airtwardo

Now HERE'S something...

I've heard that some original passenger planes had square windows for aesthetic reasons, but then the manufacturers found out that they cause metal fatigue at the corners, and a few planes would mysteriously break up mid-flight and crash. Is this an older DC-3?
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Is that Al's plane in your picture? If so i've jumped that for a demo before...

We walked out the back door to his house and got in his plane and took off.. pretty cool as it was a developed residential area with a paved runway splitting all the houses.

I've heard that some original passenger planes had square windows for aesthetic reasons, but then the manufacturers found out that they cause metal fatigue at the corners, and a few planes would mysteriously break up mid-flight and crash. Is this an older DC-3?

Your statement is true in regard to pressurized cabin aircraft. The 'Comet' being most noteworthy.

* No, this is in fact the NEWEST DC~3!B|

It was made about 5 years or so AFTER production stopped.

It was commissioned by the Government as a transport for one of the Rockefellers who was Secretary of State (or some such thing) at the time, so he could head south of the Equator on a 'good will' type junkit...

He requested NEW a DC~3 because of its reliability, and wanted extra soundproofing...and large 'bay' windows, as well as sleeping & cooking facilities.

At least that's what some old guy standing next to her told me...:$

I don't know how Continental came to own it...but it's always down in the 777 hangar at Bush airport.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Is that Al's plane in your picture? If so i've jumped that for a demo before...

We walked out the back door to his house and got in his plane and took off.. pretty cool as it was a developed residential area with a paved runway splitting all the houses.

Yup..it's Al's...

And 'Polly Ranch' is also home to a number of Astronauts that 'commute' via personal aircraft...

Neat set up isn't it....100,000 dollar house, 1/2 million dollar hangar! He's got HIS priorities right!!B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Nice one. We have had Mr Douglas grounded for about 6 years now. I just wish they would do something. Too much history just rotting away on the Tarmac in Tullahoma TN. This plane has been in a few movies etc. Picture kinda fuzzy but had to scale down. Ive made several jumps from that plane and always had a blast. We got to 18,000 ft AGL on the last load of the day one time needless to say we got out rather fast. Whew, what a long Skydive :o

* No, this is in fact the NEWEST DC~3!B|

It was made about 5 years or so AFTER production stopped.

It was commissioned by the Government as a transport for one of the Rockefellers who was Secretary of State (or some such thing) at the time, so he could head south of the Equator on a 'good will' type junkit...

He requested NEW a DC~3 because of its reliability, and wanted extra soundproofing...and large 'bay' windows, as well as sleeping & cooking facilities.

At least that's what some old guy standing next to her told me...:$

I don't know how Continental came to own it...but it's always down in the 777 hangar at Bush airport.

I found a web site that claims it was built in 1940, and delivered to American Airlines...

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

They used to have a gooney they'd run down to the keys on weeks that had a big picture window on the starboard side.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

Whats wrong with MR.D and who owns it now?

Well, we lost an engine for one and its just been sitting around. The guy who owns it name is Mark from I think around lakeland FL I believe. Cant remember his last name. Got word from FBO Tullahoma he found spare engine from South Africa but still nothing and thats been 2 yrs now.
Someone please revive this Baby Please! [:/]

Whats wrong with MR.D and who owns it now?

Well, we lost an engine for one and its just been sitting around. The guy who owns it name is Mark from I think around lakeland FL I believe. Cant remember his last name. Got word from FBO Tullahoma he found spare engine from South Africa but still nothing and thats been 2 yrs now.
Someone please revive this Baby Please! [:/]

mr. D isn't the dc-3 that's been sitting at FBO Tullahoma for several years now, is it?

-the artist formerly known as sinker