kelel01

Question about wine . . .

It's corked.

Corked doesn't mean the cork came out. It means a bad cork fouled the wine.

Corked wine smells bad which is why the waiter lets you taste the wine when he brings it. You're supposed to smell it to see if it has that characteristic "corked" smell which is like dirty feet.

The cork popping out didn't hurt your wine as long as you get to it fairly quickly (like within a couple of days). On the other hand, your wine is cooked which might not be so great.

On yet another hand, a $10 wine probably isn't subtle or delicate. Swig it and have a good time.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

there's plenty of $10 wine that could be ruined by baking it. Merlot, otoh, there's so much generic stuff that who could tell the difference?

At worse, can cook with it still.

When I bring wine out to the DZ, which I do in place of beer, I keep it in whatever covered areas are available, in the backpack.

Corked doesn't mean the cork came out. It means a bad cork fouled the wine.

Not really. Corked means that at one point, the cork allowed air to go through while still being in the neck, which in the process brought the "taste" of cork into the wine. The idea behind using a cork is that if kept in temperate temperature with a slight humidity, the cork expands, hence sealing the bottle shut. If kept in a dry place, the cork will contract, allowing air to seep through and inside the bottle. At least that's my understanding of it.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Corked means that at one point, the cork allowed air to go through while still being in the neck, which in the process brought the "taste" of cork into the wine.

Still not quite true. When a wine is corked, it has been contaminated by tainted cork tree. The chemical in question is usually TCA (2,4,6-Trichloroanisole). This is a naturally occurring process on older cork trees, and can be alleviated and removed by using plastic corks or screw caps.

A small amount of air getting into the wine is usually a good thing (called oxidation) which help mature the wine, depending on the type of grape. Too much oxidation will ruin all wine, so it's important to have the appropriate porosity of cork (some are made in dual or triple-layers for just this), and it's also important to follow the vintner's advice about when to drink.

When I used to drink, I used to read a lot about it. Sadly, this knowledge now goes to waste :P

Edit - this is a long-winded way of me saying that Narcimund is right. I guess I should add some reference:
http://www.cellarnotes.net/corked_wine.htm
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Edit - this is a long-winded way of me saying that Narcimund is right.

I'm used to people impulsively telling me I'm wrong, often with vigor and prejudice. This might be a first.

People rarely check first to see if the person they're contradicting happens to know what they're talking about.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Nick, please hand over your French passport now.

Ahah! Yeah, that's probably appropriate.:D
Narcimund, my deepest heartfelt apologies.:)

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I'm used to people impulsively telling me I'm wrong, often with vigor and prejudice. This might be a first.

Yes, well I'm partial to people that take the time and good manners to have a nice dinner with me and other good friends :)

Next time you guys are in town, look us up.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD