++++++++

This man was out deer hunting with a friend when a large grizzly bear charged them from about 50 yards away. The guy emptied his 7mm Magnum semi-automatic rifle into the bear and it dropped a few feet from him. The big bear was still alive so he reloaded and shot it several times in the head.

The bear was just over one thousand six hundred pounds It stood 12' 6" high at the shoulder, 14' to the top of his head. It's the largest grizzly bear ever recorded in the world.

Of course, the Alaska Fish and Wildlife Commission did not let him keep it as a trophy, but the bear will be stuffed and mounted, and placed on display at the Anchorage airport to remind tourists of the risks involved when in the wild.

Based on the contents of the bears stomach, the Fish and Wildlife Commission established the bear had killed at least two humans in the past 72 hours including a missing hiker.

The US Forest Service, backtracking from where the bear had originated, found the hiker's 38-caliber pistol emptied. Not far from the pistol was the remains of the hiker. The other body has not been found.

Although the hiker fired six shots and managed to hit the grizzly with four shots (the Service ultimately found four 38 caliber slugs along with twelve 7mm slugs inside the bear's dead body), it only wounded the bear and probably angered it immensely.

The bear killed the hiker an estimated two days prior to the bear's own death by the gun of the Forest Service worker.

Think about this:

If you are an average size man; You would be level with the bear's navel when he stood upright. The bear would look you in the eye when it walked on all fours! To give additional perspective, consider that this particular bear, standing on its hind legs, could walk up to an average single story house and look over the roof, or walk up to a two story house and look in the bedroom windows.

Quoted from snopes:

My partner and I ran into the unexpected . . . "BIG ARSE URSUS"! The bear was shot 10 yards away (no zeros missing in that figure my friends) in the head with a .338 Remington Winnie, using 250 grain Nosler handloads, followed up with two shots to the vitals. A very quick clean death.

We were working up a creek, headed for the mountains to hunt blacktail. He was coming down the creek, hunting for the last of the spawning Coho in the creek. We initially spotted him from 40 yds off. As a matter of fact we were glassing the bear over the high brush just behind the bear when we spotted him.

The first two pictures show the hunter with the bear he shot.

The third picture is from a separate incident, different bear, different place, but it was on snopes too. NSFW!!!! Please don’t open if you are squeamish... It gives you an idea of what bears will and can do to you... B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

all pics are true - but the last pic is not related to the bear.

Exactly what I said at the bottom...

Yeah, I knew it wasn't recent, based on the dates shown on snopes. I just hadn't seen them until recently...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I seem to remeber the last pic being form a lion enclosure or something like that. Somebody tried and managed to commit suicide by jumping in the lions den.
It also happend here in Auckland zoo some years ago.

www.myspace.com/durtymac

well, as much as I am against hunting, I wouldn't mind if the entire population of bears of this world were killed if it meant saving even a single human life.

Excuse me? since when are we not part of the circle of life??? that is the way things go..shall we kill off all the animals that destroy other animals??? Hey guess which species would be the first to go? US.

Humans are not the king of anything here. God this attitude frosts me. We are destroying the world with this selfish attitude...>:(
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

If you've ever been close to a bear in the wild, you probably don't need the reminders.

I have one of those "indestructible" water bottles made out of lexan. A bear went rummaging through my (open) pack one night in Yosemite, and pulled the bottle out, then laid it to one side and walked off.

The bottle still has the punctures from the bear's claws on both sides. It's pretty impressive.

The closest I've ever been to a bear in the wild is about 25 feet. That's plenty close enough for me, for the rest of my life--and that was a fairly small bear.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

> well, as much as I am against hunting, I wouldn't mind if the
>entire population of bears of this world were killed if it meant saving
>even a single human life.

By that standars, we should exterminate all e.coli, geese (have killed dozens due to aicraft collisions) sharks, swordfish, bulls, buffalo, dogs, and bees. It would be a pretty lonely world after we offed everything that might kill us.

Personally, I think it's your job to protect yourself against bears and the like. If you don't want to be killed, don't go where bears are, or take the appropriate measures to protect your safety.

Two years ago me and my x were hiking in the mountains that overlook Moab and we walked right up on a really big black bear. The bear never saw us but we sure got out of there quick! It was a really beautiful sight though......we were about 20 feet from it!:)
Two years before that we were rafting the Green river through Canyonlands National Park and we stopped to look for rock art. We found huge mountain lion tracks that were very fresh all over a group of Germans. I tried to tell them a ML had been watching them, but they did not understand. When I should them the tracks and said Panzer......they freaked! I am sure that cat had been watching them for a few days, tracks were everywhere!:)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

I've seen a few bears in the wild, but only from inside my car in the Cades Cove area of the Great Smoky Mountains... They were up in a tree doing God knows what!! :D

But hey, if you happen upon a bear by accident and it threatens you, then do what you have to do. Otherwise leave them alone, unless they're really really big...

I agree though with Tom Aiello... Bears are some of the strongest animals on the planet... A good sized bear will kill you with a simple swipe of its paw. :S

I live right in the middle of Bear country. There are more people killed and injured by moose every year than by black and grizzly bears combined. Ever seen a 2000 pound moose 10 feet tall come kicking its front hooves at you at a rate of 6 times a second? I've run into bears plenty of times. Never had a bad ending...i'm more afraid of being stomped by a moose!

Get "Counter Assault" Bear deterrant. Supernasty red pepper derivative sends 'em into a panic'd frenzy.

Yeah, and make sure that you tape over any edges on the can, so it doesn't hurt so bad when it gets shoved up your a**.... :P
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

If you don't want to be killed, don't go where bears are, or take the appropriate measures to protect your safety.

Woohoo, you and I agree on something. What's your favorite bear protection? Personally I think the .454 is a good round for that.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."