skymama

Hurricane Katrina

My mom and Dad are in Amite Louisiana. Its right where the black dot is on the attached photo. The house i grew up in Is surrounded by 100 foot tall pine trees. Hope none of them snap off and fall on the house.
:(
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

I'm listening to a financial expert on tv right now. Gas will go up by about 10 cents because of the hit the Gulf oil rigs are going to take from the hurricane. :|
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Tammy is doing ok. They lost power at around 6 this morning but she hasn't lost cell phone service all night! The eye is just a few miles east of her right now. A tree is down in her backyard but that's about all the damage right now. There's no flooding either. It really veared east and spared NOLA the brunt of it.

Gas will go up by about 10 cents

Like we're gonna notice another 10 cents when it's already pushing $3 a gallon here...

Hope everyone has plenty of alcohol in their hurricane supplies. You'll need it. For medicinal purposes only of course....

This is so not good.

(From wwltv.com, the CBS affiliate in New Orleans):

Apartment building on Wright Avenue in Terrytown has collapsed with people inside, according to Jefferson Parish Sheriff Harry Lee. Rescue crews have not been able to get to the scene as of 9:30 a.m.

Karen Swensen says there is 3 feet of water downtown near the Hyatt. She reports several office windows coming out whole from buildings.

Two holes ripped in Superdome roof, visible from facility floor, according to Associated Press reports.

.. A LEVEE BREACH OCCURRED ALONG THE INDUSTRIAL CANAL AT TENNESSE STREET. 3 TO 8 FEET OF WATER IS EXPECTED DUE TO THE BREACH...LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO ARABI AND 9TH WARD OF NEW ORLEANS.

St. Bernard Parish spokesman Larry Ingargiola says the parish's two shelters at Chalmette High and St. Bernard High are suffering major damage. He said Chalmette High shelter is losing its roof, and St. Bernard High has plenty of broken windows and glass. He estimates 300-plus refugees at the two sites.

Entergy says 317,000 customers were without power as of 6 a.m. Cleco reported 40,000 without power in St. Tammany Parish.

St. Bernard Parish officials say most of the parish has no power.

according to Jefferson Parish Sheriff...

For those not in the south, Parish is the same as County.

Actually, I think it's for those not familiar with Louisiana... does any other state use parishes instead of counties?

Hang in there, NOLA!

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

I was a bit confused when I was down there two weeks ago.
I'm hoping I don't have to head down there this week, but I'm not holding my breath right now. No reports from where I'd be going yet other than what I'm seeing on MSNBC. Guess I'll wear shorts instead of dressing up - only positive I see right now.
------
Michael

So far so good here in Pensacola. Just a few tree limbs down. It is amazing how the weather has changed in just 48 hours. Saturday was a beautiful day for jumping the beach at the Flora-Bama and Pink Pony at Gulf Shores.

I am sure Rick Payne is sleeping or drinking off the hurricane just fine. We just got done doing improvements to the drop zone at Emerald Coast I hope it wasn't for nothing !

My thoughts and Prayers go out to my Gold Coast Skydiving friends. Mike Igo let us use his otter last week so we could train or German students and Buddy Blue let us use his Cessna on the other days. Thank you guys sooo much !!

I guess Bobo Loco {Psyco Bob} made it home ok. I have seen the pictures and wish I could have gone. Bolas If your out there let me know when you will go again.

Blue Skies Everyone ! Timber (Matador Rodriguez)

According to the weather channel website, it has made landfall, but it is now down to a Category 3 hurricane, which is still pretty bad, but it won't be the Worst Case Scenario that some were predicting.

hang in there folks.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

The front of my parents house faces Dog River (Mobile) and they said it has risen approx 12 feet and that their house sits 18 feet above the river. However they said that the drainage ditches seem to be doing a pretty good job maintaining the current level. They feel confident that they only have approx 2 more hours until the winds/rain will subside.

Lots of large oak tree limbs are down. They said that there's a rake with my name on it;):D

Things have gone down hill rapidly in the last hour. The water cleared the St. Bernard levees and Tammy is now in her attic, the water is at least 4 or 5 feet in her house

I'm praying for the hurricane to pass quickly and for their safety[:/]. Thanks for keeping us posted.

A tornado hit my aunt/uncle's house and they're sitting in their daughter's closet.

I am getting so sick of Hurricanes !! Just when I get the yard cleaned up: Bam here comes another storm. My exgirlfriend Eileen is a Meteorlologist with the "Hurricane Hunters" She is an increible person. We drifted apart because she was gone all the time and I spend all my free time skydiving. If you want to see a neat website go to www.hurricanehunters.com.

I lived in Northridge, Calif and was there for the earthquake. I would rather put up with that every once in a while.

Katee let me know when you come to visit your parents and if I can help them with anything ! I believe the worst is over for our area.

I am getting so sick of Hurricanes !! Just when I get the yard cleaned up: Bam here comes another storm. My exgirlfriend Eileen is a Meteorlologist with the "Hurricane Hunters" She is an increible person. We drifted apart because she was gone all the time and I spend all my free time skydiving. If you want to see a neat website go to www.hurricanehunters.com.

I lived in Northridge, Calif and was there for the earthquake. I would rather put up with that every once in a while.

Katee let me know when you come to visit your parents and if I can help them with anything ! I believe the worst is over for our area.

Just watched CNN in the cafeteria where I work. Everyone was just shaking their heads at how the news reporters of the affiliate stations were making complete fools of themselves.

How is it informative when a reporter starts showing off by standing out in hurricane force winds, and yelling about how nobody should be out here, and then yelling to the cameraman "OK, we're gonna run over there til we get behind that building!"

They just looked f&*king ridiculous out there, and with all the wind & rain & noise you couldn't see much anyway. It was just pointless self-aggrandizement. Morons.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

>Just watched CNN in the cafeteria where I work.

People here are flipping through the channels to see live pictures of the hurricane. Apparently people want to see live reports.

>Morons.

They got you to watch! And apparently all the people in my breakroom too.