jumperconway

Serious Prayers Needed for One Of Our Own!

Not sure what happened but here are some <<>> and good vibes. I met Rico when I was at Skyfest last year...what a great guy. He even invited me to visit Puerto Rico with him. Get well soon, hon.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

Lisa,
He's broken pretty bad and will likely never walk again. From the ER,crushed 5,6,7 vertibrae in the neck on a botched "deadman" swoop. He was kept alive by outstanding care at the scene by Spaceland emplyees befoe the medics got there. He was breathing on his own after about 3 or so hours. He better survive so we can kill him.

He was kept alive by outstanding care at the scene by Spaceland emplyees befoe the medics got there.

Definately.

The guys out there pulled together so fast and worked so hard to make sure Rico has every chance at survival. I give props to the Spaceland crew for all of their efforts.

Rico, pull through man! You and your family are in my thoughts and I'm praying for you all the time! I need your magical hands 'Mr. Massouse!' hang in there!

I'm pullin for you, bro!

~*Amanda*~

This sucks. Vibes and prayers both coming. It's a long hard road, but he's a really good guy who has the equipment to face it and make it.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I have had the good fortune to get to jump out at Spaceland a fair bit in the past month and have enjoyed the friendliness and camaraderie of all the extended family of the dropzone. On Sunday morning, before the first load of the day, I was particularly taken with the spirit and playfulness of one local character who was running around giving people backrubs, donning various items such as a mask and goggles and ‘becoming’ different characters, and just generally goofing around, having fun and making people smile. Rico just seemed so happy and full of life that he really did put an even bigger smile on my face than I ordinarily just naturally have at a dropzone. That is why the image of his lifeless body on the ground as I came in from landing after that first jump just struck me so profoundly. As I told Greg - who along with Chris and the others who gave such incredible care to Rico until the medics arrived that there is no question that he would be gone if not for their efforts – I wanted to add hysterical yells to the tears I couldn’t hold back. And on the note of the amazing care, I might add that it was not limited to attention to Rico. Once he had been airlifted out, Greg went around to myself and others who were in shock and gave many hugs and much reassurance, as did many others of the Spaceland community. My thanks to all of you for all your support throughout the tragic events yesterday. And to Rico, just know that your spirit touched me and I trust it is strong enough to pull you through this difficult time. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

I just talked to Angie, his wife. This morning they weaned him off the heavy meds for a while and he came to and was giving acknowledgement by blinking his eyes to the doctor and nurse. They will do it again this afternoon after she gets back to the hospital. She was told that the damage is to #4,5 and 6 vertebrae. He wouldn't discuss anything else until she returns. This is all the info I was told. I don't know if he's moving anything else yet or has feeling anywhere. Angie is holding up well. Let's keep the prayers going. This is going to be a long slow road to whatever type of recovery they may hope to attain.