SpeedRacer

Can you identify this snake?

Looks like a cottonmouth. To verify this, entice him to strike, then peer between the fangs embedded in your forearm.....if his interior looks very white and billowy, you've identified him.

It more than likely won't kill you. :)

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

I've just been googling images, and I don't think its a cottonmouth/water moccasin. They are blacker and fatter.

It looks to me like a Northern Water Snake.

Just found a website about snakes in Maryland:

Myths and Facts About Snakes

Myth - All water snakes are water moccasin's.

Fact - The eastern cottonmouth (water moccasin) does not occur in the state of Maryland. Water moccasins can be found in the lower southeastern portion of Virginia. The most likely water snake you will see in Maryland is the Northern Water Snake - Nerodia sipedon sipedon.

I think I'm probably right. It looks like the images I googled.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Looks like a cottonmouth. To verify this, entice him to strike, then peer between the fangs embedded in your forearm.....if his interior looks very white and billowy, you've identified him.

Don

Lots of harmless watersnakes look like cottonmouths. That's why so many harmless snakes get killed. I believe that a real cottonmouth has a racoon-like stripe behind its eye (along it's jaw?).

I have probably half a dozen water snakes in my back yard. Cool stuff.

Jason
--
--
Jason
--
Some people never go crazy. What truly boring lives they must lead.

Looks like a cottonmouth.

wth are you smoking?

If it's a cottonmouth it will be very aggressive. Shoot on site. Shoot any snake on site. Don't worry about asking questions later - just shoot.
Scars remind us that the past is real

wth are you smoking?

If it's a cottonmouth it will be very aggressive. Shoot on site. Shoot any snake on site. Don't worry about asking questions later - just shoot.

Some harmless water snakes appear to be aggressive(defensive) as well. Not a good indicator.

Let's kill everything we're too stupid or impatient to understand. Eventually, what is left will kill us.

Jason
--
--
Jason
--
Some people never go crazy. What truly boring lives they must lead.

wth are you smoking?

LOL!

O wacking day, o wacking day...

:ph34r:

wth are you smoking?

Some harmless water snakes appear to be aggressive(defensive) as well. Not a good indicator.

Let's kill everything we're too stupid or impatient to understand. Eventually, what is left will kill us.

Jason
--

Wtf?

*jumper looks around*

damn, for a minute there I thought we were in SC...

Down heeler, down.
Scars remind us that the past is real

What makes me suspicious is the shape of the head, which is partly obstructed by the bushes. The head looks like it might have the telltale "heart" shape of a viper head. Of the four poisonous snakes in America, three are vipers; rattlesnakes, cottonmouths and water mocassins. The fourth snake, the Coral Snake, is actually a type of Cobra and does not have a viper head. Coral snakes only live in the deep south, like Florida, and have the red, black & white rings.

But vipers all have a head that's shaped like a heart or valentine. All the other non-poisionous snakes have a narrow head the same width as the body. So if the head appears to be wider, it's a viper. Stay away from it. If you have kids, shoot the thing. Snakes are beautiful they eat rats & God bless 'em, but kids are even more precious (and they eat rats too...).

Which brings up another topic, encountering snakes on the dropzone, or after an out landing. Does everybody know to look OVER a fallen log, or a large rock, to see what's on the other side before stepping over it ? A lot of people who don't look first get bitten that way. We have encountered rattlers at Perris once in the parking lot, a HUGE rattler at Otay underneath a packing table (this was in the old days), and another big rattler at Z-Hills UNDERNEATH A CUTAWAY MAIN. The locals advised us to pick up a cutaway by picking up a riser and dragging the canopy for a few feet before attempting to pick it up. Good thing too because there was a big rattler underneath and boy was it PISSED OFF. One more reason not to jump in sandles...

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

It's a shame you didn't get a better pic of it's head. If the head was of a triangular shape, it's a bad motherfucker, and requires chopping its head off to dispose of it.

Done that a couple times myself... used a shovel too... Just don't want them around my house... I live on a lake...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban