ChasingBlueSky

Katrina: It could have been worse (news)

I've been asking myself why a town would be developed where pumps and levees are needed for the town to stay dry?

Isn't Amsterdam (& a large surrounding area)the same way?

...and Amersterdam is Flemish, AND Hurricanes don't hit the European Continent. Well, "extra tropical" morphings of them do, but they don't have storm surge and high winds.

Well the Dutch have experienced enough of a problem to spend billions building the following barriers from storm surges.

Maeslant barrier
The Maeslant barrier consists of two immense doors, each shaped like a wheel segment. Together with its spokes around which they turn, each segment stretches for 320 metres, about the height of the Eiffel Tower, and it weighs more than four times as much as the Eiffel Tower. The Guinness Book of Records calls it the world’s largest robot.

Off-shore dept sounding buys are continually monitoring the sea level. If the level rises 2,3 metres above the average sea level, the weir elements, which float upon the water, are moved to the centre of the river. When both ends meet, the ballast tanks are flooded, to sink the barrier solidly into place.

Eastern Scheldt barrier
The Eastern Scheldt barrier is no simple dike, but a storm flood barrier connecting two islands. It has 66 sluices that are only closed if the tide reaches an extremely high 3 meters above average sea level.
Fly it like you stole it!

>why a town would be developed where pumps and levees are needed
>for the town to stay dry?

1. When New Orleans was first settled, it was above sea level. Diversion/control of the river caused both the sediment beneath New Orleans to sink and the land around it to grow higher as the river deposited sediment there.

2. Holland seems to do OK with it.

1. When New Orleans was first settled, it was above sea level. Diversion/control of the river caused both the sediment beneath New Orleans to sink and the land around it to grow higher as the river deposited sediment there.

I understand how New Orleans developed, but why continue to build when they know there is a problem with the land sinking? How arrogant of us to think we can stop Mother Nature.

As for Holland being okay with it, how many Hurricans do they get?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I understand how New Orleans developed, but why continue to build when they know there is a problem with the land sinking? How arrogant of us to think we can stop Mother Nature.

As for Holland being okay with it, how many Hurricans do they get?

It's not uncommon, but since they don't have tropical origins more like artic they aren't really "hurricanes".

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/e/eu/european_windstorm.htm
Fly it like you stole it!

I don't think asking why New Orleans continued to develop a city that exists below sea level is any more pertinent than asking why people build near fault lines or in areas frequented by tornados. The city was developed long before it's relation to the water level became an issue and, being a popular city, continued to grow. I think N.O. has done a good job of holding back a tragedy of this proportion. I mean, the last major hurricane to hit the area was Betsy almost 40 years ago and it didn't result in damage this severe. My family has had our house there for the last 22 years and, in that time, have flooded only once or twice (in inches, not feet, of water) and have never had a hurricane hit the city dead on like this one.

The levee and pump system has worked fantastically for a long time. I don't see living there as being any different than involving oneself in a sport where a major F up could have dire consequences. You recognize the risk and you proceed with caution, but you keep on. That's how I view New Orleans, a city that always knew the risk, but kept on.
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

>but why continue to build when they know there is a problem with
>the land sinking?

Same reason we build near forests that burn down, rivers that flood, fault lines that rattle us, slopes that slide away, and permafrost that can melt. Because we like real estate.

>How arrogant of us to think we can stop Mother Nature.

Oddly enough we can - for a little while. You can't live without lots of technology in Las Vegas, just like you can't live without pumps in New Orleans or Holland. She eventually wins though. As long as people accept that, let them build wherever they want.

I wonder if there is a link between the burning of CFCs, Ozone Depletion, global warming and the vast amount of incredible mother nature that has been occuring to our planet. When I think about the 3 hurricanes endured by the Floridians last year, the huge tsunami endured by Bali, Indonesia and Thailand and now a class 5 hurricane off of the gulf coast. It seems like the flood activity has risen dramatically and with greater intensity over the past couple years.

I myself know that the flood requirements have changed regarding my homeowner's insurance on a piece of property I currently own in Hawaii. I was never required in the past to have flood insurance however, this year I was REQUIRED to purchase flood insurance. This requirement was a recent change after the tsunami in Indonesia.

My guess is that there is a link between humans and our impact on the environment. This may be Mother Nature's way of retaliating as we are disrupting nature's balance.

How long will it take the politicians to figure it out and will it be too late by then to fix a bigger underlying problem? [:/]
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

"burning of CFCs?" HTF do you burn CFCs?

Ozone depletion (by CFCs) increases UV radiation getting in here, not global warming. It's UV Not IR.

Greenhouse gases cause global warming which is what is f&*king with the weather system. The big debate is how much of the global warming is due to human activity.

The whole CFC/ozone thing is different.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

well we are, but not in the way your post implies...

if we'd simply protected the wetlands that once existed south of NO, the damage would have been SIGNIFICANTLY less...and not building below sea level in the first place would have been helped....

the storms are not any more significant than they ever were... we have just created cities that are more vulnerable...

I wonder if there is a link between the burning of CFCs, Ozone Depletion, global warming and the vast amount of incredible mother nature that has been occuring to our planet. When I think about the 3 hurricanes endured by the Floridians last year, the huge tsunami endured by Bali, Indonesia and Thailand and now a class 5 hurricane off of the gulf coast. It seems like the flood activity has risen dramatically and with greater intensity over the past couple years.

I myself know that the flood requirements have changed regarding my homeowner's insurance on a piece of property I currently own in Hawaii. I was never required in the past to have flood insurance however, this year I was REQUIRED to purchase flood insurance. This requirement was a recent change after the tsunami in Indonesia.

My guess is that there is a link between humans and our impact on the environment. This may be Mother Nature's way of retaliating as we are disrupting nature's balance.

Florida had 4 major hurricanes last year. Charley, Jeanne, Ivan and Frances, all of whom are sure to have the names retired. Hurricanes seem to increase in frequency in cycles, and we are in the middle of one of those cycles. The last intense cycle was in the 50's and 60's. More and more damage are being done by hurricanes today because a lot more people are living in low-lying areas as well as the coast.

The Tsunami had nothing to do with weather phenomena or environment. It was completely a geological act, a once-in-your-lifetime event...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

yep.. nasty stuff! :( they'll rebuild... probably 6 feet higher or more. google the galveston flood of 1900... that washed everything out to sea. when they rebuilt, they just poured a giant slab of concrete over the broken city to keep it from happening again. if any of you have been to the galveston coast, you can actually see it just below the seawall. i was brand new to houston when we got it bad a few years ago with allison (see attached), but we aren't right on the coast like new orleans.

edit: i searched for ya. hurricane eloise. katraina allison and eloise... those bitches... how come fl gets all the male storm names?:P
http://www.1900storm.com/
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce

Humm,I have no "Doubt" you may/most certainly are on to something.I saw what happens in the late 70's working for Local,States and Federal(EPA)as a Smoke Stack Tester?Money Corrupts Period!You wanna clean something up,Spend Billions and Trillions?You wanna sweep the the problem under the carpet and hope it goes away?(what usually happens)rabbit

hurricane eloise. katraina allison and eloise... those bitches... how come fl gets all the male storm names?:P
http://www.1900storm.com/

Uhhh... those bitches Jeanne and Frances smashed Florida last year, remember? :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Uhhh... those bitches Jeanne and Frances smashed Florida last year, remember? :P

Careful who you call a bitch, Amazon will knock yer lights out!! :o:D

That makes me wonder... when are we gonna get a hurricane named Amazon??? :D:D:D