SpeedRacer

Can you identify this snake?

But vipers all have a head that's shaped like a heart or valentine. All the other non-poisionous snakes have a narrow head the same width as the body. So if the head appears to be wider, it's a viper.

I got this picture of a Northern Water Snake off the web. It is not a viper, (not venomous either) but as you can see it also can have a slightly wide, triangular type head. perhaps not quite as wide as a viper, but its easy to see how someone could confuse it with one.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Everyone's just ignoring you :P

Yep.:D
A lot of people on DZ.com just jump in at the end of a thread without reading what happend before.:P

I'm listening.
I need to know more about snakes.
I have 2 phobias & one is: poisonous snakes (not all snakes , just poisonous)
We have coppeheads & Rattlers in the mountains here. The rattlers are big & I have 3 kids= choosey on camp sites.

Which brings up another topic, encountering snakes on the dropzone, or after an out landing. Does everybody know to look OVER a fallen log, or a large rock, to see what's on the other side before stepping over it ? A lot of people who don't look first get bitten that way. We have encountered rattlers at Perris once in the parking lot, a HUGE rattler at Otay underneath a packing table (this was in the old days), and another big rattler at Z-Hills UNDERNEATH A CUTAWAY MAIN. The locals advised us to pick up a cutaway by picking up a riser and dragging the canopy for a few feet before attempting to pick it up. Good thing too because there was a big rattler underneath and boy was it PISSED OFF. One more reason not to jump in sandles...

:S Note to self: don't land out! Even landing in requires looking around. Excellent post, thanks for the heads up.
~skysprite

What makes me suspicious is the shape of the head, which is partly obstructed by the bushes. The head looks like it might have the telltale "heart" shape of a viper head. Of the four poisonous snakes in America, three are vipers; rattlesnakes, cottonmouths and water mocassins. The fourth snake, the Coral Snake, is actually a type of Cobra and does not have a viper head. Coral snakes only live in the deep south, like Florida, and have the red, black & white rings.

I don't know much about snakes except they creep me out...but

Aren't Coral snakes the ones with red and yellow bands together, red and black bands together are king snakes or something harmless? Red and black, friend of Jack, Red and yellow a nasty fellow....does that rhyme mean anything to you folks who live down in snake country?

Which brings up another topic, encountering snakes on the dropzone, or after an out landing. Does everybody know to look OVER a fallen log, or a large rock, to see what's on the other side before stepping over it ? A lot of people who don't look first get bitten that way. We have encountered rattlers at Perris once in the parking lot, a HUGE rattler at Otay underneath a packing table (this was in the old days), and another big rattler at Z-Hills UNDERNEATH A CUTAWAY MAIN. The locals advised us to pick up a cutaway by picking up a riser and dragging the canopy for a few feet before attempting to pick it up. Good thing too because there was a big rattler underneath and boy was it PISSED OFF. One more reason not to jump in sandles...

You remind me of the day I quit jumping bare foot in 1983 or so.....I was down in ZHills for a vacation and we landed a lo-o-ong way south of the old DZ. I was wading through ditches in my bare feet and absolutely shitting my pants, just waiting for something to wriggle under my foot and then bite me.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Aren't Coral snakes the ones with red and yellow bands together, red and black bands together are king snakes or something harmless? Red and black, friend of Jack, Red and yellow a nasty fellow....does that rhyme mean anything to you folks who live down in snake country?

Down here in Florida we have both. Both snakes look very much alike, but the head of the Coral Snake starts with a black ring. I don't remember the whole rhyme, just the "black" and "get back" part. They are very pretty, have small weak fangs that don't penetrate clothing well, and are shy and nocturnal. They're also one of the most deadly neurotoxin producers in this hemisphere.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

Fact - The eastern cottonmouth (water moccasin) does not occur in the state of Maryland.

"Facts" are scientifically proven false quite frequently. Consider....

a) The coelcanth was considered extinct for millions of years, until one was pulled aboard a fishing boat early last century.

b) Almost any species is capable of expanding its range as it evolves.

c) It could have been transported there by a pair of either African or European swallows, dependent on their respective airspeed velocities.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

I think it's a Northern Water Snake - Nerodia sipedon sipedon:). Just doesn't look like a cottonmouth :D

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

My only comment would be to try and get a good look at its eye...

poisonous snakes have a cat-like eye....with a oblong slit of a pupil....

non-poisonous snakes have a human-like round pupil...

if you can clearly identify the eye's shape/features - you should be able to identify the snake more adequately.

A good way to get close to it's head it to use a 1"x6" and put it hard against it's neck (control the head and you control the mouth!)...then you should be able to get close and at least see one eye...2 people would be recommended!!;)

Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Kiwi, RB #926, AFF-I, FAA Snr. Rigger, RN/BSN/Paramedic

Yep, it is not yet a dead snake, and that is the important part.
I agree it certainly looks like a cottonmouth to me, maryland or not. And the aggressive test is quite true, and I don't mean defensively aggressive. These suckers will try to get into your boat aggressive. We see plenty of them in Texas.
In my opinion, unless it is a 6 inch garden snake, it is better dead, so I don't end up regretting my taxonomy classification mistake.
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

Fact - The eastern cottonmouth (water moccasin) does not occur in the state of Maryland.

"Facts" are scientifically proven false quite frequently. Consider....

a) The coelcanth was considered extinct for millions of years, until one was pulled aboard a fishing boat early last century.

b) Almost any species is capable of expanding its range as it evolves.

c) It could have been transported there by a pair of either African or European swallows, dependent on their respective airspeed velocities.

Don

yes but what is your favorite color?:D

I live in Arkansas (insert laughter here). Looks very much like a water moccasin. But Speedracer may be on to another possibility.
Ive delt with snakes my whole life, spending much of my time in the woods as a kid.
Cottonmouth, Copperhead, timber rattler (I think thats the variety here), and the romoured coral stake. All of whick I have killed except for the latter.
Infact, I had a 18" copperhead living under my porch, where we enter/exit the porch. bye-bye snake.

So, I vote for water moccasin. :D:D
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

If you read the websites you find:

1) The Northern Water Snake is one of the most common snakes in Maryland

2) There are no cottonmouths/water moccasins in Maryland, but they're more "famous" due to the fact that they're poisonous. So when people see the similar-looking N. Water Snake, they assume its a water moccasin, because that's the snake that is better known.

3) The N. water snake is kinda fat like a cotton mouth, and also has a very aggressive nature like the cottonmouth. It is not venomous, but its bite can cause a nasty bacterial infection. And from the jpegs I've googled, the N. Water snake also has a slightly triangular head.

so all of you that have seen "cottonmouths" north of southern Virginia may in fact have seen a Northern Water snake. Hope you didn't cut its head off.:P
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------