Cari

Getting my first altimeter

Sooo...my mom said that she wants to get me an altimeter for Christmas (well, she said, "one of those thingies that tells how high you are when you jump out of planes," but I figured out her code!) and I've been looking at reviews online, but figured I would ask here too. I don't need anything spectacular, but I'd like to get something nice, preferably wrist mounted instead of the hand-mounted ones that I've been using for my student jumps. I was looking at the Suunto ones at the DZ and reading a few reviews online. Are there any ones that anyone would specifically suggest?

Any help would be appreciated.

This is what I wear. Mine is red but you choose the colour you like best.

http://www.alti-2.com/sport/galaxy/index.php

I own a Neptune (great device too) and it lives in my helmet logging data and acting as an audible but for my primary device on my wrist, I like a mechanical altimeter that doesn't need batteries.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Ooohhh that would be perfect! I wanted to avoid getting that kind of altimeter because it's huge compared to my hand and I can feel it moving constantly even with the finger loop around 3 fingers at a time and the wrist strap tightened. It really doesn't cause any issues other than the annoyance factor. That wristwrap would completely eliminate that problem. Thanks!

Ooohhh that would be perfect! I wanted to avoid getting that kind of altimeter because it's huge compared to my hand and I can feel it moving constantly even with the finger loop around 3 fingers at a time and the wrist strap tightened. It really doesn't cause any issues other than the annoyance factor. That wristwrap would completely eliminate that problem. Thanks!

I'd recommend trying one on if you can -- maybe someone at the dropzone has one you can look at. I've found that with smaller jumpers (myself and some of my students) the wrist mount sometimes move around even more. Depends on the altimeter and the way your arm is shaped I think. Maybe it's not that they move more, but that if it moves on the back of your hand you can still see it, whereas if it rotates around your wrist you can't.

I agree with what Allison said. As someone with small hands (and therefore wrists), I found the wrist strap was much less secure than having a mount with a finger loop. The point Andy made about the other mount and gloves is also a good one to consider, if you jump somewhere besides Florida or Hawaii.

As for type of altimeter, you're not getting a lot of responses because this question has been gone over before a number of times, so you can search and get more info.

I'd also recommend the Altimaster Galaxy, because it's a workhorse that you'll be able to hang onto it/use forever. That was my first altimeter - I've since upgraded to a Neptune (digital altimeter), but when its batteries died the other day when I was on a 5 minute call, I just pulled out my Galaxy and headed to the mock-up. It's nice like that.

(Also, FYI, the Suunto's display is a little small, so I wouldn't recommend it for a low-time jumper).
Signatures are the new black.

I like my first alti, I have smallish hand too. I got a Barigo because it is very lightweight and I then got an elastic handstrap for it which I still like the best of all mounts. Don't know what these are called but it is 2 straps of elastic which form a V over your palm, nothing on the wrist and nothing on the fingers and it stays PUT.
Don't like anything with a ring around my finger and I can't use wristmounts when wingsuiting and cameraflying with big wings. I still need to find a way to make me a handmount like that for my neptune though so I can get rid of the normal hand mount with the o-ring [:/]

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I really like the Viso and think it has the best price-value but generally students are adviced to stick with a mechanical alti.

I second the Viso, like it a lot, couldn't stand the mechanical alti's

Sure! And don't forget to take you Polaroid sun-glasses for jumping.B|

Tell her you want a brand new Alti-track and see how much she REALLY loves you.:D

Haha....She went with me to the DZ to check some out and to ask questions and see which one FELT right on me. I really liked the Alti-track and the ability to keep track of my jumps. She thought it was the nicest too. Looks like I'll be getting it! My mommy loves me....and my dad could beat up your dad. :P

Cari, have a look at Paragear equipment on line catalog. You will have plenty of choice. You can also check with other parachute equipment providers like Aerostore, Square one, Skykat...etc, they have them all. An altimeter is essential but having a beeper (audible altimeter) in your helmet is very efficient.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Tell her you want a brand new Alti-track and see how much she REALLY loves you.:D

Haha....She went with me to the DZ to check some out and to ask questions and see which one FELT right on me. I really liked the Alti-track and the ability to keep track of my jumps. She thought it was the nicest too. Looks like I'll be getting it! My mommy loves me....and my dad could beat up your dad. :P

You would love the Alti-Track. Don't forget to ask Momma for the Jump-Track software that goes with it! :)
Jeanne
Blue Skies, better days, more beer - Oh the humanity - Peace be with you my friend

DON'T TASE ME BRO