skyberdyber

Opinions - Best Colorado snowboarding?

I'm starting to plan a trip. I've been to Park City several times, Jackson Hole, Whistler, and Vermont among others.

But I've never been snowboarding in Colorado and I'm looking for opinions on the best place to go and why. Not just opinions on terrain but opinions on nightlife, price, lodging, everything.

Thanks

Trey

http://www.skydiveatlanta.com
http://www.musiccityskydiving.com

One of the many options is Summit County, you have 4 ski areas in the same county, basically 20-30 min apart worst case, a free shuttle system between them too. Lots of places to eat, and stay! Breckenridge, Keystone, Copper and Arapahoe basin all there...and Vail about 45 min up the road. (depending on weather).
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

My fav is either Copper or Winter Park/Mary Jane. Copper is nice as they have a good variety of terrain...it is also owned by the same company that owns Whistler (I believe). It is only about 30 min from Vail but you don't have the "snobbish" crowd.

Mary Jane up at the Park is also nice. There are a lot of good runs, especially if you like trees. Because of the higher elevation you will usually have a little more powder. I can't tell you how many days I have spent carving my own line in knee-deep pow pow at the Jane in the trees :P
"I don't know where it is that I'm going, but wherever it is there I'll be!" --quoted by me

3 years ago I spent the season in Summit County. Breck, A Basin, Copper, Keystone (the outback is very nice) and of course back country on the divide. You can hike out pretty far, drop in, ride, and once you're at the bottom, stick out your thumb and catch a ride. Also, tons of places to pull over and shovel out a nice kicker. Summit County is the shiiite.

Vail is the best skiing / snowboarding I've ridden in the country. Second in my experience only to Whistler. Huge wide open back bowls that were covered in deep stuff while I was there. Way too huge to explore in the limited time I had. I've also hit Steamboat when the snow was great and had a good time. Aspen is great but the 4 mountains are somewhat spread out. Telluride didn't have great snow when I was there but has a few good steeps.

Have fun.
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

If you go to any of the bigger resorts it will probably be good.

IMHO If you are willing to spend the money, Vail is hands down the best resort in Colorado (at least of the one's I have visited). The back bowls on a powder day are amazing, and you can find just about anything you want on the mountain...it is massive. I have been skiing in colorado for 15 years and I still have not been everywhere at vail. There is a good nightlife there too. You will find lodging in vail pricey though.

If you are looking for something extreme think A-Basin or crested butte.

Breckenridge is fairly flat overall, but has a great terrain park.

Copper mtn and Keystone are both steeper than breckenridge and fairly large.

I learned to ski at winter park / mary jane. It is a great place to ski and Mary Jane has some of the best moguls in the state.

Summit county is probably your best choice to stay at as the lodging is significanty cheaper then elsewhere. There are 4 resorts (keystone, breckenridge, copper mtn., a-basin) within 30 mins and you can find a little bit of everything. Breckenridge has a great nightlife as well. You can also drive to Vail or Winter park in about 45 mins to an hour from most places in summit county.

You know, it really doesnt matter where you go, you'll have a good time!

Breckenridge is fairly flat overall, but has a great terrain park.

Copper mtn and Keystone are both steeper than breckenridge and fairly large.

???

Is this the same Breckenridge that has a mountain called Peak 10?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

yeah yeah, peak 10...everyone says that when I complain about breck being flat.

There is some decent stuff there, but not enough to make up for the rest of the mountain.

Breck is the one mountain on my 5 mountain pass I rarely visit. Maybe it's just me...

Breck is the one mountain on my 5 mountain pass I rarely visit. Maybe it's just me...

Breck is nice. The party after dark is awesome around town. Copper kicks ass! A-Basin has some really good runs along with Keystone. Loveland is fairly close to Denver and has some steep runs. Vail was nice but I personly felt way out of my league. To many rich yuppies there. But if you want the best damn powder and dry snow and nice runs and not have to deal with the bid crowds go check out Steambost Springs. You will not regret it!
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Vail was nice but I personly felt way out of my league.

Ya, see that's good info for me. What's the vibe like at each place? I'm not a hardcore Jeff Spicoli type of snowboarder but I'm not in with that yuppie thing either.
I like a variety of runs, some moguls, some trees, always powder. My fav is Jackson Hole. One thing I don't like about Whistler for example is that the way it's designed, getting up to the good runs took an hour on the lifts and we had to spend about 30 minutes on green trails to get back down to the resort area at the end of each day.
Night life is important but I'm usually too tired to party balls to the wall.

So where to stay in Summit County that doesn't cost a fortune?

http://www.skydiveatlanta.com
http://www.musiccityskydiving.com

If you're a good boarder, Arapahoe Basin. If you're just learning, Breckenridge (crowded). If you have a lot of money and time to get there, I think Aspen allows boarders now - not sure. Aspen is my favorite all-around place.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Anywhere Mary (flyangle2) is. ;):D

since when is mary an angle?

Bwahahaha....

Though be careful if you board with her, she will wear your ass out!!! :ph34r:
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I'm starting to plan a trip. I've been to Park City several times, Jackson Hole, Whistler, and Vermont among others.

But I've never been snowboarding in Colorado and I'm looking for opinions on the best place to go and why. Not just opinions on terrain but opinions on nightlife, price, lodging, everything.

Thanks

Trey

I love keystone and my old roommate (from colorado) gives it his endorsement too. And not too far is A-Basin, which is a place I always wanted to try.

I know that when I was at Keystone and going off the bowls into the woods, we were in there for at least an hour without running into people. It was nice. I don't know about price for lodging though. We got a nice hook up from a friend.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Anywhere Mary (flyangle2) is. ;):D

since when is mary an angle?

Bwahahaha....

Though be careful if you board with her, she will wear your ass out!!! :ph34r:

I guess that leaves Skymama out... :|:P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Hey Trey -- you have to go to Mary Jane!!

Winter Park is awesome. If you go, stay at the Beaver Village Lodge. It's a total shit hole, so bring your own sheets, but it's cheap, and the included breakfast and dinner isn't that bad. And hey, no making fun of me for having worked at a place called Beaver Village.

As far as nightlife, it's been a few seasons since I lived there, but there were a few cool places and always a special somewhere. It's very chill, not too many tourists, so if you're looking to go out every night and tear it up, WP's probably not the place.

Steamboat is down the road for a change of scenery, and so are hot springs for a day trip.

You must ride the bumps at Mary Jane. I don't know what it's like since Intrawest took over, and there was talk of grooming more, which would suck, but I'm sure it's still amazing.

Have fun!

Lara
Blue Skies Mag

LOL...there's not much to it. I broke both my wrists on my first attempt at snowboarding. :ph34r: I went on the last day of the season on an icy slope in NC. I have now found out that probably wasn't the best idea. That ice was hard, I didn't even have my arms behind me, they were at my sides!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon