fireflytx

What would you do if you had a cat that peed in places she shouldn't

To some of us, pets are like kids!!!

Relax dude, it's a joke! I had a cat living with me for years (ex-girlfriend's). I'm a big time dog lover, and if the story were about a dog, I'd be joking about that too! Key word: joke!

I joke about putting barb wire in my yard to keep the kids out... People with kids don't freak out, because they know I want kids someday, and I'm just kidding.

So chill out with the smart remarks.

Yes, this will now be the new, Politically Correct Bonfire! Nobody is allowed to say anything that may offend others! ;)

Jeff
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

But what happens if you spray it on the cat?:ph34r:

Well, they make plastic nail covers for cats, a friend of mine bought them for his carpet clawing kitty. I helped him put them on, and it says to make sure they don't lick at them and whatnot for 5 minutes after you put them on so the glue can dry. He sprayed her paws with the spray stuff... It turns out a cat's cleaning instinct is stronger than it's instinct to not put horribly disgusting stuff on their tongue... she licked away with an absolutely revolted look on her face and eyes all scrunched up until the spray wasn't there anymore. She didn't come around us for almost a week. She was Pissed.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

Once the odor is there, the cat will keep going back to it. The cat can smell it even if you can't. You need special products to get rid of it.

Exactly. I had the same problem with a cat once. It started when I brought another cat into the house who my cat didn't like sharing a litterbox with. Once he'd started going in inappropriate places, he kept returning to them. Sprays didn't work.

What I did was found him a new home. He had no such problems there because he didn't have the scents/memory to go to the wrong places. In my opinion, this is a MUCH better option than euthanasia.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Had to find him another home.......could not fix it

Didn't it just start peeing in the new owners house?

Hey, wait a minute... this could be the perfect house warming gift to my ex-girlfriend and her fiance! :D

Jeff
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

How old is she? I would hate to think you would put down a younger cat cause she pees in the wrong spot. :(

i used to hate cats till I got my Jake. He is a dog in a cats body. Pisses my negihbors off when I go over to visit. He follows me around the Ghetto and walk on the roofs of the trailer I am in. Back and forth, back and forth until I come out again.
Dom

Wondering why no one mentioned this, but then again, I may have just skimmed the posts too quickly.

When our (female, de-sexed) cat started to piss around after being a nice & clean kitty for years, a vet told us it would probably help to follow her around (softly) with a water pistol & spray her as soon as she was about to pee. We did that (I took a few days off work), and after about 40 hours of "cat watching" using the water pistol, she was cured.

Yeah, you need some free time, but what the hell, we loved that little cutie (sadly enough, she's no longer among the living) (died of old age, many years later)

Chronistin
(Home @ http://www.fallschirmspringer.net/)

Hey babe, sorry to hear that Trixie is being a punk :( Why dont u try a second litter box? Maybe she doesnt like sharing with Spooky Cat?

There is three in the freaking house now, and they get cleaned out everyday!!:S:S

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Something else that works...and keeps the house dry from water guns~

A tin can 1/4 filled with BB's...shake it like mad with ole "PP" decides to squirt. Scares the heck out of them and REALLY works....with dogs too!;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hi, there, Kim!

OK. A few questions.

1. Has she done this all her life? Or did it start a bit ago?

2. Any recent changes? Anything at all which has upset her routine? Cats are routine lovers, and don't handle change well. Did you get new carpet, a new chair, new dishes, new cat box? A new perfume? Anything new/different at all?

3. What are you feeding her? A higher quality cat food (yes, I know...) can help with peeing problems. Friskies and Cat Chow are really bad for UTIs in cats. Try Iams, or Chicken Soup For The Cat's Soul, or something a little more "pure." Stay away from "meal" anything; if that's in the first few ingredients, it can really play havoc on a kitty's urinary tract.

4. Any unusual smell to the urine? The next time you get a spot, wipe it up with a clean kleenex or napkin (preferably white). Sniff it (yes, I know, gross...but...). If there is any overly strong smell, or any unusual smell, pop Kitty into the carrier and take her in. Any weird color? Darkish, or too light, or streaks? Blood? Same thing. Anything odd with her poo? Funny smell, funny color, anything like that? Sometimes a poo problem manifests with a pee problem...

5. Is she declawed? Often, declawing (cutting off the cat's claws at the top of the first knuckle) can create issues with litter. It hurts them enormously, and perhaps that's the issue. I know that some cats just can't walk in the crystals, and the simple switch to sand handled the problem completely.

6. Change litters and buy a brand new box. Go from crystal to clumping, or to shredded newspaper or pine/sawdust. Put the box somewhere that she can be totally private. Mix what you have now with the new stuff 50/50, and gradually (gradually!!!!) alter the mix until you're 100% new stuff.

7. When/if all the above is done, and there is nothing medically wrong with kitty, try getting something called Feliway. It's a synthetic cat pheremone; we can't smell it, but they sure can. It mimics the scent glands' output to indicate something is safe and is all right; no marking needed. It's really a wonderful thing...I've used it on all the rescues, and they've all been able to calm down pretty quickly.

7. Give her a high spot, if she hasn't got one. Somewhere up high - the top of a kitty condo, or the top of a cabinet. If she can get up high, she can "oversee" everything around her. That will give a sense of security and/or comfort.

