jumperconway

Serious Prayers Needed for One Of Our Own!

There is still hope. After the swelling resides many good things can happen. Let's stay positive. Keep the faith.

Exactly. It is too early for any predictions but the fact that he's able to move his shoulders leaves a hope for complete recovery.

I believe the neck would be C4-6. T stands for Thoracic in this case, which would mean lower down.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

You're welcome Amanda!

No matter what it looks like right now, we can't take anything for granted - we can only hope and hope and hope. With his family by his side, his awesome attitude, and the high-quality healthcare Houston offers, Rico's got SO much working for him right now.

[praying, fingers crossed, vibes sent, thoughts and well-wishes, long-distance hugs] to Rico and his loved ones.

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

No matter what it looks like right now, we can't take anything for granted - we can only hope and hope and hope.

I'm not a spinal cord injury expert (where's pBASEtobe when ya need him ;)), but I understand that it's not uncommon right after a spinal injury to have swelling which creates the symptoms of paralysis, but once the swelling goes away, the feeling and control comes back.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

...(where's pBASEtobe when ya need him ;))

I'm here...I just came across this thread by accident.

...but I understand that it's not uncommon right after a spinal injury to have swelling which creates the symptoms of paralysis, but once the swelling goes away, the feeling and control comes back.

There is swelling after injury and it is standard practice to give a type of steriods in the first 24 hours. It is really hard to say what the outcome will be. With these types of injuries it really is a "time will tell" deal.

For those that don't know, I'm a paraplegic (T3-T4) so if anyone wants to give Rico or his friends or family my e-mail address so they can get in touch with me if they've got questions please forward it on to them. Or they can just PM me here.

Hope he recovers well!
Russel

news from Debbie G:)
Conway,
I was able to get to the hospital today to see Rico. He looks good. Nursing staff report that he is doing well.
I spent a lot of time with Angie and the family. We were able to pray and talk together. Angie is doing fine and she and the whole family is quite optimistic about Rico's recovery. When I left the doctors had not seen him today yet. There is still a re-evaluation pending sometime within the next 24 hours.
Surgery on his neck is tentatively scheduled for next week.He will remain in traction and in the halo until then.
No other injuries have been uncovered. All lab work and tests show that the brain, heart, and kidneys are all functioning well. That's great news.
Nothing further than yesterday's shoulder movement has been reported from the medical staff, but Angie says that Rico moved his fingers when she squeezed his hand.
As the body recovers from the trauma and the swelling subsides there will be more evaluations and faithfully much more successes to report.
Angie thanks everyone for their well-wishes and prayers. She is very appreciative.
Since I am right next door working I will try to pop over after work daily. I know that you will be speaking to Angie also.
Hope to have great news next time.
Debbie G.

I just heard negative news from the hospital, My team mate was there and talked to the doctors.

He is still on the ventilator and not breathing on his own. He may have a bacterial infection in his lungs,
this is not good, he still at deaths door. The improvements that we thought earlier may have been false readings.Sorry for the bad news. This is my my brother in heart. This mother fuckin Puerto Rican had better survive this or I'll kill him!!!!!!!!

I just spoke to Angie, his wife. Ellie is still not breathing on his own but is responding to her. He's not in a lot of pain. The nurses told her that he is paralyzed from the neck down as far as they can tell. He's been opening his eyes and looking around much more today than yesterday. He will be operated on tomorrow. There is still swelling in the spine. They also told her it's the damage in the neck that is not allowing him to breath on his own. His future may very well be determined from the surgery tomorrow. Let's keep our fingers crossed and the prayers coming.
Peace,
Conway

i will say some extra special prayers for him tonight... i will also light my candle for him and his family as well as you.. i know times like these are difficult but like someone mentioned earlier never underestimate the power of prayer.. best wishes
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

They also told her it's the damage in the neck that is not allowing him to breath on his own.

C3-C5 "keep you alive"...
responsible for the diaphragm (chest and breathing)

I hope it's just swelling & the surgery tomorrow will help!!!

More prayers coming your way Rico :)
-------------------------------------------
"Scars remind you that the past is real..."