sid

Awesome Tandem Student

On Saturday we took a lady on a tandem skydive, that reminded me why I love this job so much! (With her physician's approval) we took Paula on a skydive that was so much fun it will never fade from my memory.

Paula has MS, she has a trach, a catheter, an ostomy and a heart stint. She has practically no movement in her legs, is pretty much confined to her chair most of the time and had the worst case of baseball hat hair I'd ever seen :P (had to put that in there Paula).

She also has the most infectious smile, a kick-ass sense of humor and the ability to take (and give back) the shit that we routinely and good naturedly give out.

Brett Bowers was the TM, Dale Harris was the videographer, Chris Cowden assisted in getting Paula's legs out of the plane and I tagged along because she was so much fucking fun to be in the plane with!

The skydive went incredibly well, Paula had a blast, and the landing (although not elegant) was functional. After they landed I ran over to cut the duct tape holding her legs together (for which she thanked me profusely) and then her ONLY concern was whether she had hurt Brett's "Orchestras" on landing (a bit of cockney rhyming slang there).

Do you have any idea how easy it would be for most of us to blame God and the World for that kind of medical condition and sit depressed, eating Fig Newtons all day? This woman is a living example to us all to live every fucking day like it's our last and for heaven's sake people ENJOY YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!

Next time you have any kind of a "drama day" think of this gutsy woman and just shut up!!!!! :P

Way to go Paula, nice job Brett, Dale and Chris....... it's an honor working with y'all
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

And it is a pleasure working with you.

Paula is such an inspiration. She is a woman who truly has every right to be miserable and she is instead one of the happiest, most positive people I have met. Pretty amazing.

It is such a great thing to be able to share our sport with people like her.

And it is a pleasure working with you.

Oh Shit - I put your name on there too didn't I! Just a typo......... ;)
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

I love stories like this, too, so I'm going to put in a shameless plug for Chicagoland Skydiving Center's Skydiving for MS Boogie - June 25th, 2005. Come join us if you can! :)
More information at the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Illinois Chapter web page:

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/ild/event/event_detail.asp?e=456

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

That's cool. Glad to see you all could accomodate a challenging passenger; that is such a dream of mine to be able to do. :)
And if, by some stroke of fate, I ever became that passenger, then thank God for people that would go the extra mile.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Too cool! You guys rock.

Congrats to Paula - is she an honorary Badfish now?

Lance

Ya know - that's a good idea, think I may russle her up a T-Shirt!
Pete Draper,

I just got back to the dz and there was a really nice (but REALLY long) message on the machine from Paula. We feel the same way about you girlie. She also emailed me the attached pics from Dale's roll. They are a little (okay a lot) better quality than the vidcaps (sorry about the bunny ears Brett :S )
Pete Draper,

That is so cool! I love reading posts that are so positive. Makes me feel really good after a shitty day at work. Paula sounds like an awesome person, more power to her, overcoming her handicap and doing something she's always wanted to do. I have a feeling she's gonna be coming back for more :)

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

Hey Sid - very cool, indeed.
Just a thought - I know SD Dallas takes a lot of wheelchair bound people (for various reasons) on tandems. They have a cool little thing they use for binding the legs to make getting out of the plane, the skydive, and the landing very easy. Seems better than duct tape. Might be worth looking at. I'm not sure the specifics of it and don't want to say something wrong, but it was very cool and made the landing so smooth and easy.

GREAT JOB Paula!

-------------------------
"If you've never jumped out of a plane, the best way I can describe it is it feels as if you've just jumped out of a freakin' plane."
David Whitley (Orlando Sentinel)

at Skydive Dallas, we've got an apparatus that Lee Hardesty (my partner in our loft) fabricated that holds paraplegics legs in place and has the ability to raise them into a sitting type position prior to landing, if anyone's interested, we can fabricate these harnesses for anyone who needs one, I'll talk to my partner and see what we could sell them for if there is really any interest in them-- this really was a necessity is the mother of invention type device, we'd never intended to actually market it --- our email is [email protected] if anyone has any questions
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com
What's YOUR Zombie Plan?