skydiverek

Will Slinks work OK with Dacron lines?

Is there any problem with using reserve slinks (which are made of Spectra) along with Dacron lined canopy? I am 99% sure it is not a problem, but was wondering about it, since there would be friction between two different types of material (Spectra vs. Dacron), as opposed to Spectra vs. Spectra (on Spectra lined canopies).

I've been using SM-1 Slinks on my Spectre 210 for many years.

Even though the Spectre is a 7 cell canopy (1 fewer line on each riser as opposed to a common 9 cell canopy), the slinks were a little bit harder to install due to the bulk of the Dacron line.

It probably doesn't help that I have Type 8 (wide) risers.

Why do you specially mention reserve slinks?

Why do you specially mention reserve slinks?

Probably because they're longer than the sport main slinks!

I had SM1's (sport main slinks) on a Dacron lined Silhouette on type 17 risers, and it was a huge pain in the rear to get those guys on there, due to the length of the slinks.

I put SR1's (the reserve/tandem slinks) on my current rig, which has Type 8 risers in addition to the Dacron lines (Sabre 2), and it made the process of installing them much easier, because they're longer than the SM1's...

I bought them from PD at the same time I had the canopy relined, and told them specifically that I was putting them on the main, and they didn't say anything negative regarding it.

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

Yeah, once I informed PD that dacron with metal links and rubber bumpers did not allow enough room for the cateye on the steering line to flow smoothly once the slider was down, the told me I had to go with slinks. I dont care for them on my gear so they convinced me to go with reserve slinks. Have had no problems in the 2 years they have been on. Oh its a spectre 150.

Hello Bryce!

I have a tool I got from the local craft store called a "latch hook". After a little practice, it makes Slinks much easier to install.

But yes, the SR1 Slinks are longer and would be easier to install.

I use a wire fid for Slinks if one is convenient.

(For the uninitiated, I can't find a picture of one, but this is the tool you see someone at your local DZ making closing loops with.)

I use 45 degree hemostats.
You can do it it about one step.
You first go through the loop below the tab, then thought the lines to the other side. Now clamp the running loop and pull through.
You can also use it to pull the tab through the loop by clamping the little tag and pulling the tab through.

We will show this again in Reno in Feburary.
BS,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Is there any problem with using reserve slinks (which are made of Spectra) along with Dacron lined canopy?

This is something that we looked at doing with the MC-4 military canopies a while back so we could get rid of the rapide links. I remember speaking to the engineers at PD as well as the Natick engineers about this and they both came to the same conclusion. I'll have to dig up the report but if memory serves me correctly, there was an issue with this combination.I want to say that it had to do with the heat the slider grommets generated while sliding down the dacron lines melting the spectra slinks and possible control line issues when the slider was all the way down were the reasons, but I'll have to double check. At any rate, this was looked at and deemed not a good idea for our application and hence we still use rapide links.YMMV.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I put SR1's (the reserve/tandem slinks) on my current rig, which has Type 8 risers in addition to the Dacron lines (Sabre 2)

just something that caught my eye. reserve/tandem slinks??? i wasnt aware that you could use slinks on a tandem on either the main or reserve???
i thought that was forbidden? has anyone tried or jumped with slinks on the tandem??

i be very interested in finding that out

cheers

rodger

i wasnt aware that you could use slinks on a tandem on either the main or reserve???
i thought that was forbidden? has anyone tried or jumped with slinks on the tandem??

As it turns out, I saw that on Square One's website, and not PD's.

From PD's website...

The Performance Designs' Slink© is available in two configurations:

- One for main canopies (SM-1)

- One for Performance Designs' reserves PR-106 - PR-281 (SR-1)

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

just something that caught my eye. reserve/tandem slinks??? i wasnt aware that you could use slinks on a tandem on either the main or reserve???

cheers

rodger

Apparently, the Relative Workshop/UPT tried soft links on Sigma tandems with Dacron lines, but ran into problems with hot slider grommets melting soft links, so they discontinued the practice.
... similar to the problem Lou Diamond mentioned on military freefall rigs.

I suspect that half the problem is friction from Dacron lines. Try sliding your hand quickly down a Dacron line. You will only do it once!

I wolnder how long soft links last when used with smoother lines like Spectra?

cheers

rodger

Apparently, the Relative Workshop/UPT tried soft links on Sigma tandems with Dacron lines, but ran into problems with hot slider grommets melting soft links, so they discontinued the practice.

I suspect that half the problem is friction from Dacron lines. Try sliding your hand quickly down a Dacron line. You will only do it once!

I wolnder how long soft links last when used with smoother lines like Spectra?

We still use the Reserve Slinks around here on Precision, Aerodyne, HOP and Icarus tandem mains without issue. The HOP's and Aerodyne's have Spectra lines and the Slinks don't get any abnormal wear. The Precision and Icarus mains (some Vectran and some Dacron) have the same result, although the slider seems to ride a little bit above the Slinks on these canopies during normal flight.

We did try recently the reserve Slinks on the Sigma mains again except with the main Slink bumpers inverted to keep the slider up higher, but the slider still was pushing down too much and quickly started melting the outside of the Reserve Slink (in 30 or so jumps). The slider on the Sigma mains rides solidly against the risers/Slinks. So we're back to the metal links again on the Sigma mains.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

We did try recently the reserve Slinks on the Sigma mains again except with the main Slink bumpers inverted to keep the slider up higher, but the slider still was pushing down too much and quickly started melting the outside of the Reserve Slink (in 30 or so jumps). The slider on the Sigma mains rides solidly against the risers/Slinks. So we're back to the metal links again on the Sigma mains.

If the Slink bumer was inverted, how come the Slider ws able to touch the Slink? Did the slider go OVER and down the Slink cover, and then touched the Slink?

If the Slink bumer was inverted, how come the Slider ws able to touch the Slink? Did the slider go OVER and down the Slink cover, and then touched the Slink?

The Slink cover is fairly flismy (type III tape) and made to cover the top of the riser and hold in the Slink tab & keep slider up.

So when you turn it upside down, the slider just squishes it down flat against the riser allowing the slider grommets to still rub against the Slink.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

If there is sufficient heat in the slider grommets from friction, wouldn't this also present a problem for melting/burning the suspension lines, too? Or is it not an issue because the dacron is more heat resistant than spectra?

Does this mean that the SR-1 slinks are not made of spectra, or is all the discussion here about using SR-1 and/or reserve slinks on dacron lined canopies more of a YMMV type deal?

Yes, Dacron is more heat resistant than Spectra.

PD Reserve Slinks - and soft links from most other manufacturers - are made of Spectra/Microline/polyethelene suspension line between 1,000 and 1,500 pound tensile strength.

What does "YMMV" mean?

If you are swooping and want the slider down and out of your life,then fine,,,but for everyone else whats the big deal with lusting after slinks ? Rapid links have made millions of jumps with few relative issue's,,i don't get it...[:/]

smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

lusting after slinks ?

That's hilarious.

If you are swooping and want the slider down and out of your life,then fine

Actually, a #8 grommet (slider) will fit over a #3 1/2 or #4 Rapide link even after a cover is installed.

Rapid links have made millions of jumps with few relative issue's

Yeah, they work OK. Last time I took mine off to replace the bumpers, I made-up some soft links & never looked back. BTW, for those of us who mfr. our own links, the soft variety are much easier and cheaper.:P