napalmboy

Is custom gear worth it?

I'm at the point where I'm looking for a new-to-me rig; I'm hoping to downsize to a 150 by the start of next summer (earlier if possible, but I'm cognizant of the "don't downsize right before winter" issue), and that's just too small for my current rig. Combined with the fact that my 210-square-foot reserve is 40 sq.ft. larger than anything I've jumped in over my last 100 and the fact that my used rig never quite fit me perfectly in the first place and I'm just about ready to be done with it.

So, now the question is whether I should buy new or try and find used gear. I've been looking at the used stuff here, and I haven't found anything I'm extremely enthusiastic about (yet). I'm also resigned to the fact that waiting to find used gear in my size (physically and canopy-wise) could take as long as the wait time on brand-new stuff.

The question at the end of that long-winded intro is: for those of you that ordered custom-fit gear, is the custom fit worth the wait/price? I've got almost 300 jumps and haven't ever jumped anything that's fit me "perfectly," so I'm having a hard time imagining what I should be comparing my future gear to. Anybody think it's totally worth it or not?
Well, the door was open...

Totally worth it, especially on those early Sunday rides to altitude while stuffed in the back of a 206. Bear in mind, my fat ass is all about comfort at this point of my life...:P

Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

Even if you buy used and don't really care about the colors, you can send the container to the manufacture or to a Master Rigger with your measurements to get the harness resized. That will make things much more comfortable!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Get a container that meets your canopy needs ... then as Aggiedave sez get the manufacturer/Mrigger to adjust the harness for you

I have a rig that was custom made and one that had the harness adjusted ... no difference in any way ... except the cost

Eventually, you'll want custom gear. When you've settled on canopy sizes for most of your jumps.

In close to 30 years I've only ordered two custome harnesses. One was in 1982 and the other was in 1997 (still primary rig but I don't jump a lot anymore). I've routinely jumped 6 or 7 other harnesses. Some were used and some were new off the shelf.

The two custom harnesses were the most comfortable but mainly due to harness make, not custom sizing.

Be aware there are limits to resizing unless you have the harness completely replaced. Also an option.

I'd look for used gear and wait for a couple more year before thinking about custom/new.

Of course I'm too cheap to pay for new stuff.;):)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I have a rig that was custom made and one that had the harness adjusted ... no difference in any way ... except the cost

Carefull some resizing costs can add up if the rigger/ manufacturer has to do major disassembly. Its still worth it for the comfort but be aware of the costs is all.

Eventually, you'll want custom gear. When you've settled on canopy sizes for most of your jumps.

In close to 30 years I've only ordered two custome harnesses. One was in 1982 and the other was in 1997 (still primary rig but I don't jump a lot anymore). I've routinely jumped 6 or 7 other harnesses. Some were used and some were new off the shelf.

The two custom harnesses were the most comfortable but mainly due to harness make, not custom sizing.

Be aware there are limits to resizing unless you have the harness completely replaced. Also an option.

And even then there are still limitations, such as not being able to change the yoke with several manufacturers. Of course they shouldn't be an issue assuming the used rig is somewhat close to fitting. But ya never know, one would be amazed at what I have seen folks purchase.