GTAVercetti

Just saw Alice's Restaurant performed.

And it was awesome.

Arlo Guthrie is hilarious. He did Alice's restaurant perfectly and played some new stuff too.

No matter what your political affliation, you cannot deny that this song/story is part of our history.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Unfortunately, his induction center stuff was right on target. It's funny now, but it wasn't at the time! ;)

He did some stuff about dog sniffing drugs at the airport that was pretty good too. It was just a very cool thing to be able to see.

Watched 'Alice's Restaurant' for the um-teenth time, Sunday. You're right, he's a good musician and he's funny! It's understandable, his growing up around folks like his dad, Bob Dylan, Pete Seeger, Mississippi John Hurt and others. Glad you got to See Arlo!

Chuck

Nope. Don't think there would be any grit kissing in this one. It was originally a compilation of songs and stories that Arlo Gutherie would sing and tell that was made into a movie in the 1960's. A great anti-war film that poked fun at the "establishment",

Blue skies,

Jim

Nope. Don't think there would be any grit kissing in this one. It was originally a compilation of songs and stories that Arlo Gutherie would sing and tell that was made into a movie in the 1960's. A great anti-war film that poked fun at the "establishment",

According to legend, the story is true. For back then, I can believe it.:D

Chuck

That would be awesome. I didn't think he was still singing Alice's Restaurant.

I turned over the piece of paper, and there, there on the
other side, in the middle of the other side, away from everything else on
the other side, in parentheses, capital letters, quotated, read the
following words:

Kid, do you know that skydiving is an inherently dangerous activity which may result in serious injury or death?

My understanding is also that it is the true story of Arlo's induction experience. How else would he know all the details like that?;). I actually saw it the year I came back from Vietnam and haven't seen it since, but remember the induction center part because it was so accurate. None of my non-service friends believed it though.

Blue skies,

Jim

that would be awesome on the back of a dz's waiver form! almost as good as skyventure perris (and maybe others) where the last two things you have to inital are:

did you actually read everything you just initialed?

no, really, did you actually read any of it?

i laughed my ass off and i was told that if people don't at least snicker at it, they know they didn't read it.
B|:D
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

My understanding is also that it is the true story of Arlo's induction experience. How else would he know all the details like that?;). I actually saw it the year I came back from Vietnam and haven't seen it since, but remember the induction center part because it was so accurate. None of my non-service friends believed it though.

Right you are! All the events in that movie were based on a true story. I recall my draft physical, too. I was barely 21 and was later deferred because I was a police officer at the time. All the other branches had waiting lists. I recall, coming home and watching the conflict on the evening news. All I can say, to you and all who served over there is; Thank you! You guys did your job and served the United States.

Blue Skies!

Chuck

Right you are! All the events in that movie were based on a true story. I recall my draft physical, too. I was barely 21 and was later deferred because I was a police officer at the time. All the other branches had waiting lists. I recall, coming home and watching the conflict on the evening news. All I can say, to you and all who served over there is; Thank you! You guys did your job and served the United States.

Blue Skies!

Chuck

Yeah, my dad was passed over by the draft because he had metal stitches and all sorts of stuff in his stomach from a nicely placed horse kick. Being a jockey hurts. :)
I think the best part is that Arlo's voice is the same. His cadence and pitch were exactly as I heard on my mom's records.

I saw him on t.v. awhile back. I was amazed at how his voice hadn't changed and he still has that great sense of humor. In 1992, he bought the church where Alice and Ray lived. Turned it into a charity place to help folks with Hunnington's Chorea Woody had.

Chuck

I didn't think he was still singing Alice's Restaurant.

Yeah he still sings it though I don’t know that he really wants to. I’ve seen Arlo a few times over the last few years and hes played it at each show. He’s even included a whole new story about the 11 or so minutes missing from the Nixon tapes and it’s all good and funny just like the rest of the song.

neilp

Yeah he still sings it though I don’t know that he really wants to.

On the Arlo CD I've got, he introduces one song (I don't remember which one) by saying that the only thing more stupid than this song, is the fact that he has made a living off of singing this stupid song.

Arol often stays at a Hare Krishna retreat near Skydive Sebastian, in Florida.

Unfortunately, his induction center stuff was right on target. It's funny now, but it wasn't at the time! ;)

Hi Gemini

We had our induction physical at the same induction center as Arlo (Whitehall st.)[:/]

Just like you said it was right on target, except IMO for us at the time it was happening it was still funny:D

Standing in a very long line (very early in the morning[:/]) in your underware. A bunch of army dudes barking instructions in a foreign language to a bunch of 18 Y.O.'s that knew they were going to be classifed 1A. After they got poked, proded, yelled at:S Whatever:|

BTW we were classified 1SH by our draft board.B|....For 6 month's:(

R.I.P.

FWIW we bought the DVD from Amazon.

Mine was at San Antonio. Funny thing was the swearing in. An officer told us to raise our right hands. Some people raise right, some left. After the yelling stopped, and we all had our right hands up a sargent came in and we were told to put our hands down. He and the officer talked for a few minutes and then the officer announced "Ok gentlemen, the first two rows nearest the door follow the sargent." After they left, the officer looked at the rest of us and said "You boys don't know how lucky you are! Those guys just joined the Marines! Now raise your right hands."

Oddest thing was even though most of the people there were draftees, there were a few of us who were RA volunteers, but when they pulled those guys out it didn't matter one bit!

Blue skies,

Jim