waltappel

armadillo pics

A couple of the local armadillos have decided that they like scrambled egg yolks with a little extra olive oil. Here are a couple of shots I took a few minutes ago of one of them.

Armadillos normally stay away from people but it looks like they have gotten used to me.

Walt

That's awesome! I have never a seen an armadillo that was not dead by the side of the road!

They really do exist in non-roadkill form and apparently learn and retain information. One of the armadillos visits me every night and expects to eat eggs. Occasionally a second armadillo shows up too.

What's really cute is when they stand up on their hind legs. I'll get a good picture of that and post it one of these evenings.

Walt

...One of the armadillos visits me every night and expects to eat eggs. Occasionally a second armadillo shows up too.

Sounds like he's bringing his GF on a cheap date....
I guess it beats McDonalds, eh?
:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

...One of the armadillos visits me every night and expects to eat eggs. Occasionally a second armadillo shows up too.

Sounds like he's bringing his GF on a cheap date....
I guess it beats McDonalds, eh?
:D

Definitely a cheap date. That armadillo can really eat too. I eat a lot of eggs, but not the yolks. I started saving the yolks and cooking them as a treat for the raccoons I feed every night. The raccoons get either dry dog food or dry cat food every night and now were getting the occasional egg yolk omelette as a side dish.

After the armadillo discovered those cooked egg yolks he started showing up every night and looking for them. It became a race between the armadillo and the raccoons as to who could eat the eggs the fastest.

Since the raccoons already eat pretty well with the dry food I put out for them, I started scrambling the eggs to make them easier for the armadillo to eat and putting them on the ground next to the chair I sit in when I watch the raccoons. The chair is 6 - 8 ft. from the raccoons and they don't like to get much closer than 2-3 ft.

The armadillo, on the other hand, wants those eggs and will come right up to me. The armadillo eats 5 egg yolks very quickly and, after finishing, wants more.

The normal diet for an armadillo is bugs--roaches and the like. I guess after eating bugs for years those eggs must taste pretty good!

Walt

Be careful, don't be too friendly. I had an armadillo start showing up around my house last year. He decided he like it so much he would move in. He dug a huge hole all the way under the foundation of my house. It became a nightmare to deal with. He later started digging little holes all over my yard every night. I finally had to flood him out of the hole and fill it with mothballs to keep him out. If you want to get rid of him, they are very sensitive to smell. Spreading mothballs or cayenne pepper or something like that will drive them away.

-OK
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

Living in the south, I can attest to the damage that armadillos can do. They tear up the yard, YES they can get under the house, tear up foundation and EVEN get into the interior walls of a house. Yeah, they are cool lookin' little tanks , they don't see well at all, but I wouldn't encourage this behavior.

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

I started saving the yolks and cooking them as a treat for the raccoons I feed every night. The raccoons get either dry dog food or dry cat food every night and now were getting the occasional egg yolk omelette as a side dish.

You are *feeding* the local racoons and armidillos? Dude - you have balls! Hope it's not your house :o And if it's not, I hope you hate your landlord. Those things are gonna be the biggest pain in the ass for you. Maybe when you go on vacation, you can hire sitters to keep feeding them at night :ph34r: Seriously, they tell their friends about the free lunch, and pretty soon, you got every critter in the state digging through your trash, digging in your lawn and they'll even come inside your house if you leave a window open.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD