MarkTL

flaring and tracking help

I have these two problem with flaring I always do it to high and crash land. Is there any advice you guys got that can help me better understand flare timing? As for tracking my problem is I cant get out of my arch when i track. any adivce on how to get out of the arch i tried it already during a couple jumps but I cant tell if im out of the arch or not. When i track i dont fly straight but on a downward angle . any help is appreciated.
Live life with no regrets

Next time you're tracking away at break off (or on a solo), try to look between you legs/feet directly behind you.

This is a good way to make sure you are dearched with the added bonus of being able to see everyone breakoff from the formation to ensure good separation.

For canopy control, get somebody to film your landings and talk to a canopy coach or someone suitable that has seen you land first hand.

Is there any advice you guys got that can help me better understand flare timing?

Try the "oh shit" rule. When you feel like you need to flare, say "oh shit" three times. *Then* flare. :D

That worked for me when I was a student and wanted to flare too high.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I have these two problem with flaring I always do it to high and crash land.

Are you looking at the ground or are you looking out toward the horizon? There's no telling what your problem is without seeing you in person or on video, but looking at the ground is a common cause of flaring high.

The best thing to do would be to have someone (like an instructor ;) ) watch or video your landings and then discuss them with you.
Owned by Remi #?

Try the "oh shit" rule. When you feel like you need to flare, say "oh shit" three times. *Then* flare.

Um hmmm... I was told to wait until I was scared witless, then count to 3. :D
Owned by Remi #?

Try the "oh shit" rule. When you feel like you need to flare, say "oh shit" three times. *Then* flare.

Um hmmm... I was told to wait until I was scared witless, then count to 3. :D

Accomplishes the same thing. :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

For Flaring: Don't just look straight at the ground, either straight down, or at your landing point. I was taught waay back in flight school to flare the airplane by looking at the horizon, and off to the side. Under canopy, I switch between side (about 45 degrees), ground, horizon, ground, ect. It gives ME a much better perspective on my height. I don't like the 3 count past when you think you should because it doesn't really teach you how to judge height correctly.

Standard "not an instructor, ask YOUR instructors" disclaimer applies here.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I have these two problem with flaring I always do it to high and crash land. Is there any advice you guys got that can help me better understand flare timing?

The best advice is to talk to an instructor at your DZ and also to take a canopy control course.

General advice that works for me is:

1. While in the air, play with the canopy. Flare until you get to the point that you feel like you've stopped going down (for me, the wind suddenly goes silent). Remember this point.

2. When you get close to the ground, flare slowly and smoothly -- first to that point you figured out in the air, then all the way. If you find that you've flared too early, hold the toggles where they are (i.e. don't let up, but don't continue pulling downward) until you get closer to the ground. You'll have to finish the flare harder and faster, but at least you won't be finishing your flare while still 10 feet in the air. That's no fun at all.

3. Always prepare to PLF, and PLF if you even think it might possibly be necessary.

4. Try to remember what the ground looked like in relation to your last landing. Adjust accordingly.

Order Brian Germains' book The parachute and its pilot you will learn alot about canopy flight including techniques for the flare. Dont know how to do the clicky thing but look in gear under main and reserve parachutes "big air sportz" you can link to his website.
ATTACK LIFE ! IT'S GOING TO KILL YOU ANYWAY!!!!

Just a suggestion. Try standing at the top of a long flight of stairs. Put your hands up as if you are under canopy at full flight. Walk down the stairs quickly. Begin your 'flare' 8-10 steps from the bottom and finish the 'flare' on the last step.

It amazes me that when I have people try this after they tell me they flare too high, they will finish their 'flare' 6-8 steps from the bottom. "Well there's your problem"

When you start your flare isn't nearly as important as when you finish your flare.

As for tracking, lay on the floor. Now lift yourself off the floor so that only your shoulders and toes are touching the floor. Your arch is gone.

It is more important to track straight than fast. If you turn, you can be getting closer to other jumpers instead of farther away.

Hope this helps.

Derek V

I have these two problem with flaring I always do it to high and crash land. Is there any advice you guys got that can help me better understand flare timing? As for tracking my problem is I cant get out of my arch when i track. any adivce on how to get out of the arch i tried it already during a couple jumps but I cant tell if im out of the arch or not. When i track i dont fly straight but on a downward angle . any help is appreciated.

