mailin

Regret in skydiving

I've had some deep relection lately.

The weather was a bit crappy here this past weekend, so I decided to stay at home rather than venture to the DZ and spend some time with my family. I spent Saturday with my Mom, we did lunch and a movie (Exorcism of Emily Rose - great flick, go see it!!) and some clothes shopping - it was lots of fun. She reminded me that we hadn't had one of those days since April - when skydiving started to kick into gear; and we used to get together for a day and talk all the time.

Today I've been listening to the classical internet station - lots of very moving pieces and now I'm sad. I sold my clarinet (I had named her Tracy) in January to pay for AFF. I don't regret the decision because my TMJ did not allow me to play anymore and frankly, she could have done much better being played than collecting dust. I travelled to NY City to deliver her a man that was visiting family for the holidays - he was from New Orleans. I just heard that the school he ran (an arts school) suffered major damage in the hurricane. The thought of Tracy being destroyed has me so sad. When I purchased her in HS (it was so much money!) there was so much hope pinned on her (I was a music major) - and now not only is she gone from my life, but she may be destroyed.

Not a grand thing to be thinking of today, and its not enough for me to re-think anything because skydiving has been the highlight of my life and I'm not about to give it up, and don't really plan on scaling anything back - but I am looking forward to the end of the season when I can catch up on things that have been neglected. Its all about balance I guess - and I'm looking forward to getting some of that back.

Do you have regret from skydiving?

Jen
Arianna Frances

One. When I was on a HALO/SCUBA team in SF, that I didn't ets (get out of Army) before I got a chance to go to HALO. I passed SCUBA and became certfied Advanced Open Water, and that has been fun through the years, but I often think what it would have been like if I'd stayed in and gone through HALO back in 1979. Just think of all those years I could have been skydiving ;)

Yeah, a few. I regret trashing my credit for skydiving - not once, but twice. I regret thinking I wanted to own a gear store. Some days I regret getting so involved in this industry that it can be difficult to be an anonymous fun jumper at just about any dz I go to.

And I'll always regret not telling certain people how important they were to me before they went in.

Jen, think of the satisfaction that Tracy might have given a child.

You nailed it, it's all about balance. I guess I've done it right, because I have no regrets from skydiving. But it did take me a hell of a long time to get to my jump numbers. I used the balance over those years, and I hope I still do.

Cheer up, it's Monday and you'll be out at Perris very soon.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I "started" and fell in love w/ skydiving when I was 18, but had to give it up for lack of money.

You should have learned to pack, I started at 18 too!:P

I don't have any regrets in skydiving, it allowed me to gain some life experience that would have probably taken me about a decade to get on my own.

But....

Even though I still love skydiving, I'm looking forward to not being a DZ employee and being able to spend my weekends doing other things with my boyfriend for a while. Probably will be a few more years until I can afford that though.. mmm.. backpacking every weekend..:)
-Karen

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

I was a boring SOB before I started jumping. I lived my job. [:/] The only thing I had was a dog.

I had to put her down over a year ago. I'd love to get another dog, but I travel to boogies way too much for that. It wouldn't be fair. [:/]
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

A thoughtful post -- enjoyed reading it.

You're lucky though that you're learning early what took me years to realize... the concept of balance. You'll actually enjoy skydiving more when your life is enhanced by it rather than revolving around it. Don't let your Mecca become your Armageddon.

-----
I am Dyslexia of Borg, futility is resistant, your ass will be laminated.