SkydiveNFlorida

The South Beach Diet: Have you tried it?

Hello. I am looking at possibly trying this diet. I have never dieted before, and i'm not excessively overweight, but I would like to be a bit healthier. This is supposed to help you cut bad carbs, get used to a new way of eating, even says it can help you lower triglycerides I think.

After skimming through a copy of the book i've now placed an order for my own set. I am just wondering if anyone on here has tried this diet, and what they thought of it.

thx.
-A

Hello. I am looking at possibly trying this diet. I have never dieted before, and i'm not excessively overweight, but I would like to be a bit healthier. This is supposed to help you cut bad carbs, get used to a new way of eating, even says it can help you lower triglycerides I think.

After skimming through a copy of the book i've now placed an order for my own set. I am just wondering if anyone on here has tried this diet, and what they thought of it.

thx.
-A

Yeah I did that diet for two weeks. Gained 2 pounds. That sucked!

My old roommate did it though and she had really good results.

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

I've tried the south beach diet frozen dinners and they aren't bad. You know, for frozen food that can be cooked in the microwave. ;)

haha! I am the queen of frozen food lately (not the real bad ones, though, the whole foods ones.) I will have to make a trip to Publix to see if they have the SB ones there. :)

-A

You have to have a lifestyle that supports whatever weight and shape you want to be at. If you just go on a diet, when you go back off it because you're at your goal weight, well, your lifestyle won't support that weight.

South Beach diet is one way to get there, but probably only if you eat SB foods all the time. Or if you learn how to eat that way on your own, and maintain the activity level.

How do I know? Ha -- I'll bet I've dieted a LOT more than you :|:ph34r:

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hi, Wendy!

South Beach diet is one way to get there, but probably only if you eat SB foods all the time. Or if you learn how to eat that way on your own, and maintain the activity level.

Well, that's the plan. I'd like to shed a few pounds, but the idea is to be healthier for life. I already eat pretty well, I don't do fast food, I cut trans fats out completely. I need to exercise more for sure, and i'd like to start with this diet as a way to refiine my diet even further. Not for a week or five, but for life.

How do I know? Ha -- I'll bet I've dieted a LOT more than you

Well, considering that i've never dieted, i'd have to believe you there:D

-A

I think most people would do well just to actually bring the exercise (ie, 3-5 days a week of actual sweat) back in their life, and stop worrying about the food. Unless it's grossly bad, the end result will be decently healthy.

It sure beats Fatkins, or having to buy from a single vendor.

I think most people would do well just to actually bring the exercise (ie, 3-5 days a week of actual sweat) back in their life, and stop worrying about the food. Unless it's grossly bad, the end result will be decently healthy.

That's the problem--most of the food that people buy and eat is pretty bad for you. Highly processed junk that has very little nutritional value. People think if the package says "FAT FREE!" then it's good for you. There is a lot of bad and misleading information about food.

Frankly, you have to worry about what you eat...read the labels! I'm on the South Beach Diet and I work out about 3 times a week doing about 35 minutes of cardio and 20 minutes of weights. I'm losing about 1 lb a week, a rate I'm quite satisfied with.

It sure beats Fatkins, or having to buy from a single vendor.

The South Beach Diet is essentially a diabetic's diet developed by a cardiologist to help his severely diseased heart patients developing Type II diabetes. It's a definite lifestyle change: eating lean meats, good fats from nuts and olive oil, whole grains, fresh fruits and lots of veggies. No "simple" and processed carbs like potatoes, white rice, white flour, white sugar, etc. It's also learning how different foods affect your blood sugar levels, which affect your hunger.

The prepared frozen foods marketed under the South Beach name are a new thing...trying to get a piece of the frozen diet foods market, I guess. We haven't even thought about buying or eating those since we have enough time to properly shop for and prepare our meals.

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

[The South Beach Diet is essentially a diabetic's diet developed by a cardiologist to help his severely diseased heart patients developing Type II diabetes. It's a definite lifestyle change: eating lean meats, good fats from nuts and olive oil, whole grains, fresh fruits and lots of veggies. No "simple" and processed carbs like potatoes, white rice, white flour, white sugar, etc. It's also learning how different foods affect your blood sugar levels, which affect your hunger.

But there's nothing wrong with potatoes, rice (hello, Asia!), and moderate amounts of processed foods. The only reason to worry about the glycemic index if you tend to overconsume.

Lean meats, whole grains, and fresh produce is always a good base. But nothings wrong with some good cheese, french fries, whole fat yogurt, etc. Enjoying good tasting food is a gift to man.

I'm running a marathon on Sunday. At the finish they will be serving beer. I intend to find some before then too. We're going to have some fun this weekend.

But there's nothing wrong with potatoes, rice (hello, Asia!), and moderate amounts of processed foods.

