f1freak

your favorite memories in skydiving.....

One of my first, I think i had @ 30 or 40 jumps and we did a horny gorilla..... I was nervous just being in the air with 3 other people.....
At the end of the dive my friend grabbed on to me and just wouldnt let me go.... I was freakin out....
I wanted to pull.... He let me go with plenty of time and all was good, but the best part was when i read what he put in my logbook.... He had two big eyeball's and that was it..... He said he'd never forget how big my eyes got.....
HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

I first started jumping 10-11 years ago in Czechloslovakia. I was lucky enough to attend the first boogie that Pete Marsden did at Karlovy Vary.

One of the guys that I met at the boogie was Uli. Hilarious guy, always geeking someone in the skydive, then, on final, passing over the packing mats and throwing down a rubber chicken. If it hit you, you owed him a beer.

So, here's the situation: It's my birthday, my 20th total jump, and the last jump I'm going to be able to afford to make at the boogie. Uli comes up to me and says "C'mon over here and lets dirt dive our jump".

I'm a bit confused and ask "OUR jump?" He grins and says "Yes, you, me and **** are going to do a no-touch 3 way". So we dirt dive it and get in the Lett 410.

**A little info here - I'd never done an RW jump before, all my others were S/L and solos except for an AFF eval Pete had me do before he'd let me jump the boogie. I'd never done any freefall maneuvers, nothing - complete newb***

Back to the story - we get clustered up in the door and the 3rd guy falls out! I dive out after him and close the gap... of course, I had no experience and overshoot. I ended up about 100 feet below him and couldn't get back up, as hard as I tried.

Uli checks in with him, comes down to me and geeks me for a few seconds, then goes back up to him. He comes back down to me, geeks me again, then signals breakoff. I track out (more beer), pull and fly back to the LZ.

We sat down with a beer after packing up, and the DZO comes up and hands me my Czech "A" license. Everyone in the bar started cheering. Uli and I made plans to meet at Karlovy Vary the next spring so he could start coaching me.

It was a day I'll never forget..... Uli was killed that winter in a car accident - I never got the chance to jump with him again.

Blue skies, Uli.... fly free my brother.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

One that really stands out was going to the mardi gras boogie in moss point a couple years ago....
That was the first time i met a bunch of people from dz.com :)That whole trip was an adventure....
From not having a ride from the airport to sleeping in a slightly leaky camper, something about a truck stuck in the mud... :o, to meeting some one who would change my life even giving her my sleeping bag for her COLD otter ride back to florida....:)in fact i did a video grab from one of my jumps and it's now a tatoo on my leg....:)It was a blast
I really hope they can stay up and running...
HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

The 6 or 7 jumps we did in Raeford trying to set the DZ.com record.....jumping with 16 others was fun (and scary), considering I'd never done bigger than a 4-way before that. Spending 2 days trying to stay with Kris in freefall is something I'll never forget. B|

The lawn dart with Mouth and Pyke at Monroe was pretty memorable also. :)

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

It was my 800th jump....my Dad took the ride and I did a Hop n Pop....

My Dad was a Nam chopper pilot with 10,000 hours.

He died 3 weeks later from cancer.

But just to remember his smile from the ride.......

Well, hell that goes a long ways........

Don't go away mad....just go away!

The 6 or 7 jumps we did in Raeford trying to set the DZ.com record.....jumping with 16 others was fun (and scary), considering I'd never done bigger than a 4-way before that. Spending 2 days trying to stay with Kris in freefall is something I'll never forget. B|

I definitely remember that, as you're the only person I've jumped with that, when flying on my belly, I had to actually put in more arch when you docked.:ph34r:

For me, that Raeford trip definitely stands out. Good times with good friend.

My other fave memory is the first time I flew a wingsuit. I love the nylon crack.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

It's so difficult to pick a favorite, there are so many jumps, so many sunsets, the clouds, the way how your soul is naked in the sky out there for the whole world to see.

God...I've had jumps where we pull at altitude on sunset and just play in the heavens...with the plane playing with us in the sky.

I think out of all my jumps, the best was the day I got my wings, I just received my private pilot's license. Which happened to be the anniverssary of my father's death, who was a pilot. Out of all the years that I was a jumper, whenever my dad's anniverssary came up I was weathered out or uncurrent...and never jumped. But this day, was the 10 year anniverssary and my brother called me on my cell from Perris and told me to hurry he was getting on the next load.