Have you done your coach jumps yet? Ask Pancake if he can do some coach jumps with you. He gave me advice on flaring and I had my 1st "almost" stand up landing, then my 1st stand up landing 2 loads in a row. It was beautiful. :-)

Good luck and say "hi" around the DZ!
Always be kinder than you feel.

I forgot to say that Pancake went over the body positions with me and everything fell into place really easily. I can't give any "real" advice except to get with a really great coach. It helped me more than you could ever imagine.
Always be kinder than you feel.

Big newb here, so I can only tell you about my experiences.

When I graduated AFF, I was taught to cup my shoulders, creating a pocket of air. Someone has to show it to you.

When I was flaring high, I made sure I started landing near the wind sock to give me a judge of how high I was. I wasn't so near that I was in danger of crashing, just enough to see my height.

I'm guessing you haven't done coach jumps yet. LickyMcSwirly is right. Get a coach jump.

About flaring: The advice I was given and what I've given that seems to work is to flare when things look "normal". I know that sounds kind of stupid. But there is a point on descent where everything seems to 'click' into the same perspective you have when you're on the ground.

Also keep in mind no two flares are ever really the same.

I know I've just contradicted myself a smidge. But that's what keeps it so exciting!
"Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman's apparel is clearly asking to be mangled."

Next time you're tracking away at break off (or on a solo), try to look between you legs/feet directly behind you.

This is a good way to make sure you are dearched with the added bonus of being able to see everyone breakoff from the formation to ensure good separation.

Careful here, it's also a great way to do a nice head down into a front flip if your not careful. De-arch (i.e. flatten out), cup your shoulders, hands at side, extend your legs, point your toes and go. Keep your head on a swivel, even while tracking. Get a coach to film it, then make a body adjustment to it from there.

Same thing with the landings, get them on film if you can. You can learn a lot by watching film of it.

When i track i dont fly straight but on a downward angle . any help is appreciated.

Eddie,

I had the exact same issue and this helped me immensely: Stand facing a wall, arms arms extended stiffly towards the floor (as if you were in the tracking position). The palms of your hands should be facing the wall, the backs of your hands facing behind you. Now, turn your hands so that the backs of your hands face the wall, palms facing behind you. Notice as you do this, your shoulders naturally want to roll forward a bit. Exaggerate the roll as far forward as you can, and as you do so, you'll notice that your body wants to bend ever so slightly at the waist and your stomach/abs pull inward a bit... you're de-arching! The de-arched body along with the cupped shoulders will help you catch much more air and though you may be slightly head-down you won't lose nearly as much altitude. Another plus is that your altimeter is much more visible with much less body movement.

Hope that helps!
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

Order Brian Germains' book The parachute and its pilot you will learn alot about canopy flight including techniques for the flare. Dont know how to do the clicky thing but look in gear under main and reserve parachutes "big air sportz" you can link to his website.

http://www.bigairsportz.com/
Jeanne
Blue Skies, better days, more beer - Oh the humanity - Peace be with you my friend

DON'T TASE ME BRO

First about tracking: ground practice while being on your back with legs extended. Then put your hand at your hip palm up (in this case) open and curved. Hands do not have to be necessarily against your hip but within 5" or less. Then bent your torso upward and lift your leg together making sure your abdominal muscles are tight and hold that position for 12 seconds. This is the Guy Wright way. If your belly muscles are not a little bit sore, your track is not the best. Do it in the air when flying on your belly.
Now for landing : You can start your flare at 15 feet but depress your toggles very progessively according was you see by looking at 45 degrees ahead of you (the place where you will land). If by any chance the ground seems to come to you faster, keep on depressing the toggles accordingly, in this case a bit faster. Alway refer to an instructor and stick with him until becoming quite proficient.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

What they said especially the part about talking to an instructor/trusted up jumper. Let me add The few people I've helped with their track the problem wasn't the de arch, but that they were not applying any pressure to their legs. Try going into a track on a creeper with someone loosely holding on to your feet. When you reach track position you should be trying to push down against their grip. I found that people that needed help with their track were not applying pressure when we were creeping it. The de-arch is only one part of the track legs are important too.