Yeah, I'm Thai. My mom has developed Type II diabetes and she has eaten a diet of traditional Thai foods (NOT the stuff you find in your typical restaurant) most of her life. She's also on the South Beach Diet, and she's not on it to lose weight. She's on it to lower her cholesterol, and hopefully reverse the effects of the diabetes and heart disease.

The only reason to worry about the glycemic index if you tend to overconsume.

Overconsumption runs rampant in America. You worry about the glycemic index of foods because certain foods can cause you to overconsume. Ever eaten a large baked potato and feel hungry half an hour later? Or maybe a big bowl of pasta? Why do you think so many Americans are obese? Several factors including the way we eat, the way we sit around, and the way we're not educated properly about foods.

Lean meats, whole grains, and fresh produce is always a good base. But nothings wrong with some good cheese, french fries, whole fat yogurt, etc. Enjoying good tasting food is a gift to man.

Um yeah, we eat good cheeses. We have the occasional frites, good beer and a fattening dessert every now and then, too. And pretty much all the foods we've had on the diet taste fantastic. You just have to know which foods to cook and how to cook them. I wonder if you should learn a little more about the diet before you criticize it. :P

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

Why do you think so many Americans are obese?

Well, we wait several minutes for someone to pull out of a parking spot right next to the store when we could easily go to the empty back area and walk an extra 50 yards.

Our kids are becoming great virtual athletes courtest of EA Sports.

I wonder if you should learn a little more about the diet before you criticize it. :P

I'm well aware of it, and will continue to be critical of any diet plan that categorically removes food items like potatoes and rice. Or is on the best seller's table at the bookstore.

The theory behind diet and exercise is trivial. Execution is harder, due to work, injury, time available. It's not made any easier by these paperbacks.

I'm well aware of it, and will continue to be critical of any diet plan that categorically removes food items like potatoes and rice. Or is on the best seller's table at the bookstore.

It doesn't categorically exclude potatoes and rice. It recommends sweet potatoes and brown rice over white potatoes and white rice. You can have the occasional white potato and cup of white rice if you really want, but you just have to be aware of how it affects your overall diet.

Have you actually read the book?

_Pm
__

The South Beach Diet is a great way to get healthy.

Sticking to the diet will first lower your cholesterol, then help fight any signs of adult onset diabetes, and lastly it will help you lose weight.

If you were to take the recommendations of most nutritionists, package it up into a a book - you'd have the South Beach Diet. It teaches a new lifestyle of avoiding overly refined sugars and grains, teaching us to eat more veggies, whole grains, lean meats and unsaturated fats.

It is exceedingly difficult to find something wrong with it.

I don't know anything about the frozen dinners. My version of the book actually ridicules the concept of frozen dinners. When my version was printed the author was against them. In the book he teaches that people take responsibility for what they eat, preparing them with with fresh ingredients from natural sources. I don't see how frozen dinners fit that mould. I don't know if they've changed any of this in more recent versions.... I hope not.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

The theory behind diet and exercise is trivial. Execution is harder, due to work, injury, time available. It's not made any easier by these paperbacks.

It's clear that you don't know much about it.

The South Beach Diet is designed to reduce heart disease, and the weight loss is really just a side effect. I don't care how much you exercise, if you eat the typical american diet you will have a probelm with heart disease unless somthing else gets to you first.

The science behind saturated fat and refined sugars is simple. Avoiding the excesses of the American diet will improve your health, no matter how much you exercise.

I recommend the hardcover.

_Am
__

Why do you think so many Americans are obese?

Well, we wait several minutes for someone to pull out of a parking spot right next to the store when we could easily go to the empty back area and walk an extra 50 yards.

Our kids are becoming great virtual athletes courtest of EA Sports.

I wonder if you should learn a little more about the diet before you criticize it. :P

You know, everyone panning controlled-carb diets says the same things:

"Oh, it cuts out breads and starches - it's a junk diet"

Bullshit - there's nothing wrong with cutting out complex carbs (breads, pasta, potatoes) and getting your carbs from simple carb sources (veggies, salad).
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I read the book while I was on Atkins, and once I had been on Atkins several months I transitioned to SBD. It has been a pretty good maintenance diet, but I have gained some weight back.

The first couple of weeks of SBD are pretty much the same as the induction phase of Atkins.

Brent

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

Bullshit - there's nothing wrong with cutting out complex carbs (breads, pasta, potatoes) and getting your carbs from simple carb sources (veggies, salad).

I agree, but I think you've got it backwards.

Breads, pastas, and potatoes are simple carbs - since they're usually made from refined flours which end up being chemically very similar to table sugar.

Vegies, fruit, and whole grains are usually complex carbs, full of vitamins, fiber, and protein.

_Am
__