Driving and crying with every emotion possible I finally got to Perris and did a two way with my brother out of Papa Victor. The plane my father was in was Papa Victor.

As fate had it I was meant to jump that day with my brother...under canopy I yelled "I love you Dad" and side by side we both landed. The otter did a flyby in memory and then we toasted some beers.

What a day...

My favorite memory still was my "farewell" jump at MileHi Skydiving in Longmont, Colorado before making my roadtrip down south.

It was the sunset load. Mike Pintamo who was not only an AFFI but also a great friend and I did a kneelock, sitfly exit. At about 7K, he waved goodbye, blew me a kiss and pointed at the sun setting over the mountains. It was the most amazing beautiful sight. For some reason, I can't think of that jump without tears.

But to add a little humor to the memory...they still email and ask how my puppy "Kozmo" is doing. He was such a great dz rat and everyone loved to play frisbee with him.:)

I have to agree the trip to Raeford was a total blast. TThack knows how to make the most fun of jumping. You guys were the greatest that weekend. I couldn't tell you when I've laughed so hard in my life. Meeting so many wonderfullly amazing cool friends and staying close with so many of them is really an added bonus to all the fun jumps.

BTW, Don, I still love to do lawn darts.

HUM, maybe we need to plan on doing it again sometime soon?! Road trip to Raeford?

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

I'm new... so not many memories to choose from yet:

So far my favorite memory is from Sunday when I did my first unassisted exit and ended up doing a couple unintentional barrel rolls. I got a bit discouraged and almost had myself thinking it was impossible due to my typical overanalysis of a situation, then went back up and nailed it on the next jump :)

Without question, my favorite jump was taking my daughter on a tandem (a couple of pre-jump video grabs attached, they're all I have on this machine).

Outside of that jump, there's the jump that "set the hook", when I had 50ish jumps and finally realized I could control myself on all 3 axes, flying forward, "up", and side-sliding all at the same time. My one and only balloon jump (a bandit) sticks out as pretty memorable, as does my first sunset "cross-country" with 50 some-odd other people at Lost Prairie. Hybrids with "famous folk" and landing on the beach in San Carlos was pretty awesome, as were a couple of my night jumps, a 3-stack in Lodi with friends, my first 8-stack, a dragplane, a couple 40-ways, and many, many others now that I think about it.

Really though, I guess what I like the most when sorting through my memories is the number of times I've found myself laughing in freefall, under canopy, or on the ground with friends. I guess my second favorite memory would be just a mishmash of many memories that include the friends I've made in skydiving and the fun times we've shared.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I'm new... so not many memories to choose from yet:

So far my favorite memory is from Sunday when I did my first unassisted exit and ended up doing a couple unintentional barrel rolls. I got a bit discouraged and almost had myself thinking it was impossible due to my typical overanalysis of a situation, then went back up and nailed it on the next jump

That my friend is what it's all about.....;)
HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

It's so difficult to pick a favorite, there are so many jumps, so many sunsets, the clouds, the way how your soul is naked in the sky out there for the whole world to see.

God...I've had jumps where we pull at altitude on sunset and just play in the heavens...with the plane playing with us in the sky.

I think out of all my jumps, the best was the day I got my wings, I just received my private pilot's license. Which happened to be the anniverssary of my father's death, who was a pilot. Out of all the years that I was a jumper, whenever my dad's anniverssary came up I was weathered out or uncurrent...and never jumped. But this day, was the 10 year anniverssary and my brother called me on my cell from Perris and told me to hurry he was getting on the next load.

Driving and crying with every emotion possible I finally got to Perris and did a two way with my brother out of Papa Victor. The plane my father was in was Papa Victor.

As fate had it I was meant to jump that day with my brother...under canopy I yelled "I love you Dad" and side by side we both landed. The otter did a flyby in memory and then we toasted some beers.

What a day...

Wow I am getting teared up after reading that. That is one that will stay in your heart forever.

Mine favorite is pretty lame in comparison.
My very first five way round was the best jump ever! It was planned last minute and I was instructed just to hold heading and fly stable and the four people came out of the sky and docked on me. We didn't turn points we just flew and geeked each other and enjoyed the ride! After that dive the people that were involved sit in my hero book.:P
Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!