BobVZ

Re-activating a parachute?

Newbie here. Question: Is it possible to safely re-activate a de-activated parachute which has had the rigging lines cut at the canopy? I've got an opportunity to buy a number of French military round canopy chutes(complete). Not being an expert in parachutes, I thought I'd consult some. I'm unsure whether the lines can be re-attached or if these are just collectors items.

Thanks, Bob

They're collector's items. Also, aside from the fact that (old?) military rounds are not something most people would even want to jump when the canopies are in good condition, the lines got cut for a reason. At best they were in good condition and surplus, at worst they were unjumpable for some reason.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

You have to determine if they are made of TWILL or RIPSTOP fabric. TWILL is extremely porous and shouldn't be jumped again. You also have to see if the lines are attached to the lower lateral band with tab or if they have continuous lines. It's always possible to refurbish old round canopies but it has to be made by a master rigger if you want to jump them. You are better to try and land them in 4-5 feet of fresh snow if you see what I mean. Ask first to your local instructors and riggers.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Many thanks for the replies! I thought as much. My intent was to get a chute that would serve as an emergency escape device from high places. These chutes come complete with static line, so you could attach it to something solid and dive out. It sounds like I would be better off buying a good used chute and getting some training.

I'm think'in a base canopy would probably be an idea.

After 9/11 there was a company trying to market a static line type base canopy for wuffos on the top floor. Somehow I can't imagine someone with basically no training being able to pull that one off ;)

-Michael

I'm think'in a base canopy would probably be an idea.

After 9/11 there was a company trying to market a static line type base canopy for wuffos on the top floor. Somehow I can't imagine someone with basically no training being able to pull that one off ;)

-Michael

Actually, you are wrong.
The few companies that emerged after 9/11 either had converted rounds, or a Rogallo type wing. Neither one was a BASE Specific canopy, (nor was either one a square). One such company was spearheaded by Basic Research (now Apex BASE)

Question. Do you guys think ti'd be possible to jump off a really tall building, like the wtc, with some one holdin on too ya (bear hug), then deploy your reserve.....and both of you make it to ground level somewhat in one peice?

Not only possible. It's probable both would make it to the ground, each as one piece. Not only that, the average G force would be the same for both. Even if they didn't arrive at the same time.

Mark

If caught in a high rise building on fire, wouldn't you like to have a last chance to stay alife. Training or not, round parachute or whatever, a last chance is a last chance. On 9/11 people were jumping from window without any parachute. I would rather have seen them jumping with a parachute even if they had no training and even if the streets are full of electrical wires. Do you think the bomber crew had a lot of training during the WWII. However thousands of them save their life...with a round parachute!
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

If caught in a high rise building on fire, wouldn't you like to have a last chance to stay alife. Training or not, round parachute or whatever, a last chance is a last chance. On 9/11 people were jumping from window without any parachute. I would rather have seen them jumping with a parachute even if they had no training and even if the streets are full of electrical wires. Do you think the bomber crew had a lot of training during the WWII. However thousands of them save their life...with a round parachute!

Very good point!
Desperate times call for desperate measures!

Many thanks for the replies! I thought as much. My intent was to get a chute that would serve as an emergency escape device from high places. These chutes come complete with static line, so you could attach it to something solid and dive out. It sounds like I would be better off buying a good used chute and getting some training.

High-Rise Emergency Rescue System

Video: http://escapeline.com/media/inside.wmv
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I was thinking base as in B is a building, not one of the known base manufacturers, althought I didn't know that apex came from one such company. I just think it's marketing a product of minimal use and questionable effectiveness.

-Michael

your reply doesn't make sense to me. Can you clarify what you mean ?

I agree 100%.

but to play devils advocate - what happens when executives start jumping out of highrise windows with static lines wrapped around their legs or clipped onto their belt buckles instead of waiting for firemen to get them when the situation DOES NOT call for such emergency actions ?

I agree 100%.

but to play devils advocate - what happens when executives start jumping out of highrise windows with static lines wrapped around their legs or clipped onto their belt buckles instead of waiting for firemen to get them when the situation DOES NOT call for such emergency actions ?

Easy-They sue the living shit out of the people who made the system, the people who designed the system, the company that printed the instructions that specifially said "USE ONLY IF THERE IS NO OTHER ALTERNATIVE", the "executive toy store" that sold them the system, the shipping company that delivered the system, the company that made the box it came in, the company that made the fabric the system was made out of, and anybody else they can think of.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Question. Do you guys think ti'd be possible to jump off a really tall building, like the wtc, with some one holdin on too ya (bear hug), then deploy your reserve.....and both of you make it to ground level somewhat in one peice?

Not only possible. It's probable both would make it to the ground, each as one piece. Not only that, the average G force would be the same for both. Even if they didn't arrive at the same time.

Mark

Unless they're a bit excited and don't stay level until after the parachute opens, have a 180, fly back into the building, and the other guy falls off after the first object strike. Or they have the object strike and instead of stalling and flying backwards they slide down it until they both die.

Haveing experienced bad openings as Sluggo on Mr. Bill jumps and watched friends have 180 openings on BASE jumps after getting too excited and having a shoulder low on deployment I wouldn't give people a 1in 2 chance of survival on a Mr. Bill building jump without practice.

It might work though. People sometimes pull off slider down Mr. Bill jumps.

For untrained individuals, a static line deployed round parachute for each person would be the tool of choice. It'll be more likely to bounce off the building if you screw up.

For people with experience BASE jumping and subterminal tracking (for using a slider), a large vented square parachute with no slider or mesh slider (maybe 1000' so you can get some separation) would be the right choice since it'll be more likely to land you without injury. Heading control is more iffy on short delays with a slider - with an object behind you there's a wonky area in there where you want either a longer delay with the slider or shorter delay without.

your reply doesn't make sense to me. Can you clarify what you mean ?

Just a bad choice of words. I called the canopy for getting off the top floor a base canopy, you said it's not a BASE canopy and I was trying to say well they sell it for jumping from a building and that's why I called it base.

It's not really a big deal since I did a crappy job of communicating what I was really thinking. Someone else pointed it out better.

Sure, if you're in the situation with a burning building and no chance of rescue then any parachute, even a re-activated T-10 would be better than nothing, but it's selling an unlikely solution to an unlikely problem. Basing the sale on peoples' fears and is (as someone above said) more likely to get someone to "use" the not so likely to work solution before it is of last resort.

-Michael

Has anyone ever wondered why they don’t just fly helicopters to the roof and pick up all these people?

I think the best canopy for this type of suicide would be a modified cross-form.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Has anyone ever wondered why they don’t just fly helicopters to the roof and pick up all these people?

Massive thermals? Visibility? Fire?

Probably the same reason that these building escape systems won't work too well when the building is actually on fire.

- Dan G

Massive thermals? Visibility? Fire?

Probably the same reason that these building escape systems won't work too well when the building is actually on fire.

Plus, you can fit 4 passengers in a Jet Ranger, if they aren't too big, and there isn't a full load of fuel. Maybe 7 or 8 in an Augusta. The only ones that can hold a lot are the military. How many trips would it take to evauate the building, and how ugly would it get on the roof with the people left behind??
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo