billvon

XM radio

Just got an XM receiver for $89 and got the $9 a month service. It's a really cool little system; gets you 120+ channels of music and news. The news shows have something for everyone, from Fox News to CNN to America Left. It even has full-time traffic coverage for most large cities in the US, which may be a bit of overkill but is great for travelers. It was great fun playing with it on the way to Perris on Saturday.

>Its satelite radio - I've been hopeful to get on for my car. Is it true
>there are no commercials?

60% of the channels no commericals, just occasional blips from a DJ or a plug like "All the best songs from the 80's on XM radio!" Most of the talk radio channels do have commercials.

We have Sirius (all channels have no commercials) and we have quickly become very dependent on it. It's like a drug. Can't go more than a day without it.

Mainly because corporate radio sucks big hairy balls nowadays. Excuse the crass expression, but I can think of no other way to describe the level of suckitude that normal FM radio has reached.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

I have accepted XM radio as my personal savior.B|

I installed mine two weeks ago and I'm kiciking myself for not doing it sooner. Right now, I'm flipping between the 80's channel, the old school rap channel, the punk channel, and the techno/trance channels.

I put over 30K miles a year on my car so I'm quite the stereo fanatic. XM will be an incredible buddy to have along on those long road-trips.

I'll probably check out the comedy channels more in-depth when I have my next road trip. I went ahead and paid for a quarter years service, but I think I'm going to go ahead and prepay the next two years because it isn't coming out of my car.;)

Kris
Head: Alpine CDA-9815 + Alpine TUA020XM Satellite Tuner
Front Components: MB Quart QSD-216
Rear: Rear-fill is the devil!
Subs: Two eDesign audio e12k's, sealed
Amp: Kicker KX700.5 benched at 878 watts

>Total cost of components/installation/activation?

You will minimize cost (and increase usability) if you go with a separate receiver instead of an integrated car system, although it won't look as cool. That way you can take the receiver (about the size of a deck of cards) between cars and into your house if you want. You still need the "kit" of antenna, power adapter etc for each place, but they are only $20 or so.

60% of the channels no commericals,

I'd like to get one now before they have the same commercials as AM/FM radio.

When cable television first came out, there were no commercials, either. Didn't take very long before you had to pay for the service and listen to stupid commercials. Same thing will happen on XM, for sure >:(
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

60% of the channels no commericals,

I'd like to get one now before they have the same commercials as AM/FM radio.

When cable television first came out, there were no commercials, either. Didn't take very long before you had to pay for the service and listen to stupid commercials. Same thing will happen on XM, for sure >:(

Sirius has no commercials at all. Problem solved.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

yep...none on Sirius.

and it's only a few $$ more per month.

www.siriusradio.com

If you're not familiar with Sirius, you obviously haven't been watching CNBC. It's been one of the most traded stocks on the NASDAQ for the past few months.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

I think the increase in sattelite radio activity in the market is due to the speculation that Howard Stern is moving to sattelite. He hasn't made any specific announcements but he does mention moving quite often.

I think it would be great for sattlite readio if he moved over.

If you're not familiar with Sirius, you obviously haven't been watching CNBC.

I don't watch television at all! Haven't watched in four years. Who has time, when there's so much post-whoring to do on dz.com?
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

So which system is the preferred system/one with a better life expectancy (i.e. not going bankrupt tomorrow...)

Both companies are in pretty good shape, each with healthy sales and marketing agreements with various auto makers and component manufacturers. XM has a bit more money I think, but I also think they skew their subscriber numbers a bit.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I was thinking of getting one because they feature(d) the best shows from Real Radio in Orlando. Can any XM user tell me if they're still playing Monsters of the Midday, Jim Philips and Drew Garrabo on (I think) 152?
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

Can any XM user tell me if they're still playing Monsters of the Midday, Jim Philips and Drew Garrabo on (I think) 152?

Monsters are on in the morning now(I think 6 to 10am), Philips is on the normal time(3 to 7pm). In between there is some new thing....John and Jack...Jeff and Jim...something like that... I listened for a few hours one day while driving, and was not at all amused.. Garabo has never been on XM as far as I know.

Mike

I have been waiting for the start up price to drop a little and 89/9$ seems fair. The car units are still a little more expensive though.

How about the talk radio, what shows? G. Gordon Liddy show? Savage Nation? Houston has crap for talk radio.........Well, most all radio in Houston is crap!:|

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

I had been thinking about getting satellite radio for a few weeks. After reading this thread I made up my mind and got it. I stopped and bought the portable Kenwood Sirius tuner last night and did the install myself in about 20 minutes. When I bought the car mounting kit and antenna they had a special where you get the home docking station for free. I can also stream it online so I can listen when I am at work. I haven't even had it for 24 hours and I'm hooked.

I spent $275 for the entire package, including 15 months of service (3 months free for prepaying the first year) No payments for service until July 2005.

LilDebbie--what place is giving that kinda deal?
--------------------------------------------------
Esquilax: A mythical horse with the head of a rabbit, and the body of a rabbit.

I'm almost embarassed to say just because I really hate the store that I got it at....but it was at Car Toys in Kirkland, WA. I'm pretty sure that it is more than just a local deal. They said that the deal was going on until May 1st.