Scoop

Triathlon V Pilot

The triathlon is the canopy that does everything. It just does everything really really poorly. ...

Dave, Dave...how wrong you are. Tsk, Tsk
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

The triathlon is the canopy that does everything. It just does everything really really poorly. ...

Dave, Dave...how wrong you are. Tsk, Tsk

Yeah, I don't know what the hell he's talking about. I love my Triathlon, it's done everything I wanted to and a little more, very well. He's just spoiled with ellipticals... :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Yeah, I don't know what the hell he's talking about. I love my Triathlon, it's done everything I wanted to and a little more, very well. He's just spoiled with ellipticals

I've been saying this for quite some time now. I jumped a PD Storm this last weekend, it blows the Tri clean out of the water in just about every aspect. PD isn't the only company with a 7-cell product that just plainly shows how out dated and how poorly the Tri flies.

The pilot is a good canopy, though.

I'd rather jump that old ragged out Raider 220 that I used to jump then a Tri.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Aw c'mon, Dave. You're sounding like a PD rep or somebody who has forgotten what it was like to be a conservative canopy pilot. There's a reason why there are no Tri's and Pilots on the swoop circuit.

So you don't like the Tri and/or Pilot. They still help fill a large market niche and do everything as advertised..and do it well. Simple as that.

Have fun with the Raider! I have access to a Nova you might want to swoop! All it needs is a couple of patches and some new lines.
:D:D:P

Naw, I like the Pilot and I think its a good canopy. I just honestly can't understand why someone would jump a Tri any more when there are much better 7-cell canopies out there that fill that part of the market and fly so much better.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Triathlon's are good canopies! I own 3 99's and love them. They surf pretty decent for a 7 cell square, and they're nice and stable and open sweet. And for those of us on a budget, purely because they don't have the PD name they're cheaper.

As well as for casual CRW, Spectres and Triathlon's play well with Lightnings, but everything I've read is that the Storm is not compatible with Lightnings.

I'm not sure what you hate about Triathlons, but mine open nice, fly good in CRW, and land well. What else do I need?

I'm not sure what you hate about Triathlons, but mine open nice, fly good in CRW, and land well. What else do I need?

I can see where the reputation of brisker openings and not as good a flare as a spectre or the new storm would be a negative for an ALL around canopy. But with proper packing the Tri isn't that hard on opening ( concede not as good as the spectre ). Plus the 4.0 brake mod helps the bottom end, even though some canopys do this better.

But in the words of a well respected canopy pilot with over 20,000 7-cell jumps who said "jumpers have forgotten how to land 7-cell canopys over the years" This inspires me to really nail the fundamentals that a lot of wanna be canopy pilots are talking about, on my tri, The ones that can't stand up their reserves because of drastically different fundamentals compared to their zippy 9-cell mains.

Its mainly a WingSuit main where the local trend is flying F-111 reserves for mains. Its got the three rings and all dacron lines for some casual CReW. I've really come to love it and you can get them dirt cheap.

It is by no means the most demanding to land canopy I have. I have a couple of lightnings and someone just loaned me an AR-7 to test jump.

Naw, I like the Pilot and I think its a good canopy. I just honestly can't understand why someone would jump a Tri any more when there are much better 7-cell canopies out there that fill that part of the market and fly so much better.

Because the price was right and its a very kind canopy (to me) :)
I'd trade it in for a storm though....

I just honestly can't understand why someone would jump a Tri any more when there are much better 7-cell canopies out there that fill that part of the market and fly so much better.

So? They are cheap, open soft and without baby sitting, fly OK, and land soft. I like it.

RE: The Tri
"I can see where the reputation of brisker openings ..."

Wow! Out of the blue. Never, ever heard that before.

I got my first Tri because the original owner didn't like how soft it opened and wanted something "more brisk". I tried to tell him about slider placement but he had his mind made up so he gave it to me really, really cheap...which fit my wallet nicely at the time.
:D:D

The OP will like his Pilot, I'm sure.