8. Give her a sweaty shirt, and let her lie on it. That will reassure her that you're here, you're around, and you will be home shortly. I know a guy who gives his cats his shoes when he's going to be gone for more than a few days, and it seems to work.

9. Does she like catnip? Try getting a tub of the leaves (dry and shredded, not in a toy) and sprinkling that on the spots she pees in. The act of her rubbing her face on that spot will mark it as a no-pee spot. I've used this very effectively.

10. Remember that there is a reason for this going on, and once you can determine the reason, you will have handled the issue. Literally 75% of the peeing issues are medical, and the majority of the rest have to do with security/comfort issues. She's not peeing to piss you off; she's doing something because she has a need to be met and she can't meet it herself.

I rescued 17 cats and kittens last year, and have 5 of my own. I am pretty confident in my methods, but if they don't work, let me know, and I'll forward some more (expert) advice for you. There is NO NEED to put her down...

Quick story. Charlotte would pee ON my bed. I had a darned tough time trying to figure out what was wrong, and all medical stuff turned up clear. I used a combination of Feliway (the room diffuser, not the spray), a change back to my old carpet freshener, and the catnip sprinkles to get her past the issue, along with tons of love and lots of skritches. It's been years since she peed improperly.

Let me know how else I can help.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

How is Penguin doing, by the way?

She is doing really well.

No contact yet, but she's constantly in the same room I'm in, has her toys (that the other 4 don't bother) and plays with them, her sleeping spot is in the open (rather than under the bed). She eats with the others, and is interested in the shenanigans of the house overall. In the last two months, I've nearly stepped on her several times, as she comes up behind me to see what I'm doing, or is curious as to what the others are up to and I just don't see her. LOL, those moments scare her, and yes, she still hisses and fusses at me, but nothing at all major. If she leaves the room, she's back within 10 minutes, and often I pass her about 2 feet away without her fleeing.

We have moved up to treats and I'm trying to get her to be willing to be touched with a long feather wand. We had some success with that a while ago, but then things happened. It's time to start that process again.

Yes, my Pengy is doing well...thanks, Tigra, for asking. I can't wait to touch her with my hand. That will be an amazing moment.

Ciels-
Michele

I don't like cats, but I would never have any animal put down because she/he peed in inappropriate places. Please find her a loving home, before you put her to sleep. If you can find a way to keep her and help her to change her bad habits, then I do hope that you can do so. Good luck to you both!

Thank you!

You took on the responsibility of taking care of the animal the second you decided to take it home from the pet store, breeder, wherever... and it's not appropriate to kill an animal just because it's convenient for you.

I am trying to make a really hard decision. I love my Trixie dearly and she is a very sweet loving cat. But she pees in corners of my house once in a while and if I block the spots off she finds somewhere else to go. It happens about once sometimes twice a week. I've tried everything and I am really thinking about having her put down especially since it will definately cause some problems in my life in the future if I don't just do it. What would you guys do?

PUT BLACK PEPPER WHERE THE CAT PEES AND GET SOME SPRAY CALLED ODOR-BAN THAT WILL GET RID OF THE SMELL... SORRY I AM AT WORK THAT IS WHY I AM TYPING IN ALL CAPS, NOT YELLING I PROMISE!!!:)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be the change you wish to see in the world!

LOLing at all of you!!! Thanks...I appreciate the compliments.

It's a good house for cats. I have a soft spot for those animals hurt, abused, lost and scared. Since I can't have dogs here, I have cats. And it's really funny, but I tend to not have the same issues as other people do (or at least they're relatively shortlived when they happen); my guys are pretty well behaved, but I think that's because they know - no questions!!!- they are loved and adored. They don't fight with each other, and 3 of the 5 were adults when they came in (the exceptions being Pie (2 months) and Simon (2 1/2 weeks)).

The only problem is when it's 100 degrees, and the four that let me love on them all want to be loved on at the same time. Just too hot! LOL!

Ciels-
Michele

Hey, I'm sorry you are getting flamed here, but you are also getting some very good advice! I honestly think your heart is in the right place, but I also think you've got some better options to think about besides putting her down. Try to focus on the good advice posted here, OK!

Kim, take her to the vet and make sure she doesnt have kidney failure. Our Toby used to pee all in certain places all the time (kevlar's camera case one time) and then by the time mom took him to the vet his kidney failure was so advanced there was no saving my poor baby. So get her checked out, they might have missed it before....

my body, my choice

Hey, I'm sorry you are getting flamed here, but you are also getting some very good advice! I honestly think your heart is in the right place, but I also think you've got some better options to think about besides putting her down. Try to focus on the good advice posted here, OK!

I agree 100% here with Tigra...the advice that is being posted here is outstanding...I know things like this can be frustrating, but try working with it. Michele's advice is solid and sound...it will take some time and patience...remember this is an animal. Animals can read our emotions far better then we can of ourselves. Show as much love and care as you can, if you get angry leave the area.

I went thru something similar with my husky just about 2 years ago, he decided he was gonna start peeing at the door...and this would be right after I just took him out. I figured out what the cause was, and was patient with him, but firm. Took about a month, and it stopped. Changes in an animals life, especially sudden can really toss them for a loop and stress them out. Alot of times these are things we just dont realize.

I know you can try your hardest to work thru this...and if it doesnt work, please find a good home. this is NO reason to put a cat to sleep.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto