quade

Land a WingSuit? Y'all gotta be kiddin' me.

Testing was critical, as no one has ever survived a landing attempt without a parachute.

There was a russain woman in 1978 (guiness book of world records 2003) that fell from 35k feet after the plane she was one (commercial flight) broke up in mid air and survived to make a 100% recovery and is still alive today. no parachute..

-jsut thought I would let ya know:)

-y

I have a lot of respect for Jeb's stunt abilities.

Tell me again why Luigi is even mentioned -- why Jeb wouldn't have simply attached the GPS unit to himself? Oh, wait, that's right this is a press release and total hype.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

You do not attach the wheels to the diver - you have a large truck etc on a runway - matching the forward speed of the falling person - therefore relative forward speed = 0! If teh back of the truck is filled with a shock absorbing mechanism that crushs on impact they should be fine - as long as they are good at accuracy!

That's a little bit complicated solution, mine would be an easier one, the diver should wear a parachute :P:P:P:P

I have a lot of respect for Jeb's stunt abilities.

Tell me again why Luigi is even mentioned -- why Jeb wouldn't have simply attached the GPS unit to himself? Oh, wait, that's right this is a press release and total hype.

Say $100 then? Land and walk away by 23 APR 2008?

Derek

Testing was critical, as no one has ever survived a landing attempt without a parachute.

There was a russain woman in 1978 (guiness book of world records 2003) that fell from 35k feet after the plane she was one (commercial flight) broke up in mid air and survived to make a 100% recovery and is still alive today. no parachute..

-jsut thought I would let ya know:)

Actually she rode a piece of the wreckage down , i.e. wasn't in freefall. Only person I've ever read about that didn't ride anything down was the guy in WW 2 who bailed out of a flaming bomber and survi
ved.
-y

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "

I know Jeb. Was there his first year of learning to fly.

Jeb is just crazy enough to try and do this stunt. However, don't think he'll walk away from it. Sorry my friend.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I think I first proposed the bet back on April 20, 2002, so I'm sticking by that as my 6 year deadline (no pun intended . . . well maybe a little).

$100 . . . well, I could do that, but I'm thinking I don't want the bad karma associated with making money off somebody else's injuries.

How about a $100 donation to the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation?

Just to formalize it . . . the person has to make a winguit jump and land without the use of a parachute, uninjured by April 20, 2008.
quade -

I know Jeb. Was there his first year of learning to fly.

Jeb is just crazy enough to try and do this stunt. However, don't think he'll walk away from it. Sorry my friend.

ltdiver

Anyone know what WS he was flying? And I agree - why have the VX 39 fly along side it? You can't compare a WS to a canopy that is still huge compared to the wing of a WS - plus the canopy can flare. A GPS on the WS would have worked just as well.

I was under the impression that the S3 is about as large as a wing you can get without increasing drag so much that it would damage the arms. Without a larger wing how are you going to create enough drag to allow a slow enough landing? The forward speed will be the biggest issue, then how will you flare it to slow it down without causing a high speed stall or too much lift? I'm not as current with my physics as I once was, but after a conversation I recently had with Kallend - it seems like this just isn't mathematically possible.

I realize that there will be those that will chase this goal of safely landing a WS without a parachute - but I'm starting to think it may be the same as the search for the Holy Grail.

Nope, I won't take any bets on this when someone's life is on the line.

The forward speed will be the biggest issue, then how will you flare it to slow it down without causing a high speed stall or too much lift?

Even wuffo's come up to me and speak in awed tones about 'what they had heard is going to happen soon', when speaking about this stunt.

Should I burst their bubble and state the facts I believe? Or just let them prattle on and nod? Depends on my mood at the time...

ltdiver

Even wuffo's come up to me and speak in awed tones about 'what they had heard is going to happen soon', when speaking about this stunt.

Whuffos are attracted to very visually stimulating images from our sport or the outlandish ideas we come up with. I find that pics of HUGE ways, large CRW jumps, wind tunnel video, swooping next to mountains, and anything WS related gets their attention. WS esp seem to get the most questions - and maybe thats what Go Fast was going for - to create some hype to get some nice publicity. Nothing wrong with that, IMO, as long as they stay safe.

Should I burst their bubble and state the facts I believe? Or just let them prattle on and nod? Depends on my mood at the time...

ltdiver

I usually just tell them they will hear about it in the news good or bad the same time I do. I tell them that even if it wasn't possible there will be someone out there that will try to prove that wrong.

I'm curious what these new technologies they are creating to help land a WS.

Maybe it's not the wing suit design changes so much as it is the conditions in which it will be flown.

Like right now here in SoCal the winds are howling outside. About 40+ mph I'd guess.

Now, we all know that to slow down the vertical speed the horizontal speed must increase. What if the successful WS pilot were to jump in gale force winds? He'd be able to slow down his vertical speed and his horizontal speed would be countered by the head wind he'd be facing.

Hmmmmmm......

ltdiver

Maybe it's not the wing suit design changes so much as it is the conditions in which it will be flown.

Like right now here in SoCal the winds are howling outside. About 40+ mph I'd guess.

Now, we all know that to slow down the vertical speed the horizontal speed must increase. What if the successful WS pilot were to jump in gale force winds? He'd be able to slow down his vertical speed and his horizontal speed would be countered by the head wind he'd be facing.

Hmmmmmm......

ltdiver

A whole lot of "what ifs" in there. Why not wait till one of those 60-70mph wind days we get here in the midwest in the early spring?

I think turbulence would definitely enter into the issues that day.

Also if surface winds are that high, my guess is that uppers aren't a whole lot slower so spotting might also be a factor.

While there is a significant reduction in kinetic energy from say 100 to 50 mph, I still wouldn't think a person could walk away uninjured landing face first with his hands and legs locked into some "optimal" position while traveling at those speeds.
quade -

You gotta allow for some rug burn!

He's the one that said uninjured. ;)

I'll agree to "walks away unaided" with the proviso that it also includes the definition of NTSB 830.2. That is to say he can't break an arm, walk away and still be considered "uninjured".

BTW, I'm assuming this -has- to be a BASE jump as (at least in the US) it would be illegal to do this from an aircraft.
quade -

That is to say he can't break an arm, walk away and still be considered "uninjured".

for quade to be sinking to this, says to me that he is starting to think it will be done.
If someone jumps out of a plane with a wingsuit and no chute and breaks and only breaks an arm or a leg or a finger or a nose or a foot, says to me that he succeded. He would more than likely go back up withing a few months and do it again without breaking a bone.
If he can get up and walk away with a only one broken arm, he has acomplished what you are betting against.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I think I first proposed the bet back on April 20, 2002, so I'm sticking by that as my 6 year deadline (no pun intended . . . well maybe a little).

$100 . . . well, I could do that, but I'm thinking I don't want the bad karma associated with making money off somebody else's injuries.

How about a $100 donation to the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation?

Just to formalize it . . . the person has to make a winguit jump and land without the use of a parachute, uninjured by April 20, 2008.

Well if jeb walks away with no injuries then Derek probably wouldn't have any problem making money off it, so if he wins you give him 100.00 and if you win you donate to christopher reeve?

:D

nobody said it has to be on flat land... I think Loic's flight in Verbier could have been landed without major injury on a well prepared slope... As Remi said, there might be some "rug burns" involved though...

But that's just my opinion...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

for quade to be sinking to this, says to me that he is starting to think it will be done.

What I'm starting to think is that there's going to be some "trick" involved that isn't in the spirit of the original question -- like trying to land on a fresh powder slope covered with airbags. I still think there is a very good chance there will be a serious injury or death involved but somebody is going to eventually do it and somebody else is going to claim this is "landing" a wingsuit.

In my mind that isn't landing -- it's simply surviving a crash. It has no practical application.
quade -

I picture it being done on a snow slope, downhill skiers survive crashes at huge speads., who says he coupld not strap on some ski's to his legs and chest with somesort of suspension and land it, fuck knows how he will stop though but this way there would be an out, like the bloke who flew low to the mountain and then veered to the left and pulled his cute over the cliff.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

HH's latest poll shows a lot of folks believe this is possible, but even if you managed to plane out and drop the verticle speed down to zero, you'd still have a heck of a lot of forward speed and you'd be landing on your belly!

Can somebody explain to me how they think this might be done?

quade

http://futurecam.com

Paul,

I think it could be done today, but doing it twice would be the tough thing.:P

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Best bet would be on a steep, snowy mountain... With some sort of railed recovery track/vehicle that he can control the speed of from the air.. Heck, he could have snow ski's built on the front of his suit.. :P

I was kinda thinking of a luge type setup going down hill.. those guys fall out of the bob-sled thingis going pretty damn fast and just slide along the ice.. seems like you could do the same thing with a wingsuit, having it at an angle would have you hitting the ice a relatively slow verttical buy high horizontal, once you hit you're sliding horizontally down the ice at a high rate of speed

HH's latest poll shows a lot of folks believe this is possible, but even if you managed to plane out and drop the verticle speed down to zero, you'd still have a heck of a lot of forward speed and you'd be landing on your belly!

Can somebody explain to me how they think this might be done?

I see it hapening like down the slope of a snowy mountain. But my question is Why? What is that really going to do for the sport?? I think it will be cool to do , but it will never mean anything to our sport. Don't ya think? I mean how is it a part of progression with what we do?

All I say is good luck and be safe.