highfly

Badass keyboard.

It’s in the initial stage of production.

We hope it will be released in 2006.

It will cost less than a good mobile phone.

It will be real.

It will be OS-independent (at least it’s going to be able to work in some default state with any OS).

It will support any language or layout.

Moscow is the capital of Russia.

Each key could be programmed to produce any sequence.

It will be an open-source keyboard, SDK will be available.

Some day it will be split (and made “ergonomic”).

It will most likely use the OLED technology (e-paper is sooo slow).

Our studio is located two blocks from the Kremlin.

It will feature a key-saver.

Keys could be animated when needed.

It has a numeric keypad because we love it.

There’s no snow in Moscow in summer.

It will be available worldwide (why not?)

OEM is possible (why not?)

Please see:
http://www.zboard.com/us/products/products_detail_ltdEditionGameKeysets.htm

and

http://webstore.ideazon.com/dept.asp?dept_id=03

Already in stores, and has seen positive reviews. Just google "zboard reviews"

Check this out.
What a badass keyboard.
Looks like Apple shouldve designed it.
http://www.artlebedev.com/portfolio/optimus/

This is very impressive. Each keycap is a video display, which means 104 tiny video displays on a keyboard! It's certainly doable now with today's technology and very impressive that a prototype has already been developed. (The T3 photos look genuine to me, and not photoshopped.)

I would be surprised if they priced this keyboard less than $500 though. Replaceable keycaps is an absolute must, since keycaps are bound to break and wear out. Fortunately, the same keycap could be reused for any key, since it doesn't matter where the keycap is inserted. Mass-manufacture of tiny screens could dramatically drive down the cost of a keycap to maybe a few dollars each. While OLED is very expensive in big screens, tiny OLED screens are gradually becoming very cheap to make (especially if they are using a printing process to manufacture the screens). It wouldn't be too surprising, since tiny low-rez color screens are falling to just a few dollars factory cost in some cases. It's not outside the realm of possibility, but I'd think 2007 would be more realistic from a cost perspective, since prices need to be ramped up quite a bit for Western markets.

Factory cost for keycaps with displays would have to be something like $1-2 per keycap (factory cost, not retail cost), to still be profitable for North America market at $500 per keyboard (retail cost). This would be a remarkable achievement in reduction of prices for color displays. Small low-resolution monochrome LCD displays have already reached that point, when mass-manufactured. (Example: Free digital wristwatches inside cereal boxes) It's only a matter of time before color OLED displays are cheaply manufactured at the same prices. The trend is towards cheap disposable-league displays.

Replaceable keycaps would be essential though, as I am a fast typer. Pop out a defective keycap, and pop in a replacement.

you actually think that even comes close to the new hotness standard of keyboards?!?!?!:|

The new hotness standards of keyboards?? Huh?? Which keyboard sets the standard? The one in the original post looks cool, but it is vaporware at the moment.

Most other keyboards are plain, wireless, wired, or junk. There isn't too much exciting in the way of keyboards - some will have an extra option or two involved but the software that runs with it is usually bloated, buggy, and often clunky in usage (and don't forget the occasional memory leak).

Personally, I have the Saitek Gaming Keyboard after testing out eight or nine variations of keyboards in the last 5 months. My backup keyboard is a MS PS2 natural keyboard that I use to access my bios since USB is not loaded upon startup.

I liked the Zboard - it worked well. However I couldn't justify the cost. If this keyboard ever came out I would try it out but doubt I would purchase it in the first generation.