format

MUST keep handle!

Require them to pay for the second one they lose?
If it's a matter of cutting away - handles are not important, but making them partially financially involved might help.
I think when it's our own gear, that's when we realize the value of keeping them.

Cut and Pasted from the incidents forum:

May I suggest that it is less expensive to order a dozen spare main ripcords before the start of the season?

Yes, you may suggest,
as long as you donate
in money or practical solutions.

Well my practical solution would be to convert all your student gear to BOC and abandon main ripcords all together. However if you are insisting on keeping them a few spares with a deposit charged on them to all freefall students should keep costs down.
Are you using a reserve style ripcord (steel with a metal handle) or plastic ones with a pilot chute style handle. These are considerably cheaper.

May I suggest copying the student drogue release on Strong Dual Hawk tandems?

Skydive Snohomish had a similar system on the main ripcords on their old Northern Lite student rigs.

It has about a meter of bungee cord running parallel to the drogue release cable.
The inboard end of the bungee cord is attached with a weak link (two turns of red cotton reserve sealing thread, breaking strength 4.75 pounds or about 2 kilograms). The weak link allows the cable to fall away if it tangles with a deploying canopy.

I have never seen a broken weak link, but have had to replace several frayed bungees.

One should note that some of the historical ripcord deposit prices are way out of line with the current cost of handles. If one is using a D-ring metal handle, the handle itself is $39.50 at ParaGear! That's just for the handle, not a whole ripcord. The DZ can save some money if it has a press to swage together the pin, ball, handle, and cable.

(My DZ has a press built out of angle iron bolted and welded together, plus a cheap automotive hydraulic jack. The dies are then the part of the system that has to be the most carefully engineered. And my DZ is lucky to have a pile of old handles left over from old scrapped rigs.)

Obviously prices come down with quantity purchase ($31.50 for 20+), and one can surely find a cheaper supplier.

Still, it isn't sufficient these days to tell someone in a less rich country outside the US to "charge the students 20 bucks deposit".

Hi Peter,

Just to provide some information:

Metal-Flex Hosing Inc.
1241 E. Erie Avenue
Philadelpia, PA 19124 USA

Phone: 215-535-6868

email: [email protected]

is now making ripcord handles and ripcord pins.

Anyone looking for ripcord parts would be wise to contact them regarding parts. Always nice to have more than one source of materials.

Just for those who might be interested,

JerryBaumchen

Hi Peter. For people who can be interested here is a picture of the press I have designed and made for a friend of mine. It swages both pin and ball of a rip cord. Dies have received a heat treatment. 3 rip cords have been tested sucessfully at the aeronautical department of the National Research Council in Ottawa Canada. At the end we had a destructive testing and never the pin or ball slipped at all. The cable gave up at tension of 800 lbs or more.

Now, coming back to the thread, IMO it's not maybe the best idea to ask somebody to keep his ripcord after pulling the reserve. It gives the student or jumper a extra pressure when he is trying to save his life. Also, there is always a slight possibility to have an entanglement between the rip cord and the lines if the jumper is not stable . You don't ask a student to pay for the reserve repack when he has decided to use it. The student or jumper renting a rig shouldn't pay if he got his rip cord lost because it's part of the deal.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

"...
Now, coming back to the thread, IMO it's not maybe the best idea to ask somebody to keep his ripcord after pulling the reserve. It gives the student or jumper a extra pressure when he is trying to save his life. Also, there is always a slight possibility to have an entanglement between the rip cord and the lines if the jumper is not stable. You don't ask a student to pay for the reserve repack when he has decided to use it. The student or jumper renting a rig shouldn't pay if he got his rip cord lost because it's part of the deal.

"

Agreed!

Students should be taught to pull hard and pull long and continue pulling until they have a reserve overhead!
Teaching students to throw handles away is one way to encourage full pulls.

Or would you prefer to hear the story about one of my students who did a sissified, limp-wristed, half-hearted, girly pull on an S.O.S. handle????

Thank God Saint Francis Xavier Chevrier (FXC) was on duty that day!

Hi Andre,

Is that a single cavity die or does it have dies for both the ripcord & the ball seperately?

Back in the '60's Ron Dionne ( one of your countrymen ) began making dies using a single cavity press. He built them to press the pin on and just used the same die to press the ball on. The end result ( the ball ) looked a little 'different' but they worked ( and probably are still working; I think Al MacDonald uses one of Ron's die sets ).

Here is a photo of the die set the I designed and had made, it uses two cavities. I can easily get to the TSO req'ment of 600 lbs; and I do occasionally get a sample tested by an outside entity just to eliminate any bias as I do have my own ripcord tester.

I find this interesting: At the end we had a destructive testing and never the pin or ball slipped at all. The cable gave up at tension of 800 lbs or more.

In theory the pin is good for 100% of the cable & the ball is good for 80% of the cable. To find the 'real' info on this stuff get out of the ripcord industry and go to the wire rope industry.

All good stuff though,

JerryBaumchen

Hello Jerry, pchapman just asked me the same questions.
I designed my swaging press according a picture seen from Ron Dione's one. When Ron saw it he told me that mine was nicer.
1) since I figured out that the top horizontal bar was going to resist to the flexion (6 tons+) I made sure to make it from 2" thick tool steel. On Ron Dione picture you could see that the top horizontal bar was bent.

2) I use the same set of dies (top and bottom) for both pin and ball. Both dies are identical with a 1/2" long groove very slightly convex since when swaging the squeeze on the cable is more progessive. On destructive testing the cable always seems to break at the very location where it is first squeezed which is a weak point. Having a slightly convex groove avoid partially to have a weak point. Here is pictures of the press top and the rip cord testing device (300 lbs for 3 seconds) I designed and made. It uses the lever principle.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Hi Andre,

On destructive testing the cable always seems to break at the very location where it is first squeezed which is a weak point.

Do you mean at the location of the ripcord pin? This, to me, is a very unusual location for the point of failure. Under theoritical considerations, it should fail at the ball end. But, that is the theory. [:/]

Thanks for the photos. Always nice to find out what other people out there are doing.

My ripcord tester was built by some jumper in Southern California years ago ( I do not remember his name; Bob something I think ). I got it from Ray Ferrell many years ago ( it is same kind as the one that Kelly Farrington of VSE has ). It uses a torque wrench to determine the load(s) on the cable.

Have fun in DeLand, :P

JerryBaumchen

PS) Best part of the internet is the exchange of information. :o